1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

Quick black tie attire question for the evening. I have an event tonight black tie optional. It is winter and chilly. I have three tuxedo options available.

1) Double Breasted tuxedo with spread collar soft pleat shirt
    2) a very nice slightly off white silk jacket with tuxedo pants (essentially this jacket in silk http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Fitzg...dwvar_465K_Color=WHIT&contentpos=66&cgid=0235) and the same shirt as above
    3) notch collar 2 button tuxedo with spread collar bib front shirt

all of these with the appropriate self tie bow tie and stud sets. I also have black cap toe shoes or calf skin opera pumps to wear depending on the selection.

Thoughts or comments?

Thanks all!

2. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Choice one for sure.

3. Marc Voorhees

Am I able to wear the opera pumps with the double breasted jacket they seem almost opposite to each other.

4. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

You might have better luck finding suggestions in this thread. Are you sure that you need an expensive shawl collar cardigan more urgently than you need another odd jacket?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  5. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

:puzzled: There's no opposition whatsoever between pumps and a DB dinner jacket.

6. angelescrest

angelescrest Senior member

Thanks for sharing my post here. I'm certainly open to any suggestions.

7. Marc Voorhees

I guess I have only ever seen the db worn with bals or captoes. Never seen the pumps worn with one,only with single breasted. Sadly, it is a moot point t, the goddamn sole of my opera pumps fell off as I was leaving the house. Had to change shoes anyway.

8. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

This is possibly because DB dinner jackets are non-standard. It was, and is, generally considered that DB jackets are not appropriate for traditional evening wear. Some daring people sometimes do it, but it is rare and easily goes awry. Opera pumps too, although very correct for evening wear, are becoming somewhat rare. It is likely that two rare items are not often seen together. If it were me I'd embrace the opera pumps but eschew the DB dinner jacket.

9. mosy

mosy Senior member

A few days ago I stopped getting email notifications of new posts in my subscribed threads. Not even getting notified when I'm quoted or mentioned. I didn't change my settings. Anyone else experience this? Any solution?

10. pravda

pravda Senior member

For black tie optional I would wear a black suit, white shirt, black tie. No tux.

Btw, I hate when guys wear khakis and blue blazer to black-tie optional events

11. apack

apack Senior member

Get insoles that fit your arches. I like these:
    http://www.feetrelief.com/feetrelief/pedag.htm
    http://www.feetrelief.com/feetrelief/tacco_main.htm
    The 3/4 length are good for dress shoes as they don't take up space in the toebox.

You just have to find the ones that fit your feet and your shoes best.

12. Marc Voorhees

Is it possible to resole soft bottomed slippers like these? Or do I just have to buy another pair?[​IMG]

13. pravda

pravda Senior member

You could cover this sole with a thin rubber sheath if cost is an issue.

14. Marc Voorhees

cost isn't an issue per se, I am wondering before I trapse about looking for a cobbler if it is even feasible. The slippers were damned expensive, so I would love to get more years out of then

15. pravda

pravda Senior member

Definitely resole!!!!

16. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

I see a couple of options:

1. You could always try sending them back to the manufacturer - are they Church's by any chance?

2. Any decent cobbler should be able to overlay a second layer of suede on top of the original sole (just sticking it down using adhesive). This will retain the original look (especially if feathered at the edges) and will basically give them at least as much wear as the original sole.

17. BlackSuitTroubl

BlackSuitTroubl New Member

Hello All,

I have a series of quick questions concerning a black suit. I am fond of wearing bow ties, but despise the large expanse of shirt that is left when wearing them without a sweater/vest/waistcoat/etc. to fill the gap between that is normally covered by the long tie.
    My questions are: Could I wear a sweater vest with the black suit? If so, what color? Or should I attempt to find an odd vest to go with the suit?

Thanks

edit: I should perhaps add that I am quite pale (perhaps a black suit was not the best decision in the first place, but there you go)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  18. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

What shirting weaves are quote-unquote CBD appropriate for solid white & blue shirts with worsted suits?

EDIT: To rephrase, obviously broadcloth & poplin are CBD. What about twill, pinpoint oxford, and end-on-end?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  19. Marc Voorhees

they are indeed Church's, well spotted! I will head out to a cobber this week and have a chat. see what we can do. Calling Church's might not be a bad idea either

20. johnny1290

johnny1290 New Member

Hi there, gentlemen. I've been an infrequent lurker here, specifically in the Allen Edmonds appreciation thread. Now, I've realized that I'm in over my head and need your assistance. I'm a mid 40's guy, generally wear chinos and an untucked polo to work, and I need the right shoes. I got some AE Strands in Bourbon(darkish brown) and I'm wondering if those are too formal for what I'm wearing? Should I be wearing loafers instead, and if so, any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!