1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. justonemore

justonemore Senior member

Perhaps with a bit of texture it would work a bit better..but...Do you think the bride is looking for a knit tie to be worn? Especially by a groomsman?

2. Paul Eilenberg

Paul Eilenberg New Member

3. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

No, they cannot be shined like that. As you have correctly surmised, they are made out of a leather that is too soft.

4. lemmy127

lemmy127 Senior member

For a versatile black tie that's nicer than Tie Bar, I'd go with Kent Wang's black grenadine tie. There's texture to it, but it isn't too casual like a knit tie.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  5. estranged

estranged Well-Known Member

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I really don't understand asking basic questions when you have such an obvious personal opinion. Just buy what you want, rather than discounting tons of good advice.

7. estranged

I am taking everyone's advice. And my own opinion changes every day, 2 days i ago i was about to buy tassel loafer, yesterday double monks and today thinking about boots.

Am I spamming thread or something? Just asking like 1 question a day if X shoe is 'good' or not with certain outfit, is it bothering you that much?

8. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Bothering me? No. It's weird though.

9. kopo

kopo Well-Known Member

Thanks for confirming

10. pravda

pravda Senior member

Well technically the bride didn't specify. But if her panties get in a wad, go with black velvet

11. Kevin24

Kevin24 Well-Known Member

I just bought a suit by David Donohue at Nordstroms.

It says Made in Canada on the tags. I was wondering which maker in Canada made David Donohue's stuff? Is it Samuelsohn, Empire, Jack Victor etc?

I also got another suit by Hart Schaffner Marx I was wondering if it was half-canvassed or fused. As the general consensus seems to be that HSM is half-canvassed but some people have said fused?

Thank you for your replies!

12. facet

facet Senior member

I thought a black grenadine tie was considered one of the most versatile ties one could have?

13. Steven Cash

Steven Cash Senior member

Hi,

As a complete novice to style and dressing (but having learnt a lot from this forum) I wonder whether somebody could advise on the appropriateness of a black belt.

I received the black belt at the same time as my black shoes which are strictly for formal occasions but obviously braces are the accepted norm for such occasions (annoyingly the braces would have cost a fraction of the belt but hey ho).

What would people's suggestions be as an appropriate outfit for a black belt or do I need a pair of non-formal black shoes to justify the belt?

14. mcmerc

mcmerc Member

Gents what are your thoughts on the versatility of a black Sportscoat such as the one below?
    [​IMG]
    Black, in theory, would seem like a versatile option. However is there not some incongruence between the rather formal colour and a Sportscoat itself being more casual?

15. chippneckwear

chippneckwear Well-Known Member

The jacket pictured meets my definition of a blazer. Many individuals consider a navy or black blazer the dressiest alternative to a suit. There is nothing wrong with a black blazer. I have always considered a navy or black blazer the single most useful item in menswear. It is universally accepted and can be worn to a broader range of situations than any other garment. One can change it's personality by how one accessorizes it - for example with a pink shirt and floral print tie.
    Paul Winston
    Winstron Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com

1 person likes this.
  16. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I don't favor black anything really, except for my tuxedo or funeral suit. They have their place, but I don't wear black with brown or navy, so if I were to wear a black jacket that would rule out 99% of my shoes. Not very practical for me. Black is a very stark color too so it is more jarring against clothing versus navy.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  17. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I think that outfit looks great on the model. However, I wouldn't wear it, and I can't think of any combination where I'd prefer that black blazer to a navy one.

2 people like this.
  18. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

The probably with a black suit is that any colors worn with it look really jarring. The only way to pull it off well is with a white shirt and monochrome (black, white, gray) tie. The look above works pretty well because it's only black and gray. When you introduce color, it looks tacky and inharmonious, at least from a CM perspective.

1 person likes this.
  19. estranged

How is this shoe versatility vise? This is museum calf color, is it as versatile as burgundy?

[​IMG]

20. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

It's extremely versatile. The color is ideal.

(Come on, people. estranged has been asking about shoes and more shoes, all the while practically begging us to tell him his latest choice is versatile and worth buying. He's bounced around from penny loafers to monkstraps to boots. Help put an end to the drama. Tell him that the shoe in question is unsurpassed in versatility, and he'd be utterly insane not to buy it and wear it brilliantly with everything from 3" running shorts to a tuxedo.)

2 people like this.