Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. onix

onix Senior member

I just received this MTM suit from one of the Asia-based travelling tailors. I was measured by one of their tailors when he was in town a couple of months back. The suit was straight out of the box in these photos, so it is still very wrinkled. However, my immediate concern is that there is too much waist suppression - certainly more than any of my other suits, including the one I wore when I was fitted.

Thoughts? Also, I assume that a jacket that is too nipped in the waist cannot be fixed by a tailor.

Thanks!

perfect! imho

the tailor might have left some material to enable you to have it let out a bit

Perfect IMO. I think the shoulders are a bit wide, however.

What?

Ugh, I don't know how either of you can say that. It looks like a woman's jacket. It also looks like it's tighter on one side than on the other.

+1. The jacket looks really off at the waist. Extremely close quarter, pinstripes are not parallel at all. I would say it's because of the cut. Look at the unbuttoned photo. the two sides close in at the bottom instead of flare out a little like normal jacket. I am not sure if this is fixable without butchering the jacket.

2. AE7

AE7 Senior member

Are the garments specially produced for big american malls (i.e. ''Canali for Saks'', ''Cucinelli for Bergdorf Goodman'') of a same quality as the normal stuff produced without the additional labeling?

3. surlyjackalope

surlyjackalope New Member

Perhaps. I am a hair under 6' 2 and have a fairly slender build and narrow hips. The waist suppression, I think, draws too much attention to my slenderness.

4. onix

onix Senior member

Are the garments specially produced for big american malls (i.e. ''Canali for Saks'', ''Cucinelli for Bergdorf Goodman'') of a same quality as the normal stuff produced without the additional labeling?

In general no, they're produced based on the specification of the retailer. However, some companies refuse to compromise quality (I would say Cucinelli, not sure about Canali), so it's relatively safe getting them from the retailers. Of course, there are companies that will produce whatever.

5. N.Nap

N.Nap New Member

Hello, I'm new here and in some desperate need of help. I'm 18 years old and am attending a friend's birthday party tomorrow. The attire for the evening is "black and white formal" but having said that, I don't expect anyone to be wearing a tuxedo, or even a suit for that matter. I hate terribly to be underdressed, while overdressing is also a bit perturbing to me as well. Would it be acceptable to pair white trousers, black shoes, a slightly casual button down dressed up by a black v-neck sweater, while bringing along a skinny tie and a jacket just in case? Any input is greatly appreciated.

6. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Hello, I'm new here and in some desperate need of help. I'm 18 years old and am attending a friend's birthday party tomorrow. The attire for the evening is "black and white formal" but having said that, I don't expect anyone to be wearing a tuxedo, or even a suit for that matter. I hate terribly to be underdressed, while overdressing is also a bit perturbing to me as well. Would it be acceptable to pair white trousers, black shoes, a slightly casual button down dressed up by a black v-neck sweater, while bringing along a skinny tie and a jacket just in case? Any input is greatly appreciated.
    For invitations in which the formality of attire is not expressed in standard terms, you're best served by asking the host exactly what he or she means. If I were in your position and trousers and a sweater are what the host has in mind, I would cringe at the improper use of "formal" but perhaps wear the tie you mentioned under the sweater or something like that.

7. AE7

AE7 Senior member

In general no, they're produced based on the specification of the retailer. However, some companies refuse to compromise quality (I would say Cucinelli, not sure about Canali), so it's relatively safe getting them from the retailers. Of course, there are companies that will produce whatever.

thanx!

8. elegantgentleman

elegantgentleman Senior member

Black and white formal implies tuxedo, but if you don't think that's what they mean, they you should ask. I'm guessing you don't own a tuxedo at your age, so renting one unnecessarily is an expensive and time-consuming mistake.

9. elegantgentleman

elegantgentleman Senior member

Is the lack of a lapel buttonhole (nothing there at all!) for suit jackets & blazers a sign of a poor quality garment? I have a wonderful, older, 3-piece suit that seems to be very well made, but oddly enough there is nothing on the left lapel whatsoever.

10. theyare

theyare Senior member

Quick question - for convertible cuffs (where there are two side by side buttons so the cuff can be buttoned at different widths) what is the typical extra cuff width you get by buttoning to the second button. 1/2", 1?

11. JustinMcAfee

JustinMcAfee Member

Just bought these shoes, what should they be worn with? Dark denim jeans? Dress slacks? My new white linen suit? [​IMG]

12. JustinMcAfee

JustinMcAfee Member

My go to in this case is ALWAYS a white shirt with tightly rolled sleeves up to my elbows, a skinny black tie, and black slacks. Also, black shoes! I would definitely wear the tie, then loosen it and undo my top button if i felt too dressed up. (Also, hurrah for being 18 and concerned with how you dress! I'm 18 as well and dreadfully concerned with my friends ability to apply for jobs in blue jeans and Tee-shirts.)

13. AE7

AE7 Senior member

[​IMG] need expert advise! how much does this watch worth if in working order and with all docs? presumably the watch case and the metal strap is plated. cheers

14. AE7

AE7 Senior member

My go to in this case is ALWAYS a white shirt with tightly rolled sleeves up to my elbows, a skinny black tie, and black slacks. Also, black shoes! I would definitely wear the tie, then loosen it and undo my top button if i felt too dressed up. (Also, hurrah for being 18 and concerned with how you dress! I'm 18 as well and dreadfully concerned with my friends ability to apply for jobs in blue jeans and Tee-shirts.)

this would like like inbetween justin timberlake and the waiter from the italian chain restaurant.

to the 18er - put on slim blue jeans, white slim shirt (tucked in), tie optionally (dont loosen it!), and brownish suede shoes.

15. AE7

AE7 Senior member

Just bought these shoes, what should they be worn with? Dark denim jeans? Dress slacks? My new white linen suit?

[​IMG]

no offense, but if you still can - return them to the store