1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. varsityreds0123

varsityreds0123 Senior member

Seeking some direction on quality tie destinations. Currently aware of Panta, The Knottery, Vanda, Harry Carter, H.N. White, Yellow Hook. Am I missing any others?

Looking primarily for silks.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  2. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Kent Wang, Sam Hober, Drake's.

2 people like this.
  3. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Shibumi too.

2 people like this.
  4. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

What are the advantages of side tabs on trousers compared to belt loops?

I have always had belt loops but side tabs look good in pictures. Just not sure if I will feel comfortable wearing trousers without a belt?

5. Churchill W

I thought because it looked cleaner and you don't need to deal with a belt.

6. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Does it work without a jacket? Or should there be belt loops when there is no jacket?

7. Churchill W

I'm not aware of any rule where you have to have a jacket to have pants with no belt loops.

8. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

I would imagine it makes weight fluctuations less painless as well: if the pants fit well while the adjusters are "centered," then you'd be able to tighten or loosen without needing alterations. I don't own any pants with side adjusters, so maybe I'm wrong on this.

9. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

There's not much adjustment, especially on thicker fabrics. So in practice you have enough to give a little ease after a full meal, but not if you eat that way for a fortnight and gain 5 lbs.

In my experience works fine without a jacket. It also works well (jacket required here) on pants with braces, since it gives that small amount of adjustability that is needed in the absence of a belt.

10. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Ideally, for thinner people, maybe this is not true otherwise, you wouldn't need a belt anyway. I have a bunch of custom belts but honestly don't really wear them anymore. I either wear braces or nothing. I just don't think it's a big deal if it fits well.

11. VirgilVerne

VirgilVerne Senior member

Personally I dislike belts as I'm quite short and they almost always cut the visual alignment in half when I opt for it to match my shoes. Since your pants should always stay up without a belt anyway you shouldn't feel uncomfortable wearing them without. It also cuts my clothing budget a bit since some belts can be expensive and doesn't last as long as you'd think...also I won't have to worry about the tone not matching my shoes when I wear some funky ones (ex. Blue brogue with navy trousers)

12. Satmoche

Satmoche Senior member

Conrad Wu, Viola Milano, Marinella, Calabrese, Tie Your Tie, Cappelli as well

1 person likes this.
  13. tamasisn

tamasisn New Member

Hello everyone, just a quick question, please do not be to harsh...

I want to buy a business casual shoe to wear to my part time job in an office (Aegon). I would probably wear it most often with a dark blue suit, but it would help if the shoe could be worn with other colours as well.

I saw this shoe (again, please don't be too harsh): http://www2.hm.com/hu_hu/productpage.0346325001.html

Can this be worn with a dark blue suit to an office?

14. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I'd go for something darker.

Dark brown suede chelseas or chukkas would be my recommendation, can be worn with jeans, quite versatile, doesn't show stains easily or require much maintenance, etc.

15. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Suede is inherently casual, but that shoe is closed-laced which brings it back up the formal scale. I personally wouldn't wear it, but I can't imagine too many people will notice or disapprove.

16. MDisciple87

MDisciple87 Active Member

Posted this in the tailor's thread, but no response I guess.

Please excuse both the lighting and the fact that I don't have a picture from the back. This is a recent suit I got from Knot Standard and I don't know but I feel like a bit like an old man in it vs. it actually elongating me and being trim, etc.

I really hope I'm just imagining things but I think perhaps the waist and/or chest could be take in a bit more. Thoughts?

P.S. Ignore the shirt not showing under the left sleeve, it's due to the watch.

Thank you for all your help in advance and if this is insufficient I'll gladly take more pics and resubmit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. tamasisn

tamasisn New Member

Thanks a lot for the answer, could you perhaps tell me what colour/material suit or trousers would go well with this shoe?

18. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Light-to-medium gray, with or without a pattern.

19. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

I'm a little confused.

A dark blue suit isn't business casual. So why try pairing a business casual shoe with it?

If you want shoes to wear mostly with a suit, then buy shoes which are highly compatible with a suit.

If you also want shoes which can be worn when you're dressed more casually, then buy a second pair of shoes, more casual than the first.

Ultimately, one is almost always far better off not buying "one pair does all" shoes. In the same sense that Shimmer may work both as a dessert topping and as a floor wax, but one would be better off simply buying two separate products to fill these two roles.

1 person likes this.
  20. tamasisn

tamasisn New Member

Sorry, I'll clarify.

I already have a decent pair of black shoes to go with my dark blue suit. But I want something more casual, so I am thinking of buying the aforementioned shoe and probably a gray suit to go with it. I'm leaning towards getting a brown pair of shoes, because I already have a black pair. In any case, thanks for your help.