• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I would go dark brown, brown, burgundy and black. For me, I pretty much rely on brown shoes for everything. If you don't want a pair of black shoes, I would swap that out for a lighter brown: walnut. A dark brown punch-cap bal pretty much goes with everything.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
I actually think I'd go brown, tan, burgundy/oxblood, and black. Yeah, you can skip black but why? I guess you don't have any black pants so you're fine without them so the burgundy/oxblood can cover your base there.

Navy pants and tan shoes look amazing together. It really pops!

Last edited:

gummybear00

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a quick question about the proper suit jacket length. I know the general rule is (a) cover your butt, and (b) half the distance to the ground.

Suit jackets: Does half the distance to the ground include while wearing shoes?? Side view or front/back view? Or has to be half from all angles?

I bought a cheap 40L suit and despite being 5'10" shoeless (maybe 5'11"-6" with shoes), the suit jacket is still not fully half the distance to the ground. It kinda is half the distance from the side view, but from the back or front view it's not...

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know the general rule is [...] half the distance to the ground.

Suit jackets:  Does half the distance to the ground include while wearing shoes?? Side view or front/back view? Or has to be half from all angles?

I fear you're taking a general rule-of-thumb, and attributing to it a precision which is simply inappropriate.

It's just an approximate guideline. An extra half inch in height due to shoes, or the difference between side view and front view, just aren't likely to be so significant as to require that the inherently imprecise guideline be adjusted.

It's like accepting the general rule that belt color and shoe color should be reasonably similar, and then asking how to transport a spectrophotometer to the shoe store, and how to deal with two colors which appear similar in visible light, but which vary to some degree when viewed by ultraviolet light.

despite being 5'10" shoeless (maybe 5'11"-6" with shoes)
If your shoes add nearly 2 inches to your height, your immediate concern shouldn't be about suit jacket length, but about finding non-high heeled shoes. :)

Last edited:

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone point me in the right direction? Looking for a grey Bengal striped shirt. Preferably spread collar with single cuffs. Seems like something that should exist, but I haven't been able to run it down. Thanks

Saw one exactly like that at Nordstrom's two weeks ago.

ovlov

Reaction score

It's much more blue than gray irl

Would this be appropriate for a summer wedding suit and work suit? Or is it too casual? I'm trying to find something that will work that isn't just plain blue or grey but don't want a casual. I don't have a very good imagination though for envisioning a fabric swatch as a whole suit

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's much more blue than gray irl

Would this be appropriate for a summer wedding suit and work suit? Or is it too casual? I'm trying to find something that will work that isn't just plain blue or grey but don't want a casual. I don't have a very good imagination though for envisioning a fabric swatch as a whole suit

I don't wear suits to work, and I live on the west coast, so I may not be in the best position to give advice, but that looks like a pretty reasonable pattern. I think it is fine for an ordinary day at work, and for a wedding that isn't overly formal. Obviously it does not replace a charcoal or navy in the wardrobe, but it is a fairly versatile addition. I think you could also get double duty from the jacket as a sport coat, and would be wearable with dress pants or with jeans.

J011yroger

Reaction score
What would you wear to see a play when black-tie would be major overkill? Double duty for dinner on the town later.

Am I right that a charcoal/grey/navy pinstripe suit would look like I just came from work?

J

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classic, nice. I don't dig the super wide peak lapels, but I am a narrow guy.

J

They aren't super wide, just wider than usual. I am pretty sure they are 4", which is only half an inch wider than standard. They could be 4.5" but I don't think so. My morning coat has wider lapels; I was really surprised how well they worked on my frame. I wouldn't order them that size unless it was my third or fourth dinner jacket, though.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads