• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are thousands of choices which would be perfectly acceptable.

Still, if you truly need a suggestion, how about a pair of silver knots, like the ones pictured below? They're a bit nicer than the silk (or faux silk) knots which are a sort of default "casual cuff link" choice for many men, yet they're by no means ostentatious. (And nearly all the time, you're better off with subtle, low key cufflinks. "Attention-grabbing" ones are usually a mistake. Similar to the situation with neckties.)

While Tiffany's sterling silver cufflinks are iconic, they do run a few hundred dollars per pair. Personally, I can recommend Jos. A. Bank's rhodium plated version, which are normally under $60, and can not infrequently be had for $20, on sale. (Rhodium is actually far more precious a precious metal than is silver, which it closely resembles, and rhodium doesn't tarnish the way sterling does.)

Again, by no means the only choice. Not even close. But you asked for a recommendation, so I provided a nice, suitable-in-a-fairly-broad-range-of-situations, affordable, non-swivel-backed recommendation. (I dislike swivel-backed cufflinks.)

I agree 100% with the above. Got a pair of Kent Wang's sterling and lapis and I like them a lot, and I have my grandfather's gold and onyx links for black tie, but oddly enough my go-to cuff links are the above JAB knots snagged for fifteen bucks last July.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. For tuxedos how's this, and is it versatile enough to wear with a suit?

http://www.shop.carminashoemaker.co...oma=230&idfamilia=12124347&idarticulo=3640207

A calf whole cut is certainly versatile enough for both. I would, if possible, wear a suit to a shoe store and try one on, just to be sure you like the look. It does not need to be the Carmina one, necessarily, but any whole cut would give you a general idea. If you wanted to add an extra punch for the Tuxedo, you could switch out the laces for silk ribbon.

chrispy650

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. The silver kots do look really classy and I like them. As for the tie, I'm waiting for my suit to come in (MTM) to see if it'll look good. I figured the grenadine would help break up the texture but I'm hoping it'll look sharp because I do prefer darker color tie. Is the rule for navy on navy is that the tie should be as close to the color of the suit with the main difference being texture? Or do I have that completely wrong haha.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barbour sizing? These two charts are completely different. Ordered from End and not sure if it's accurate based on comparison to Barbour's site.

Barbour

End

anyone have any experience/info on Barbour sizes?

Last edited:

Shay

Reaction score
What shoes are the shoes Bates oxfords are meant to be? Bates are junk, but look at least OK with slacks. Doc Marten's are appropriately resilient, but chunky. The popularity of golf pants and shirts are great for straddling the fence between an active lifestyle and what passes for business casual in my industry; however, the definitive standard in men's shoes remains “the best technology the 18th Century had to offer.”

I don't want to continue living in fear of scuff marks, wet grass, and freshly-mopped floors.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What shoes are the shoes Bates oxfords are meant to be? Bates are junk, but look at least OK with slacks. Doc Marten's are appropriately resilient, but chunky. The popularity of golf pants and shirts are great for straddling the fence between an active lifestyle and what passes for business casual in my industry; however, the definitive standard in men's shoes remains “the best technology the 18th Century had to offer.”

I don't want to continue living in fear of scuff marks, wet grass, and freshly-mopped floors.

Get Topy's/vibram put on, polish and condition your shoes, and live life?

J011yroger

Reaction score
Thanks. For tuxedos how's this, and is it versatile enough to wear with a suit?

http://www.shop.carminashoemaker.co...oma=230&idfamilia=12124347&idarticulo=3640207

They are great, I'd wear them with a suit in a heartbeat. If at some time in the future you got the urge to buy an open laced black brogue, you would be set. But with those Carminas you would be hard pressed to find a situation that demanded a black shoe where they looked bad.

What colour bow tie would go well with this pocket square?

I will be wearing it with a navy suit, white shirt and black shoes. Thanks!

http://store-uk.hugoboss.com/Silk-p...0000&q=pocket square#!i=24&color=607_Dark-Red

Is that more burgundy or more brown?

Tough match. If it is burgundy, Groom's suggestion of burgundy is a good one, I think your best bet is going to be to try to match the light blue in the square, but that is not ideal in winter as I see the light blue tie as a spring/summer tie. I might go with a blue plaid if it was a more casual suit/situation. I think it looks like **** with that shiny burgundy tie they have it paired with.

Honestly I think that PS goes better in a gray suit.

J

punit12

Reaction score
Quote:

Thanks for the reply, it's more burgundy than brown in person. Yes I was thinking of a blue, but maybe burgundy would be a bit safer?
The outfit is for a "black-tie" soiree at University, so probably not the most formal of events. Would a navy/burgundy stripe or polka dot clash too much?

And yes I agree, their combination looks horrible.

CTLION

Reaction score
My wife just recently purchased me a gold and steel Rolex Datejust for my 40th birthday. I have gone 10 years without a watch and using a cell phone for the time. The Rolex has changed my mind and I find myself wanting a second watch.

I am thinking:

Option #1 - another less formal Rolex. I was thinking a 1973 vintage model with a leather band celebrating my birth year.

Option #2 - Chopard sportier model with leather band.

Option #3 - Omega Speedmaster leather band.

Any thoughts?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find myself wanting a second watch.

While I appreciate that one can find the occasional watch thread on SF, the fact is that SF really isn't specifically a watch place. I can't help but think that taking your question to a forum dedicated to wristwatch matters would make more sense than tackling it here, in this thread.

A couple of obvious places would be the forums at watchuseek.com and timezone.com.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads