1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. justonemore

justonemore Senior member

Are you talking about polish applicators or buffing brushes? For applicators I use one for each different color polish that I use...For buffing brushes I use 1 for black, 1 for brown, 1 for burgundies, 1 for tans/lighter browns. I use a stiffer brush with shell so add in 1 for black shell & 1 for burgundy shell. I doubt all that is needed versus me being me and me being into shoes. I wouldn't get a buffing brush for the "many different hues in the brown/red spectrum" ( I'm sure others here would) but I would most certainly stick with an applicator in each polish "hue" you might be using ...

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Exceptions surely exist, but I've found that for the most part one should place very little faith in the opinion of a men's clothing salesman.

Some will lie in order to make a sale. More often, they're not knowingly dishonest, just clueless as to what constitutes proper fit or appropriateness for a given purpose.

Honestly, asking the typical menswear salesman, "Do you think this fits me right?" strikes me as akin to asking the typical automobile salesman, "Will this car be reliable?" Or asking an insurance salesman, "Do you think I need more coverage?"

Again, I explicitly state that exceptions exist. But generally speaking, if you lack the knowledge and/or self-confidence to make up your own mind when it comes to buying clothing, you'd be better off hiring a stranger off craigslist to accompany you to the store and offer his opinion, than you would be taking the salesman's word for anything. The stranger off craigslist might be ignorant, but not necessarily any more ignorant than many menswear salesmen. And unlike the salesman, the stranger's got no financial stake in possibly steering you the wrong way in the interest of making a sale, moving slow inventory, proceeding to the next customer, etc.

When I was young, and needed a suit, I'd go with my father - a man who wore suits most days, for half his life. Even if our tastes differed in some areas, dad's advice was far from worthless. Heck, he's also how I learned to polish shoes and how to tie a necktie, when it was okay to remove my jacket or roll up my sleeves and when it wasn't, what you wear to a funeral and what you wear to a wedding.

With all due respect to SF and the information one can glean from similar online resources, there's no substitute for lessons absorbed thru years of observation, or explanations given by someone known and trusted who has walked a similar path, himself.

But I digress.

3 people like this.
  3. estranged

estranged Well-Known Member

Good post!

However, two things:

1. I don't think it's fair to compare car salesman with suit consultant, as in the suit store they have plenty of suits (usually) in all kinds of sizes, so I don't see why would they have a problem of suggesting me a bigger suit if it indeed fits me better. He can easily bring me a bigger size if it fits me better? Furthermore, bigger suit likely mean that something has to be tailored, which again is beneficial for them.

2. Now regarding taste, I agree, and it' really hard to understand what looks 'good'. On this forum people are very strict and usually follow specific guidelines and 'rules', when in reality it's not how it really works. I can see a guy on the street wearing t-shirt and a blazer and in my opinion he looks great, and I am pretty sure majority of the people would agree with me, however on this forum a lot of people consider wearing t-shirt with a blazer a sin.

When I tried that slim fitting jacket of small size I thought I looked great, my girlfriend said I look great, and my brother said the same. Now in the forum I got response that it looks 2 sizes too small. It's really hard to choose unless you have someone really experienced and not biased helping you.

4. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

And most car dealerships don't usually have a lot filled with plenty of cars in all kinds of models and colors and option levels?

Look, once the customer has expressed interest in an item - a suit, a car, a house, a wristwatch, etc. - he's 2/3 of the way toward buying the item.

Any experienced salesman will tell you that it's much easier to close the sale by telling the customer, "Your choice suits you perfectly. Good choice!" than by telling the customer, "I don't think this is the best choice for you. Let me show you something else."

You don't want to confuse the issue. You don't want to force the customer into having to choose between A and B. No, you want to confirm that the way he's leaning is indeed valid, and he needn't look any further, and "Will that be Visa or Mastercard? Oh, and you know what would look great with that suit? A really sharp tie. We just happen to be running a 20% off sale on designer ties, today only. Once I ring this up, why don't we go look at some ties?"

In the long run - like, over the course of years and decades - a more honest approach may well prove more profitable for the salesman/retailer, since the customer will remember him as a knowledgeable, helpful, honest salesman, with whom he wants to do business in the future. But let's rejoin the real world, shall we, and acknowledge that many salesmen aren't in it as a 40 year long career at the same store, so this long-term perspective isn't particularly important to them.

No, telling the customer his choice is great means you're more likely to close the immediate sale, and be free to move on the the next customer (or to text your friends, smoke a cigarette, go home, whatever).

Why in the world would this be so?

A larger suit is more likely to need something taken in slightly. A smaller suit is more likely to need something let out slightly. Either way, pants will need to be hemmed/cuffed.

Anyway, for the vast majority of suit purchasers, hemming/cuffing and maybe shortening the sleeves a little, is all that will be done. Again, in the real world, relatively few suit purchasers opt for extensive tailoring. The average customer is not getting the waist suppressed and having the sleeves on his jacket with the working buttonholes taken up at the shoulder.

Or unless you know what style you prefer - and this being the Classic Menswear forum, it's reasonable to suggest that many here know what classic menswear is, and like the style - and are sufficiently knowledgeable of what constitutes classic menswear style that you can decide for yourself whether a given jacket looks and fits in keeping with those preferences.

It's perfectly okay to prefer a more modern, closer-fitting style. But that's not really what this forum is about.

Oh, and as for asking a girlfriend for her opinion on what looks good on you... 9 times out of 10, you're better off asking your salesman. :)

2 people like this.
  5. pravda

pravda Senior member

@Mountainstyle, I'd shake it up with taupe linen and crisp white linen shirt.

You can do cream or white also

6. cezinho

cezinho Senior member

could someone please good quality and affordable price card holder in leather? budger would be around 40 to 80 €
    preferably from Europe to avoid duties and long shipping times? thanks.

7. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

Mismo card holders (when on sale) would be close to high end of that price range. I'm a big fan of Mismo - good quality reasonable pricing.

8. angelescrest

angelescrest Senior member

Help me pick a brown tie. I have a lighter brown tie already, and since I live in the north, I'd prefer to have one that works year round. They're quite handy in the fall/winter, but also in the summer with other options like my khaki linen suit.

Options:
    1) Suitsupply Cotton Knit
    http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/knit...email&utm_campaign=sbl&utm_content=&utm_term=

2) Suitsupply Wool Knit
    http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/knitted_ties/brown-knitted-tie/D142053.html?q=brown+tie

3) Polo RL Silk Knit (I have a burgundy one, and the weave is quite loose)
    http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...v=Brown&parentPage=family&selectedColor=Brown

Let me add that I rarely wear suits, other than occasionally my khaki linen and navy wool suits for special occasions, and would mostly be wearing this tie with sportcoats, blazer, and lots of knits like v-neck merinos and shawl collar cardigan etc.

Or maybe I just need more than one material?

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  9. estranged

I am planning to buy two tan/chestnut color shoes - suede chukkas and quarter brogue oxfords. Now I don't want to buy two belts to match each of them, so I will get only 1 belt and wear it with both shoes. Should I get this color suede belt or regular calf belt?

10. Konstantinos343

Konstantinos343 Well-Known Member

All these are 6 cm wide. I would not recommend you to buy one of these unless you have jackets with 6 cm wide lapels.

11. circumspice

circumspice Senior member

2.4 inch width knit ties are not that unusual

12. Konstantinos343

Konstantinos343 Well-Known Member

Not at all. They just look better with a suitable jacket in my opinion.

13. sbostan

sbostan New Member

Hi. I have been going through the forum for the past few months and finally decided to sign up! I am looking to buy rlbl Anthony and have tried 2 different suits in 42r but found there to be slight difference in shoulder measurement. These were used suits from different seasons_ so is it likely they have been altered or is there a (in)consistency in sizing through the seasons? One was 19.25inch and the other 19.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  14. estranged

Trying to choose most versatile shoe out of these, what do you think (i would like it to lean more to the casual side):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's so hard because I equally like all of them. I'd say I love the looks of burgundi semi-brogue most, brown calf double monks would come close second, but what are the most versatile?

15. pravda

pravda Senior member

For casual versatile go with the leather monk. This will go with suits and business casual.

1 person likes this.
  16. estranged

I am not really worried about suits, because I almost never wear them (and I have brown cap toe oxfords in case I do wear a suit). I was thinking something like business casual and less formal outfit. For example going to a date in the summer evening, etc. I know there are much more casual options, like boots or loafters, but I just really dig the looks of these kind of shoes I shown.

How would the 1st shoe (burgundi brogue) compare to the double monk you advised in terms of versatility?

17. pravda

pravda Senior member

If you want to get the ladies to notice, go with the double monk. Actually either leather or suede but leather is more versatile. Monks are really best for casual

The brogues are nice but in my opinion too business oriented for dates and fun.

Btw, did you see the latest Entourage movie. If not google. Ari and others rocked the double monks hard and they looked good if you like that style

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  18. Malthus

Malthus New Member

Hi all,

Does anyone know a good resource where I can start reading about clothing fabrics and what suits which season? Happy to buy a book as well.

Thanks,

Malthus.

19. acinod

acinod Senior member

Can anyone recommend some dress shoes to wear on rainy days? I only have leather soled shoes and looking to buy something different for the rain.

20. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I completely disagree. Monkstraps are probably the least versatile among the shoes shown. They are relative oddballs and are definitely outside the norm in terms of what is primarily seen on the street today. If that's what you are going for then that's fine, but they are definitely not versatile. Lurk moar.