1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. doomx

doomx Senior member

Is this shirt collar too loose?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last two photos are with my neck turned to the side or flexed forward and to the side.

I expect about a 0.125 inch shrinkage with washing.

2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Looks good to me. The last photo is the only one that even hints at the possibility of it being too large, and it doesn't hint all that forcefully. I mean, your head was sort of tilted down, so that small gap by the back of your neck isn't particularly unreasonable.

You're the one wearing it, so if you're convinced it's too large I'll defer to your opinion in the matter. But to my eye it seems like you ought to quit worrying about the matter.

May I ask why you think it might be too loose? Plenty of men seem to believe that a collar's too snug, simply because they're not used to wearing neckties. Or because they refuse to admit to themselves that they've gained a few pounds. But thinking that a properly sized collar is too loose seems somewhat odd. I was wondering if there was some specific reason for you to be concerned about this.

3. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

I'm someone who likes to wear em tighter than most, just to be clear. Regardless, that looks fine to me. :nodding:

4. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Michael,

Here is a rear view of the fit:

[​IMG]

Please let me know your thoughts if you think it is too short. Where should the jacket length be hitting at the back ideally? I still have a week to return so I don't mind you saying it's too short flat out.

Another front view as well:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  5. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

To my eyes, yes it is slightly too short - in the order of 0.5-0.75". This is partly because the rest of the fit is so classic including the pants length, whilst the jacket is of a contemporary length.

It doesn't look so, particularly based on the second photo - I don't see that the tie is cinching the collar to hold it on your neck, but neither do I see the collar slipping down due to being too large. However, to be certain you are going to need to wash it and see what shrinkage occurs after a couple of cycles of wear and washing.

1 person likes this.
  6. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

It's okay. Half an inch or so longer would be better, but you can wear the suit and you needn't fret about its length. The real world isn't SF; you're unlikely to be held back in life, either socially or professionally, because your suit is a fraction of an inch shorter than the ideal.

Honestly, so many "modern fit" suits are so ridiculously short, that many people would probably think it too long if it were the traditional, proper length. (Not that your suit is an extremely modern fit, of course. I'm just saying that many people have been conditioned to think that a suit looks good, when by traditional standards it's actually too short and too tight.)

Again, don't fret over it. No man looks his best when he's second-guessing his choice of clothing. Wear it, be confident that it looks good on you, and go about your business. If ever you decide to shell out $4500 to have a bespoke suit made for you, then you can be unreasonably picky about every little detail. Until then, close enough is close enough.

2 people like this.
  7. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

You are good. If the neck is a bit loose, then a few SF forum members—about 0.0000000005 of world's population—will notice. If it is too tight, then you will feel it every day.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  8. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

Looks good to me.

1 person likes this.
  9. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

Your forgot :)

1. Baseball caps
    2. Fanny packs
    3. Clothing bearing the names of American sport teams

10. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

Hi guys - I've got a nice blue tuxedo jacket, but no pants to go with it (the matching pants sold out).
    How would it look as a set if I got black tuxedo pants made at a HK tailor? I mean, black is black so that's why I'm asking (I know it'll be difficult to get the exact same blue fabric).
    Happy to get thoughts on this or whether I'm being silly.
    Thanks!

11. Philby

Philby Member

Very important tuxedo question: I am in dire need of one here in the UK. Would gladly take recommendations for the best cheap option. However, I found (picture attached). They shawl lapel collar seems slightly off. Is this acceptable for strict black tie, or too fashion-forward?
    [​IMG]

12. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Senior member

Where can I buy proper newsboy caps with extended visors like the ones from Lock & Co in the US with the possibility of return? Mr Porter doesn't sell any Lock & Co newsboy at the moment. Most of the "newsboys" I've come across are flatcaps masquerading as newsboys. Thanks.

13. pravda

pravda Senior member

Try Rubenstein Brothers in new orleans. Call them because if they don't have them, there is a mens hat store next door I forgot the name but they can give to you.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  14. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Senior member

You mean this store? They only have a couple and they don't look anything like the Lock & Co offerings.

http://meyerthehatter.com/shop-by-style/newsboy-caps.html

15. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior member

It looks way off to me. Good cheap options (depending on your sense of 'cheap', starting from the cheapest): Marks & Spencer, Charles Tyrwhitt, Suit Supply, Ede & Ravenscroft

16. Philby

Philby Member

I searched around a bit. The local Ede & Ravenscroft, though lovely, is not affordable. M&S has only Polyester and Regular Fit suits in stock, and even though I intend to get the jacket tailored, I believe I would be better off opting for slim fit in the first place. The only suitable alternative that has emerged so far is the following. But I am slightly suspicious of the rather small peak lapel here. Is the other one really that bad?

[​IMG]

17. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Why don't you try SuitSupply??

18. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior member

Agreed, that looks considerably too narrow in the lapel. The manager in M&S might be able to order you a 100% wool model from another store, it's worth asking. If you don't want to go to the next price-point, and you want to buy new, I think that's probably your best bet still.

If you had the time I'd recommend searched second-hand, since there are a lot of dinner suits used only once or twice floating around, but if you're in a rush that might not work.

Regarding the other one posted above: if you're asking for my opinion, I really don't like it. But it's not for me. With a dinner suit I take the attitude that I'm only going to own one (at any given time) so I'd rather have exactly what I want, but you know your situation.

19. Philby

Philby Member

A tad too expensive to be honest. Considering I am still a student and the use for the suit will be around three times a year maybe.

I checked online and there is not a single slim fit pure wool option. I mean, I could search around, but I am de facto limited to Cambridge, where I have not found any suitable options so far.
    Bit of a dilemma, but thanks, your help is very appreciated.

20. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior member

No problem. Consider T.M. Lewin and Austin Reed at a push, but do try on the regular fit M&S suits if you haven't already. I have always found them about right given the price, and I wear drop 7 jackets usually. Obviously you're not going to get a super-slim fit, but nor should you want to IMO. I think M&S (and Tyrwhitt et al) have all divided their stock between a poor quality skinny fit aimed at the Topman crowd and a decent quality offering. Good luck.