• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Gandalf28

Reaction score
I ordered a full zip vest from Brooks Brothers last week. To my horror, it had 2 holes in it! I heard Brooks Brothers made good stuff, but this experience has confounded me. I suppose some deals (even black friday deals) are too good to be true. That said, if I was looking for a good quality cotton vest and sweater, which companies would be good to consider. Things to keep in mind: size wise, I am a slightly husky; with regard to my height, I am around 5 ft 5 inches; and economically speaking, I just started my career, so wouldn't want to spend too much. Any good suggestions?

DjangoV

Reaction score
How van you tell if a jacket is orphaned or odd?
Reason I ask is this Hugo Boss Einstein Sigma jacket I have in front of me now.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm trying to sell something. When they ask me " how much shipped", what exactly does that mean, Am I paying for shipping, are they? Are they asking for a total price to pay with shipping included?

Also, whats the best parcel service from Toronto to the States? ( price wise)

I was told trackable post is good and takes about a week or so.

The more express methods of sending are double the cost or greater, it appears.

bik2101

Reaction score
@bik2101 Regarding the fit, was it too boxy? What other peacoat brands would you recommend besides Sterlingwear?
i thought it was too boxy. i just ended up buying a vintage us navy peacoat off of ebay

Buitenspel

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a question concerning what to buy next regarding shirts. I recently lost quite some weight so had to re-establish my closet. First of all, I am very short (1.65m, 5'5) and now athletic build. Therefore, no OTR shirt so far fit me despite for maybe H&M shirts which are rather tight around the chest. Therefore, I've decided to make use of online tailors. My first shirt was from iTailor, a pink one (yeah I know, but it was their deal of the week and I needed to get my measurements right), however the fit wasn't great as there is no possibility for input of for example biceps. Hereafter, I ordered my first white (classic collar, no pocket etc) shirt which is their test shirt. The fit was great, however, the biceps one centimeter too tight. So hereafter, I ordered another one of their test shirts, the OCBD (light) blue.

So long story short, now I have the measurements right, I want to order shirts with a bit more quality. So now my question it, what should I get. So far I have:

- White dress shirt
- OCBD light blue
- Grey & black shirt from H&M

I am thinking about getting a shirt with gingham pattern, but my girlfriend thinks it is for old people. Therefore, styleforum, I ask you for your suggestions (I was thinking about Luxire).

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can someone explain this collar to me? Does this go under the ties?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Can someone explain this collar to me? Does this go under the ties?
It's called a tab collar, and, yes, it goes under the tie. It pops the tie out a bit like a collar pin.

Shambles

Reaction score
Hello all, quick question.

An invitation was dropped into my lap very last minute to a black tie optional party this weekend, and I'm facing two options. The first is go with the "optional" choice and wear a navy suit (which is tailored well to me), white shirt, and nice tie. The second option is rent a tux very last minute.

My situation is that I am in my mid twenties and do not at this time own a tux. The invitation was given to me by my boss, so it's one of those "I'd like you to be there" events that I'm definitely not wanting to miss. He said multiple times "Black tie optional" so I'm thinking I'd rather show up in a well-fitting suit than in a (most likely) ill-fitting rental tux.

Follow-up question, because I feel like I'll be asked why I don't own one already... What would you all recommend as a good starting point when looking for tuxedos? This is the first of what I'm assuming will be several black tie events I go to in this profession. Probably 3-5 a year.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's called a tab collar, and, yes, it goes under the tie. It pops the tie out a bit like a collar pin.

Figured as much. Thanks! This should be neat!

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hello all, quick question.

An invitation was dropped into my lap very last minute to a black tie optional party this weekend, and I'm facing two options. The first is go with the "optional" choice and wear a navy suit (which is tailored well to me), white shirt, and nice tie. The second option is rent a tux very last minute.

My situation is that I am in my mid twenties and do not at this time own a tux. The invitation was given to me by my boss, so it's one of those "I'd like you to be there" events that I'm definitely not wanting to miss. He said multiple times "Black tie optional" so I'm thinking I'd rather show up in a well-fitting suit than in a (most likely) ill-fitting rental tux.

Follow-up question, because I feel like I'll be asked why I don't own one already... What would you all recommend as a good starting point when looking for tuxedos? This is the first of what I'm assuming will be several black tie events I go to in this profession. Probably 3-5 a year.

I would just wear the suit with conservative accessories (white shirt, dark tie, black shoes).

What's your price range on the tux? Are you opposed to buying used?

deadAngle

Reaction score
And what's your size? There are plenty of beautiful tuxedos from the 1930s floating around on eBay.

Shambles

Reaction score
Thanks, I think I'll do suit and tie here and spend time looking into a nice tux.

I would just wear the suit with conservative accessories (white shirt, dark tie, black shoes).

What's your price range on the tux? Are you opposed to buying used?

My price range would be around $1,000 hopefully including shoes. Of course, that's negotiable if I find "the one". And I'm wary of used, but not completely opposed.

And what's your size?  There are plenty of beautiful tuxedos from the 1930s floating around on eBay.

40R/31 waist in trousers, pretty standard there. Very athletic build, so shoulders and legs are a tad difficult to fit. My tailor has done great work with a couple of suits I brought him, despite the fact that the trousers were already tight in the thighs.

And forgive my ignorance, but will a tux from the 30s, even one taken care of, be in great shape?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads