1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. estranged

estranged Well-Known Member

BespokeBrooklyn, thank you.

Which is these tassel loafers is most versatile?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I assume light brown suede would be most casual one, but then can i pull that off with business casual outfit or, let's say, wearing blazer, etc?

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

I only see tassels on the top one, and the third from the top. The other two don't appear to be tassel loafers, so I'm going to say they're automatically the least versatile tassel loafers pictured. :)

Of the two tassel loafers, the top one's the most versatile. Simply because the other one's suede, and suede is seldom more versatile than non-suede.

If you meant to ask which is the most versatile loafer, regardless of tassel status, the general rule is that leather beats suede, and darker beats lighter. So I'd likely still give the nod to the first loafer, with the second one from the top coming in second. And the suede and the tan still bringing up the rear.

But versatility tends to vary from person to person. The footwear most versatile for a 62 year old tax attorney in Vermont, may not be the footwear most versatile for a 26 year old music producer in Los Angeles. Decide for yourself what's most versatile for you, based on your understanding of your wants and needs, your likes and dislikes.

BTW, I don't have any inherent dislike for suede loafers or for tan shoes. They can be very nice. I simply don't regard them as being as versatile as the alternatives. "More versatile" isn't necessarily a synonym for "better." I mean, a Hyundai SUV may in many ways be a more versatile motor vehicle than a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta. But is it the "better" vehicle? That's a much tougher call.

2 people like this.
  3. The Heat

The Heat Active Member

Hi, need a little help with a fit check. New interview suit. Mainly wondering about the jacket, I'm confident I can make the pants work. Mainly not sure about jacket length (I can work with the sleeves), wondering if I should have gone for 38L instead of 38R. Apologize for the crappy pics. Thanks all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Shoe fit is 100% personal, but many suggest going down only .5 from your US size when you buy EG. Iirc lobb is the usual minus 1.

5. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

The pictures are pretty worthless. Based on the bad pics, those jackets look super short and too tight. Get a decent picture from the back and I could be more help.

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

The jacket does look a tad short, assuming the pants are pulled up. I think you would benefit from s less extended shoulder as well.

7. justonemore

justonemore Senior member

^^^^This^^^^

Have you started to like tassel loafers? Or are you "giving in"? Keep in mind that if you don't like something (for whatever reason), it often goes unworn...making it the least versatile. I my opinion, out of the shoes listed this time around the burgundy tassel (top photo) is the most versatile & your best bet.

1 person likes this.
  8. estranged

Oh of course, they all weren't even tassel loafers! But thanks for overview. I am 26, working in Big 4, but our dress code is quite relaxed, some of my colleagues are coming with blue jeans and t-shirts (it's IT department). Still I want to do better than that.

Now by versatile I mean, I want to use loafer with many different outfits - from business casual at work, to going with jeans to a date. The dark brown tassel loafter looks quite formal to me, i assume i wouln't be able to pull that off with light blue jeans? There also burgundi loafter, but not sure I really like burgundi, it feels like a really aggressive color.
    [​IMG]

I think yes haha! My perception changes really fast on what I like tbh. I couldn't stand boat shoes, and now I got Sperry top-siders and lovin' them.

That said, I still prefer other shoes to loafers. For example based on looks alone, I enjoy these shoes much more:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But I assume they are much less versatile, if I choose to wear them with jeans or more casual outfit.. But still, I am finally okay to buy loafers.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  9. justonemore

I have 3 double monks similar to the last one you showed...I have never paired them with anything less than a suit (although they could ptobably go down a notch with an SC and trousers as well).

Burgundy imho is great and the most versatile of colors.

I understand that you like tan...I like the way certain tans look as well....but...unless you live in a warm climate and are wearing light colored clothing year round, it just doesn't go ...

Again....for what you're looking for & what you seem to need, I'd go with the burgundy tassel loafers shown...keeping in mind that pairing them with a suit would be quite "progressive" in many situations and inappropriate in others.

2 people like this.
  10. estranged

Ok, I kind of like the burgundi loafers as well. I assume they will look fine with blue jeans, but what about lighter color blue jeans, would it be too much contrast (just curious)?

11. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

2 people like this.
  12. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I'd agree that burgundy is the most versatile color. It goes great with blue or grey.

1 person likes this.
  13. justonemore

Those seem to be about the same (if not the same) as my shell AE Grayson's. I myself find them to be quite versatile and one of my go to casual shoes...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. estranged

Thank you for tips! I think I'll go with a burgundi loafers, need to think still if penny or tassel. My current collection is very 'weak', I just bought my first pair of shoes (quite large discount, Magnanni):
    [​IMG]
    I know it's probably not considered the best first shoe, but I like it. Now I want to get this:
    [​IMG]
    And a I guess a loafer.

Just trying to build a versatile shoe wardrobe.
    Cool, is this burgundi, right?

Additionally, just grabbed the Blazer from Suitsupply. It's my first blazer, and I know I navy is recommended color, but I really liked this one after looking for 3 hours haha. I didn't need any tailoring so I consider it's lucky purchase. What do you think about the fit (ignore the shirt and shoes)?

[​IMG]

15. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Sorry, but that blazer looks two sizes too small.

16. justonemore

Fully agree....

17. estranged

You really think so? There is a slight pull when I make a button on, and sleeves seem fine, shoulder seem also fine.. Is it supposed to be very lose or..? Another pic:

[​IMG]

18. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

It's too small, but it's your call. I think it looks terrible. Men's clothes aren't supposed to fit like that.

I'm not some grandpa in sack suits either. I like a slim fit, but that's comical.

19. CXVII

CXVII Active Member

Question about boot sizing... I plan to buy Chippewa service boots, do I go half or a full size down? I went half a size down with my Timberland boots and there's still room at the toe with minor heel slippage.

However for the Chippewa boots I heard their best worn with an insole since their uncomfortable so not to go too low with the sizing since the insole and socks will take up space?

20. estranged

I can also get a size bigger, this is not problem, but I personally don't understand how come it looks comical?

It's not tight over the waist, but I feel it touching the waste, it has good sleeve length, and shoulders are quite comfortable. You mean it should be less tight on the waste?

Strange that guys at Suitsupply say it looks great and you say it looks comical. Do they have no clue what going on then..