1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

An open laced plain (PTB) or cap toe shoe might also work.

2. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Those would absolutely work, but they would be even better if they were in a textured leather such as pebble grain. Look at the Loake Pimlico or Kempton, depending on what color you like. Suede Chukkas are sneaky versatile.

1 person likes this.
  3. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

Could I please get some quick thoughts on these burgundy wholecuts and how they would fit with CM suits?

I like the idea but can't quite get used to their look, being generally used to Oxfords.

[​IMG].

Also interested in quick thoughts on whether these would fit with CM suits or business casual, they seem a bit light coloured forme but do like single monks.

[​IMG]

Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  4. Churchill W

Wholecuts are oxfords. Formalitywise, in both type and color, the wholecuts would be more appropriate with a suit.

5. conker2507

conker2507 New Member

Hi, everyone !

I'm looking for brown oxfords similar to these :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What would you recommend ? Budget : approx. $ 600

Thanks in advance !

6. Konstantinos343

Konstantinos343 Well-Known Member

Guys, can a blazer replace the jacket during the winter? Or will I need to buy an overcoat as well when going formal?

7. Churchill W

It looks like you want something with a chiseled toe. Something from Crockett & Jones on the 348 last would work and I think is in your price range.
    Really depends on your climate, e.g., typically a blazer will not be warm enough for a NY winter.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. Crail

Crail New Member

I recently (since starting to lurk here) decided most of my suits fit too large. So I purged. Here you have the only survivor of the "pre-SF" suits, which I think fits well, but as I'm rather new at determining good fit, I'm seeking a second opinion. I also lost a few pounds so the pants do fit a little loose in the waist, but probably not noticeably so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

I think that looks pretty good from what I can see--better than most suits that you'll see out there. The shoulders, chest, and collar seem to fit properly and the jacket sleeve length is good. The jacket length is short for a 'classic' fit but it's in line with current styles. I also think the jacket buttoning point is slightly high, but again this is currently in fashion.Trousers look okay from here--personally I think they are a hair short but I know others would think they are just right. Overall it's certainly worth hanging onto as you rebuild your suit collection.

1 person likes this.
  10. Crail

Crail New Member

Thanks. That'll save me one suit replacement.

11. pnin22

pnin22 Senior member

How do I prevent the points of my collar from curling? For example, this is a cotton oxford after a day of wear after being ironed with steam. I've never tried starch though
    .[​IMG]

12. Churchill W

13. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Preferably, removable collar stays.

I've seen shirts with sewn-in cardboard stays, which - particularly when over-aggressively ironed - do worse things to a shirt than no collar stays at all.

Although assuming the shirt pictured in pnin22's post doesn't take removable stays, it occurs to me that a little starch might do good things for the looks of that collar. Granted, starch is employed far less commonly in laundering shirts than was the case in my father's day, but it's still got its uses. At the very, very least, it's surely worth a try in this case.

14. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Looks fine to me too. :)

15. Slh

Slh Senior member

I have a pair of trousers which suffers of pocket flaring. Apparently it is caused by the hips area being too tight and letting out material on that area would improve the issue.
    The problem is that they are cotton trousers and I would like to know if letting out material would result in marks on the fabric. Also, is there some "trick" to reduce pocket flaring without letting out material?

16. pravda

pravda Senior member

Same thing happened to me. I increased my cardio, reduced carb intake and lost 10 lbs.

17. Slh

Slh Senior member

I'm skinny ( 5ft7- 125lbs) I just messed up the measurements on luxire lol.

18. Mr Sola

Mr Sola Senior member

Can I get fit advice before I place my next order? I think the neck and shoulders are good. I'm thinking the chest needs to come in at least an inch and the sleeves need to come up (maybe 1/2 inch, maybe more). I'm not sure about the waist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. pravda

pravda Senior member

I agree that chest needs to come in some. I think sleeves ok. Try on SC and evaluate cuff showing. Also, are allowing for shrinkage?

20. Konstantinos343

Konstantinos343 Well-Known Member

I think I made it right this time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]