• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

J011yroger

Reaction score

I will attend a job fair in two weeks and I am interested in some alternative ideas for the traditional business suit. 

I need something that is a step above the typical business casual look but doesn't require wearing a suit jacket or sports coat.

For example, is a plain black vest over a collar shirt w/ tie acceptable?

Thanks for your suggestions. 

I'd be confused if I saw you in that. How about a v-neck sweater instead?

If I may ask, why are you opposed to the sportcoat or blazer?

J

Calculon88

Reaction score
I only have one suit at the moment and I don't want to re-use it over and over again for job fairs. I want to reserve it for the final interview.

ellsbebc

Reaction score

I will attend a job fair in two weeks and I am interested in some alternative ideas for the traditional business suit. 

I need something that is a step above the typical business casual look but doesn't require wearing a suit jacket or sports coat.

For example, is a plain black vest over a collar shirt w/ tie acceptable?

The two details you lacked to inform us are probably the most critical.
1) what industry is the job fair for?
2) why are you trying to avoid suit or sport coat but want to "fancy up" business casual?

Regardless of the answer for the two questions above, you most likely still need a suit. You will not get much love for wearing a sweater over a shirt and wearing that to a job fair. If you do not already, acquire a well-fitting solid navy or charcoal suit. It will serve many purposes outside career fairs (weddings, interviews, etc)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a university grad ball coming up in a month or so. From looking at last year's pictures, most folks just end up wearing a suit, with the odd tuxedo attempt (aka suit jacket + bowtie). Didn't see any true tux pictures.

I don't own a tux, and don't see much point in buying one since I will really not be wearing it for some time. What I do own is a very well fitting charcoal suit, so I intend on wearing that with black captoes and a white spread collar shirt with white PS. My question is in terms of tie: I'm debating ***************, navy, or silver grenadine. I was wondering on SFs opinion to help me out!

As it's a ball, a "tux" would be correct, even of most other people aren't. You could always rent one if you don't think you'l buy one again. However, if you did buy one, I can assure you that you'd suddenly find yourself looking for reasons to wear it, which might upgrade your social and cultural aspirations admirably!

But if you're really going with the lounge suit, then of the ones you've mentioned either the navy (conservative) or silver grenadine (showy, but it's evening and fun after all). Black ties, despite the iGent fascination, are for funerals in my book, and unless your look is Ska revival, black tie/white shirt/white PS is just a bit too stark to be elegant, and look like you really wanted to wear proper evening wear but couldn't afford it.

Would it be a waste of money for a student (university) to buy a seersucker suit? I'm having a tough time thinking of when I would wear it...especially considering I have a backpack...which might ruin the suit...and that I don't go out to any place except the library haha (not drinking severely limits what you can do in school it seems). However I hear a seersucker is a staple wardrobe item. I'm not fantastic with style yet I'm buying pieces...excessively haha probably buying more than I'm wearing since I don't want to come across as arrogant on campus. I do wear most of my sportcoat-type things when school is out and I can avoid t-shirt wearer glares from the students. Needless to say, saw a 60 dollar thrift deal for a seersucker blazer and pants so just wanted to ask. 60 dollars isn't a lot which is why I'm considering this. If it was 150 plus i wouldn't even be considering asking. Thanks.

Yes, it would, normally - a light wool or even linen blazer would be more versatile and more resilient. But for sixty bucks, why not?

For example, is a plain black vest over a collar shirt w/ tie acceptable?

Don't be silly. You're going to a job fair; you want to look like a serious and ambitious employee, not Justin Bieber. And your suggestion of a "black vest" alone will make you look like a waiter. They can ask you to fetch the drinks while they talk to the people they actually want to hire.

Wear a suit. Navy or charcoal, plain or pinstriped. A burgundy tie, plain or with a small patter, at least 2.5" wide and preferably nearer 3-3.5". Navy tie is good if the suit is charcoal. Shirt is light blue, white, or a blue micro stripe, with a spread collar. PS is none, or white, and barely showing. Shoes are black captoe oxfords. Yes, it's predictable, and yes, a lot of other people will be dressed the same. Just as they will probably use the same font on their CV and not put a cute Minnie Mouse border on it.

Do the business uniform, and do it really well.

Last edited:

leo1234

Reaction score
Any advice in an excellent tailor in Paramus new jesery area? I recently purchased a MTM Zegna suit. They said that I have a lower left shoulder by 1 cm. They also said that They needed to increase the chest size 1 cms on the try-on their master jacket. The result ? The left side of the suit was tilted downwards than the right side by 1 cm. the buttons on the right side were higher than the holes on. The left side by 1 cm. the left side was also longer than the right side by 0.5 cm. and the chest looked really big on me. Any ideas how did this happen? I returned the suit back and I got refund but is still need to find a good tailor so that I know my correct measurements for the future . Any ideas ? And could some one explain what happened in that suit?

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cuff them if you want cuffs. Don't cuff them if you don't want cuffs.

Trousers didn´t have enough fabric spare to get a proper cuff. Will have to live on without!
That being said, there was quite some alterations to be made, and the suit will turn out rather expensive. However, I´m positive the result will be great, and the fabric is amazing.

Reaction score
Style advice needed for newbie: What to wear with my Panama Hat?
Hello,

I just got a new Panama hat (cream colour, black band) today:

http://www.panamahat.com.au/men/mens-hat-detail.html?cid=32

But, I have no idea about what clothes to go with it. I'm from Australia and it's been really hot weather recently. What kind of clothes are suitable to wear with my new hat? Will a short sleeved shirt in white or light blue or light pink with coloured bow ties and cream coloured trousers work?

Thanks for any help,
A wannabe Bustopher Jones

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will attend a job fair in two weeks and I am interested in some alternative ideas for the traditional business suit.  I need something that is a step above the typical business casual look but doesn't require wearing a suit jacket or sports coat.

Doesn't exist.

Reaction score
Okay, I think this is the best place to ask.

I brought a coat recently, it is dark charcoal grey like.

http://imgur.com/4RtvO23 (image of said coat)

Like, I am wondering what kind of trousers/what style trousers to pair with this coat?

I currently own mainly jeans. Ranging from light blue to navy to black.

So what can I wear with these jeans safely? If you have any pics of the trousers, it would be great.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a duffel coat, not a blazer. You can wear anything you want.

And don't begin your sentences with "like". Makes you sound like a teenage Valley girl.

Reaction score
Sorry, hard to start conversations on most websites when asking for advice.

So anything at all? I mean I wear jeans mostly. Kind of navy blue jeans.

Anything that would actually work better than what I already have?

Edit: I'm more or less worried about the colour, really. Not so much the style.

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry, hard to start conversations on most websites when asking for advice.

So anything at all? I mean I wear jeans mostly. Kind of navy blue jeans.

Anything that would actually work better than what I already have?

Edit: I'm more or less worried about the colour, really. Not so much the style.
Please consider asking this question in the Streetwear & Denim side of the forum. Here in Classic Menswear people tend to be more interested in clothing that isn't "jeans mostly".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads