1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Constantly on sale. However, I doubt those are very high quality shoes. I also hate black (more formal color) loafers (less formal style) and would never buy a pair.

1 person likes this.
  2. Konstantinos343

Konstantinos343 Well-Known Member

Guys, I really have a problem. I bought a suit and the jacket sleeves are too long. I wonder how it is possible to shorten the sleeves with all the buttons they have on them.

3. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Yes, it can be done. It's best done from the shoulder, which is a more complex operation.

When you take it to your alterations tailor, ask them how they will do the job (from the shoulder or the cuff) and if the former how much prior experience they have.

This will save you from:

1. Arriving to collect, and finding they have just folded the cuff up
    2. Arriving to collect, and finding they have attempted to take the sleeve up from the shoulder and done a really poor job

1 person likes this.
  4. Konstantinos343

Thank you, sir!! :)

5. chippneckwear

chippneckwear Well-Known Member

If the sleeves do not have open button holes the shortening should be done from the bottom of the sleeve. If the sleeves buttons have open button holes it probably requires shortening from the sleeve head. As has been pointed out, this is significantly more complicated. How much shortening is required? If only a little shortening is needed the front of the sleeve can be shortened and slanted to the back so the relationship between the sleeve end and the bottom button is not affected. If significant shortening is required( 2+ inches) it cannot always be done from the top - the change in the circumference of the sleeve head will not rejoin the shoulder of the jacket without reducing the armhole.
    Paul Winston
    Winston Tailors/ www,chippneckwear.com
    212 687-0850

3 people like this.
  6. iloveshirts

iloveshirts Active Member

Here's my problem. I am quite short 5ft 6 and this is how my ties always end up looking. The narrow end is always just a bit too long. I've tried the half Windsor knot but it just looks too big. So what I do is I tuck the narrow end into my shirt (at the top) is that acceptable?

[​IMG]

7. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

I wouldn't do it.

Use a slightly different knot (if not a half Windsor, then something else - a double four-in-hand, maybe). Or buy shorter ties - even "regular" length ties can vary by an inch or two between brands. Or get your ties shortened - a relatively easy, inexpensive alteration. Or let the front of your tie hang a whole quarter of an inch longer, which would still leave it looking okay, and which would result in the front of your tie being longer than the narrow end of your tie.

But tucking your tie - either end - into your shirt... I'm sorry, but it just strikes me as the sort of thing you'd see the character of a country bumpkin do in an old movie, meant to indicate that he was unfamiliar with wearing a suit and tie. Such a character would also likely also be shown tucking a napkin into the top of his shirt at the table. It just has those sorts of connotations to me.

And I don't care if there are online pictures of men wearing their ties this way and looking dashing and sophisticated and masculine. Because if one searches hard enough (like, for under 30 seconds), support can be found somewhere on the Internet for even the most wrong-headed and unfortunate of practices.

8. chippneckwear

chippneckwear Well-Known Member

You have a few options: 1. You can blunt cut the tail of the tie. When individuals order my ties we offer to blunt cut and bind the tail at no additional charge. 2. You can have the tie shortened and re-cut to a point. When we do that there is a $15 charge. 3. You can put the tail through the label and bend the tail up an inch or two and pin it to your shirt with a safety pin - no one will see what you have done.
    Leaving the tail longer than the tie front is a "no,no".
    Paul Winston
    Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com

9. iloveshirts

Thanks for that I will deffo check out your website! I have just tried to tuck the narrow end in between the top two buttons and it doesn't look all that bad at all

10. iloveshirts

Do you think this combination of jacket shirt and tie look good?

[​IMG]

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Not particularly, though the picture is terrible. I especially don't like the shirt collar. The points are too short and the spread is weird. Of course, taking a picture of your belly button makes it hard to tell what's going on.

12. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Agreed on the shirt collar. Having a hard time telling what color the tie is too.

13. 12345Michael54321

I notice that nearly all of your posts ask whether a shirt or jacket fits right and looks good.

Fine.

But why not (1) post some better quality photos, and (2) offer your own opinion as to how the item fits and looks? Along with your reasons for liking (or disliking) the fit/look. This is key - don't just offer that you think something looks good or fits well. Try to articulate just why you believe this is so.

This would be a nice way to get a discussion going on some particular aspect of whatever sort of fit you prefer or look it is you're seeking to cultivate. It might also help you cultivate a keen eye for fit and fashion, and so enhance your own confidence in your judgement in such matters.

2 people like this.
  14. illustraik

illustraik New Member

I think this is the appropriate place for this question. Does anyone have a suggestion for a brown leather brogued oxford with a flat sole? I love the casual look without the heel.

Similar to this:

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help!!

15. Konstantinos343

OK, guys. I want to shorten the sleeves, but before I do, please tell me if they are really long or not.

[​IMG]

16. 12345Michael54321

The sleeves look fine. The pants are too tight.

3 people like this.
  17. Konstantinos343

Thanks, Michael!! It's a slim fit suit from Zara. I would surprised if the pants were not tight. lol [​IMG]

18. pravda

pravda Senior member

Sleeves and pants are fine

1 person likes this.
  19. Lancaster

Lancaster Senior member

For those with tailoring knowledge, are suit jackets that are less than fully lined canvassed?

20. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Senior member

Yes, they can be. Jackets can be unlined but fully canvassed. The canvassing is inside the jacket structure (where the inside pockets are). Take a look at an unlined (3/4 or partial too) and you can see the canvassing on the upper chest behind the lapel.

1 person likes this.