1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. politico

politico Senior Member

Driving Shoes, socks or no socks?

2. AE7

AE7 Senior Member

socks-really short one that do not go over the shoes
    no socks - baby powder/talc

3. onix

onix Distinguished Member

Driving Shoes, socks or no socks?
    Either way is fine. If you wear them with shorts then you should not wear socks. If you have sweat problem, get some liner socks.

4. chopp

chopp Active Member

looking to start a shoe collection on a budget (yes i've searched)

what do you all reccomend as a good shoe to start off with? ive been eying the AE park avenue in dark brown for a dressier shoe to go with less formal suits.

i also need a nice shoe that i can wear to a casual office, most people wear jeans, but i throw in slim trousers here and there. lets just pretend i have no dress shoes currently, and need a few pairs to rotate through the monday-friday work week. keep in mind im in my 20's and will likely be wearing raw denim here and there. thanks!

5. binge

binge Distinguished Member

If the Park Avenue fits your budget, go for it. You can also probably score some nice shoes from Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers on sale in the coming weeks that would be in the same price range (on sale) as full-retail Allen-Edmonds. Of course, with sales YMMV.

As for matching denim and such, give the SW&D forum a spin. You'll see lots of examples and advice just browsing through the existing posts there. A chelsea boot might work, or a chukka or desert boot if you want something even more casual.

There's no single, correct answer, but a lot of examples of things here on the forum; spend some time browsing and you'll decide what you do and don't like in a short time.

6. gabe23111

gabe23111 New Member

Hello, I am huge fan of this forum. I have never posted before and am at the beginning of my learning stage in terms of "mens style"

I purchased a Zegna suit and am hoping that it is not a knock-off. Shown are pictures of the inside jacket label. If anyone can help tell me what these labels mean I would be very greatful.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

oh.... I paid $450 for the suit. Is that the correct price point for this suit?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. tozzy

tozzy Member

for someone wearing a suit max twice a year (coincidentally, i also only own one, black), would you recommend getting handmade shoes or buy something off the shelf?

8. kgmessier

kgmessier Distinguished Member

for someone wearing a suit max twice a year (coincidentally, i also only own one, black), would you recommend getting handmade shoes or buy something off the shelf?
    This is a confusing question. Are you saying you're looking for shoes to go with the suit you only wear once or twice a year? If so, I'd get something off the shelf, even if money is no object. Just be sure to shop around and get something that fits well. Use the money you save to pour into something else"”like a decent charcoal suit. [​IMG]

9. SpartanUndressed

SpartanUndressed Active Member

A few quick questions:

1. Is there a general faq or book about modern style? It's amazing how little I know about clothes, and I would like to get a bit more up to speed.

2. Going along with the above. I recently purchased a few suits off the rack (sorry, i'm not at the custom made suit phase yet), and will be taking them to a local tailor. What should I ask for from the tailor? What should I make sure is absolutely done to my off the rack suits? What processes should I confirm with the tailor are done? What is a reasonable amount of money to expect to spend on having an off the rack suit tailored?

3. Are there services that will come to my home, look at my closet, and tell me what should be thrown out, what goes with what, etc? How much would something like this cost and how much time would it take? In my head, it seems like this is a couple hours of work?

10. dah328

dah328 Distinguished Member

A few quick questions:

1. Is there a general faq or book about modern style? It's amazing how little I know about clothes, and I would like to get a bit more up to speed.

The Men's Clothing forum here is generally about style rather than fashion so one could call it "modern" only in the sense that it is not based on Victorian-era men's clothing. The idea is that proper tailored clothing for men looks good now, would have looked good 30 years ago and will look good in 30 more years. Along those lines, some books worth reading would be Flusser's Dressing the Man or the slightly more advanced The Suit by Nicholas Antongiavanni.

The Streetwear & Denim forum here is a lot more about current casual fashion. If you have questions about jeans or other casual attire, that is the place to go.

What I think you are really asking is how a suit should fit so you know what alterations the tailor will need to make to achieve that fit. One of the books I mentioned above is the best place to get that info. The cost depends on how extensive the necessary alterations. It can easily run $100 for a couple common alterations such as shortening jacket sleeves, hemming trousers, and taking in the waist of the trousers and the jacket.

Yes, there are wardrobe consultants who will do that, but they are usually expensive and performed under the agreement that you will spend $5-10k on a new wardrobe purchased from vendors from whom the wardrobe consultant receives a commission. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot in the way of a middle ground between doing it all yourself and hiring someone expensive.

11. GiltEdge

GiltEdge Distinguished Member

It is all about the chest and shoulder measurements. There are too many variables to rely on tag sizes.

How about Kiton?

12. dah328

dah328 Distinguished Member

How about Kiton?
    It's no different than with any other label. You need to look at the shoulder and chest measurements.

13. BlueEggs

BlueEggs Well-Known Member

14. KtownGreg

KtownGreg Senior Member

Wrong forum

15. bapelolol

bapelolol Senior Member

what is the best way to remove wax from a shoe after it has been worn?