1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. robxznyc

robxznyc Senior member

A trivial question about the origin of surgeon's cuffs. I mostly heard it's interchangeable with functioning cuffs after military surgeons having to unbutton and roll up their sleeves for work, which made sense and I never thought about it again until I recently came across this video about handmade button holes. I heard the guy demonstrating compared the stitching to a surgeon's so I'm wondering could that be the reason to call them surgeon's cuffs, only when the button holes are handmade can they be called surgeon's cuffs?

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

To my knowledge the former is the correct etymology for the term.

3. Konstantinos343

Konstantinos343 Well-Known Member

Can these be used as Sport Jackets?

They have matching pants, but I don't care. :)

I wanted to know your opinion about these jackets without their matching pants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought the former with the pants, but they were too slim and decided to use them for a casual day. I have the jacket all alone now crying in the corner. Can I use it as a Sport Jacket?

I know that the blue one can be used as one, because of the model wearing it with jeans, but I thought I could use your opinion about this too. The fabric seems too casual, no?

4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

One of my belts got destroyed in travel. I now use a packing cube with the belt wrapped around a piece of cardboard to keep it rigid.

5. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

The lapels are .5 inches wide. You're far out into fashion territory. Wear them with whatever you want, including grass skirts and other fashion nonsense.

6. Konstantinos343

First of all, the lapels are only 2.36 inches wide. "Grass skirts and other fashion nonsense"?

Don't you think I should report you for this unacceptable behaviour? Explain yourself.

7. VirgilVerne

VirgilVerne Senior member

Is it appropriate to wear a black grenadine tie when the event is not a funeral/wedding? I mean I've got other ties but have always had the doubt about whether it's socially acceptable to wear a black long tie on regular occasions

8. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Do what you want. You're not god of the internet and I've been here a while. Here are a few high fashion looks (from the originator of the tiny lapel) for inspiration:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=men...=thom+browne+mens+skirt&imgrc=XeMLnwj576GwJM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=men...=thom+browne+mens+skirt&imgrc=oQk2klksuPN3RM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=men...=thom+browne+mens+skirt&imgrc=4eOE_4-zzDknlM:

9. VirgilVerne

VirgilVerne Senior member

Honestly you can wear them both as sport jackets and they'll be fine. Technically though - the former (solid light grey wool or cotton/wool blend) and the latter (presumably navy birdseye) are both business suit fabrics/patterns.

A traditional sport jacket usually possesses four features - casual fabrics such as cotton, seersucker, linen or tweed, casual patterns such as windowpane, notch lapels, horn buttons (metal being more of a blazer thing and buttons matching fabric being more of a suit thing) and the optional patch pockets. (your grey jacket has flap pockets and the navy has besom)

So if we're really counting, these are strictly orphaned suit jackets and should not be used as sport jackets - but then again in the streets we now walk on nobody gives a crap, it's just not the most flattering choice to wear without matching pants. But then again I often wear my wide peak lapeled suit jackets with other dress pants so I'm not the one to talk.

I don't mind the skinny lapels if you've the build for it - which no one should have when it's at 2.36 but that's your preference.

ps this is a pretty safe look for a sports jacket
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. Konstantinos343

I still do not understand this hostile behaviour though. Have you talked to me in the past? Did I say something that in some way I offended you? All I talked about was suit jackets as sport jackets. If you have some very strong opinion about style, which is very clear to me that you have, either keep it for yourself or explain in a not offensive way why something sounds silly or just off to you. No need for this. I don't have something against these skirts, but because you clearly dislike them, you use them as a way to joke about my message. I do not understand why you acted that way, but there is seriously something wrong with you. I've been nothing but polite in all of my posts. Do you just have fun trolling other members?

11. Konstantinos343

I cannot thank you enough for your help!! :)

12. Konstantinos343

Is it so wrong that I wanted an advice? So, this is what it is about. You can't accept people who don't know a lot about fashion and want to learn from others' opinions.

And for some reason, you continue this offensive behaviour. Now, you went the next step and started calling me names. That's nice. Do you feel proud for trolling random people on the Internet? I've been nothing but nice to you. It's so rare to encounter cyber-trolls, so please, excuse my curiosity.

13. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I hope you're less obtuse in real life, but I doubt it.

14. Konstantinos343

I must apologise for being unable to meet your criteria about fashion. People may have different opinions in the future, so start stating your own opinions in a more polite way. And not making offensive jokes like you are a 12 years old kid. Seriously, this is the only way I could justify this behaviour of yours. I am afraid to think that you are an adult. It would not compliment you.

So, keep trolling.. That's the only thing you are good around here, I suppose.

15. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Rock on :slayer:

The internet is filled with self important people like you. This isn't my first rodeo.

16. Konstantinos343

I bet it isn't. I can't be the only one who you felt like insulting in every possible way today. You must do this as a hobby, I guess.

17. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Actually, I view this back and forth as more of a pet project rather than a hobby. Perhaps you will get offended by my associating you with a domesticated animal. In any case, I'll allow you the last word, which surely you feel entitled to. :fu:

18. Konstantinos343

I gave you a chance to explain yourself. Do you know why? Because English is not my native language and because I don't know you, so I had doubt what was the meaning of your post.

You ignored that by saying that I am not God of the Internet, which I do not think I implied that in any way. Anyone can report anyone, in case you didn't know. lol

If you were joking, you could just say it. But it seemed like you just had a bad day and you had the need to troll a random member.

So, I am still unsure if you were joking, because if you were there would be no need for insulting me later on. You seemed like a sociopath and I don't say that in the same way you said that I seem like a domesticated animal to you. I truly believed it.

I am not a sociopath though. I felt insulted, but if you tell me that all that was just a joke, I will apologise to you for all this. The choice is yours.

19. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Those look solid.

20. Konstantinos343

Do you think that a jacket in that colour would be more suitable as a sport jacket in comparison with the navy one I shared?

[​IMG]