• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

kloss

Reaction score
Thanks
I've only ordered from USA merchants to Canadian addresses before and the invoice was always taped to the outside.

.Impulsv

Reaction score
^It may have been customs.

Thanks for the advice in the thread. I visited the Suit Supply in DC and was impressed by what I tried on. Their slimmer fits fit me off-the-rack, without having to take in the waist. I had the opportunity to buy the JCrew Ludlow for half off though, so I bought that instead.

I noticed that I SS run large for me. I'm a 36R in their Napoli and London fits, but a 38R in Ludlow.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is wearing a nice cashmere cardigan under a suit considered professional business attire?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd go there, personally. I've never been in an office where I needed an extra layer of clothing, and outside I'd put an overcoat on. That's not to say it's wrong - I think if you're spending a day at your desk and just want to be comfortable with your jacket off, why not? But I wouldn't wear it to an interview or an important meeting with financiers. A bit like a suede derby. :)

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^It may have been customs.

Thanks for the advice in the thread. I visited the Suit Supply in DC and was impressed by what I tried on. Their slimmer fits fit me off-the-rack, without having to take in the waist. I had the opportunity to buy the JCrew Ludlow for half off though, so I bought that instead.

I noticed that I SS run large for me. I'm a 36R in their Napoli and London fits, but a 38R in Ludlow.

Gawd, that JCrew tweed is amazing!

I thrifted a pair of their moon pants and those things are freaking perfect. I'm taking them to the tailor to have them lengthened a hair, but they're the best. I tried on one of their blazers the other day and didn't want to take it off.

They did an amazing job with that line. It's pricey for JCrew, but totally worth it.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is wearing a nice cashmere cardigan under a suit considered professional business attire?

It would be odd, and if your suit is tailored to SF standards it would make your suit a bit tight.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I would probably wear a sweater or sweater vest that doesn't have buttons, personally.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would probably wear a sweater or sweater vest that doesn't have buttons, personally.
pb-120205-santorum-sweater-vest-nj-01.photoblog900.jpg

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For any eBay sellers, is it generally better to spend $5-10 to fix/mend an item before selling it, or just sell it as-is?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For any eBay sellers, is it generally better to spend $5-10 to fix/mend an item before selling it, or just sell it as-is?
I would ask this on the ebay thread, but I think it depends on the issue and how much you think you can get for it.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes, because that's exactly what styleforums users dress like!

And because an obdc shirt, long sleeve cardigan, and a blazer aren't redundant at all.

I guess I shouldn't spoken in absolutes though. I think a sweater (even perhaps one with buttons/zipper) could look good under a tweed blazer, under a suit jacket though?

There are exceptions for everything, but vests in 3 pieces aren't full sleeve and that's what you're essentially replacing with a cardigan.

Last edited:

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so what might go with a brown and black houndstooth (small pattern) jacket? Really like this jacket, but honestly not sure what to wear with it

Capitano

Reaction score
Just a quick question, this Ralph Lauren Purple Label Tie I really like a lot. Is it Fake or Original .. any suggestions ?

I know there are a lot of experts here who can tell.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads