Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

What brand/model loafers should I get? I'm looking for something for a more casual setting (i.e. with khakis or even jeans) that is at the same time appropriate for a more formal setting. I'd like to spend under $150, but I'd consider going up to $200.

By the way, how does this sound for starting a shoe collection? I currently have Sperry Top-Sider boat shoes in dark brown. I plan to buy a pair of loafers by summer. And then I can grab a pair of boots (e.g. Red Wings) for the fall. (I would grab a pair of desert boots but they don't fit due to my high instep.) Any other recommendations?

Anyone?

2. onix

onix Senior member

What brand/model loafers should I get? I'm looking for something for a more casual setting (i.e. with khakis or even jeans) that is at the same time appropriate for a more formal setting. I'd like to spend under $150, but I'd consider going up to $200.

Almost all brands have loafers. You can easily find Allen Edmonds loafers for < $150. Brooks Brothers also have loafers on sale for $148 a couple of days a go. Otherwise, go for the usual suspect like Ralph Lauren, or any other English shoemakers.

This sounds like a Street Wear and Denim question

3. Vienna

Vienna New Member

4. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

(cross-posted)

Does anyone know how the C&amp;J 325 last compares with the 240 last?

5. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

Cross-posted this question in a suede chukka thread.

Thinking about picking up an Alden unlined chukka this weekend. I don't think I've had an unlined shoe since the junior high days of Cole Haan loafers. Would it be alright to wear without socks? Or, does the unlined nature necessitate socks?

6. bob_loblaw

bob_loblaw Active Member

That rule does not apply to outerwear.

But it does apply to suit jackets and cardigans, doesn't it?

7. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Yes.

8. onix

onix Senior member

The rule started by King Edward VII whose large waist prevents him from button everything properly. So technically, this rule applies to suit jacket, blazer and vest (waistcoat) only. However, since people start wearing cardigans like a waistcoat, this rule applies to cardigans too. For any other items (especially more casual ones), this rule doesn't apply.

9. LRMD

LRMD Well-Known Member

10. John_Edward

John_Edward Senior member

On some shirts I've bought recently I've noticed that yoke will often bunch a bit just in the center and fold slightly over the bottom bit of the collar. I think it looks daft. What's the cause and how do I solve it?

Posture? Yoke's too narrow?

11. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Could this suit

http://store.ehaberdasher.com/Detail.bok?no=4370

be paired with this vest

http://www.bluefly.com/J-Lindeberg-g...402/detail.fly

to wear as the groom in a wedding?

Thoughts?

I wouldn't wear a dark gray vest with a navy suit. In fact, it's pretty unusual to see an odd vest worn with a suit. To be done properly, it really needs to be in a color that contrasts with the jacket. For a wedding, I would think a dove gray vest would be among your best choices. There are several threads here on that topic if you do a search for dove gray or wedding vests.

12. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

A friend of mine is going to London for 4 weeks(lucky bastard, wish it was me, but I digress).
    While there he wants to buy a blazer and a pair of formal shoes, each within a $200-$300 budget. Are there any places where he might get something decent looking and durable within that budget?

13. JonnyNickels

JonnyNickels Well-Known Member

Cross-posted this question in a suede chukka thread.

Thinking about picking up an Alden unlined chukka this weekend. I don't think I've had an unlined shoe since the junior high days of Cole Haan loafers. Would it be alright to wear without socks? Or, does the unlined nature necessitate socks?

I just got some myself (Snuff color). They're great shoes. I wouldn't wear them without sox...too many seems on the inside. Seems like they would be very irritating.

14. treysfull

treysfull Member

Hello,
    Do you have any recommendations for a store to shop at in the JCrew area. Room for slightly higher money range.

15. slash4k

slash4k Member