1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

I'd go with a plain hem. Pleated, cuffed pants are going to make you stand out too much given you are still young and in an industry that is both conservative and judgemental.

2. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Does anyone know of a tutorial on suiting and jacketing wools? I'm curious about different weights, seasons, uses (Suit vs Odd Jacket), that sort of thing. Just a breakdown of fine tailored wools.

Thanks!

3. Slh

Slh Senior member

I have this pair of shoes, but I realized I'm not crazy about the colour. I would like to darken them to a dark brown. Is there any procedure? Or just apply dark brown cream on the shoes?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Dark brown cream and buff with a horsehair brush after allowing the cream to dry for about 5-7 minutes. Will take several coats to get the color to change dramatically though. Dyeing the shoes could be a better bet.

5. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Is there any disadvantage to using a neutral shoe cream/polish instead a specific color dedicated one?

6. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I've read on here that neutral polish or cream actually strips color.

When I polish my shoes though I alternate between neutral and colored wax polish.

1 person likes this.
  7. mco543

mco543 Senior member

Neutral in my experience is good for removing other polish colors. If you used too much polish or got it somewhere you didn't want it putting on neutral polish and rubbing it off will get rid of it.

8. Slh

Slh Senior member

dyeing, it is something I can do myself or is better to have it done by a cobbler?

9. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

not worth the hassle and cost.

either learn to like them as they are or sell them and get shoe color you want

10. troika

troika Senior member

Either, it's very easy to do and it will look very very good if done carefully.

And yes, it is worth it if you like the shoes.

1 person likes this.
  11. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior member

I'm looking at a Zegna cotton/silk blend cloth for a travel jacket (2:1 ratio cotton:silk). Is it going to be too shiny, or can silk blends turn out looking decently? It's going to be fairly casual (I hope) given that it's cotton, and I'd use it casually.

I've got silk/wool jacket which I like but wear infrequently because of the shine; any experiences with such blends welcomed. Cheers.

12. mobobs

mobobs Senior member

I doubt it will have any shine. I have a few silk cotton blend pieces of clothing and they have a more cashmere-like feel. On a side note, if you're looking at it shouldn't you able to see if it shines?

13. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior member

Thanks. Side note answer: looking online, so I can't tell what's shine on the fabric and what's camera flash.

14. abl

abl Well-Known Member

Any thoughts??

15. gotribe

gotribe Well-Known Member

My gf spilled a drop of super glue on a pair of dark navy wool dress pants. I've had them dry cleaned twice and asked for them to try the works to get it out. The stain is still barely visible. Any last desperate measures worth trying? Does sandpaper work? How about dye or other cover up options?

16. Axf4

Axf4 Member

I need budget smart/business casual shoes to be worn with chinos/jeans and a jacket to bunch of college events. I live in Scandinavia so preferably something that can we worn year round, at least to some extent.

I'm looking to spent max 100€ as I don't want to be too careful with them. Would plain toe derbies be good? All links/suggestions appreciated :)

17. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Try Meermin:

https://www.meermin.es/index.php

18. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Solvent? Maybe goo gone with a thorough rinse afterwards and a dry cleaning? I mean, are you going to wear them with the small stain anyway, because I think trying anything else, even what I've suggested is pretty risky.

19. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Senior member

I found these green wool pants today, but I can't find anything about the maker. The tag says "Marc Andrew"; is that the company Andrew Marc?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. mobobs

mobobs Senior member

Yes, Marc Andrew is made by Andrew Marc. They license out their pants so there's no telling who makes them.