• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

adamt

Reaction score
I only thought about black as it seems to most 'office suitable' with my black shoes
i have a navy suit and a charcoal grey suit.
i do think a grey looks quite nice but i thought a black coat would go better with both suits

i looked at a car coat but im not too keen on the lack of design

is a pea coat too much for 'to work/office' wear?

Any other recommended styles of coats for 'to work' wear?

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How much does that really matter as long as you don't come in wearing a bright orange sweatshirt?

If it looks formal-ish, then you're fine right? You're not wearing this thing during the day at work.

I think peacoat's look fine with a suit but the fit might be challenging.

J011yroger

Reaction score
I love barrel coats, but not with a suit. With a suit I would wear a long coat.

J

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of collar does this topcoat have? That is, what is the technical name for this style of collar?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today I wore a tie over a sweater on purpose. Yes, I said it.

I'll have to post a picture later to see what y'all think, but I actually thought it worked because of the color scheme.

ovlov

Reaction score
Speaking if things that don't work. Lately I've seen a couple fellows around town sporting pocket squares in their shirt pockets. Please tell me this isn't a thing.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lately I've seen a couple fellows around town sporting pocket squares in their shirt pockets. Please tell me this isn't a thing.

It's a thing. It's just not a good thing.

But at least it's better than saggin'. That's a thing, too. A thing to be avoided.

adamt

Reaction score
so besides a peacoat, is there any other suitable style coats that look stylish?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm pretty critical of how I dress and try not to look ridiculous without intending to. Although I totally forgot to wear a tie this morning...
In any event, I wore this with tortoise shell glasses.

Pass or fail?

J011yroger

Reaction score

I'm pretty critical of how I dress and try not to look ridiculous without intending to. Although I totally forgot to wear a tie this morning...
In any event, I wore this with tortoise shell glasses.

Pass or fail?

Nantucket Reds in November, cuffs, collar, and tie outside sweater?

Is this a real question?

J

CTLION

Reaction score
My two cents. I really don't like the tie over the sweater as a stand alone look, when I saw it with the jacket it looked better. Now to be honest I believe it looked better because it looked like a green shirt with a white collar. At closer range I am afraid I did not find it appealing...not repulsive but none the less not the best look.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads