• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know sleeve length is a somewhat personal thing, but wanted to ask for some feedback anyway. Are these sleeves a bit too short, or just right? The cuff is buttoned in this picture.

Secondly, and this sounds kind of silly, but what's the proper way to put on a jacket and get the shirt sleeves where they're supposed to be? If the shirt sleeve length and cuff diameter allow, one can pinch the cuff between one's fingers and the meaty part of the hand, pulling the sleeve through. That's just barely possible with the sleeves on this shirt, though. Or is the answer simply to have the cuff be tight enough to not ride too far up the wrist and pull the sleeve out once the jacket is on?

For a barrel sleeve (i.e. buttons, no cuff links) your length looks just fine. If the sleeve gets caught up inside the jacket sleeve when you put on your jacket, grab the cuff between your palm and fingers as you pull it through the sleeve - if the sleeve's too short, leave it unbuttoned so you can grab a corner of it to hold, and keep it in place while you don the jacket, then button it up after.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are these sleeves a bit too short, or just right?

The length looks okay to me.

Secondly, and this sounds kind of silly, but what's the proper way to put on a jacket and get the shirt sleeves where they're supposed to be? If the shirt sleeve length and cuff diameter allow, one can pinch the cuff between one's fingers and the meaty part of the hand, pulling the sleeve through. That's just barely possible with the sleeves on this shirt, though. Or is the answer simply to have the cuff be tight enough to not ride too far up the wrist and pull the sleeve out once the jacket is on?
As you note, the "pinch shirt cuff while putting one's arm into jacket sleeve" approach is time tested and can prove fairly effective.

I can't believe that nobody's marketing some device which clips onto one's shirt sleeve cuff, and anchors to one's finger, preventing the shirt sleeve from riding up when one puts on a jacket. Surely, tens of thousands could be sold at $17.95 each, resulting in the brilliant inventor/marketer reaping a substantial profit. (Hey, I thought up the idea, so I want in on the ground floor.)

Alternatively, the shirt sleeve ride-up problem can be minimized by wearing jackets the sleeves of which aren't overly snug. Or, if the shirt sleeve does ride up a bit after putting on the jacket, reaching up into the jacket sleeve and tugging down the shirt sleeve via the use of thumb and forefinger of the opposite hand, is usually practical and can typically be done sufficiently unobtrusively so as to avoid attracting undue attention. (Of course, the old school, traditional rule has it that a gentleman does not remove his jacket in public. Such being the case, there would be no occasion for anyone else to see how you address this problem.)

Then again, perhaps this is an inherently trivial problem, and wasting more than half a second to it is excessive. But in a world where wars have been waged over which end of the soft boiled egg to crack (the bloody 18th century Endianess War, fought between the Lilliputs and the Blefescu, comes to mind), who is to say that a given issue is too unimportant to merit our attention, eh?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any input on the shoe picture earlier? I'll post a pic or two of just the shoes later if that'll help.

constantme

Reaction score
not sure if this is the right way to ask a question for a quick reply....

Does anyone know the width of fabrics currently being sold by Gladson? The fabric I have in mind is a two ply 170's cotton...Is it 45" or 36"?

Thanks!

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The 90 buck Aldo's? What's there to say?

Lets see how they hold up, but I think they look pretty good. Obviously, the devils in the details and the stitching isn't great... I'll probably wear them like once every week or two so I expect that I'll get atleast a couple of years out of them!

The uppers are softer than my AE's actually! I wanted to post pictures to show that I think that these are a great intermediary for boots that can be worn with jeans or a suit. I'll spend some time conditioning the leather and polishing them up over the weekend as well.

Last edited:

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Lets see how they hold up, but I think they look pretty good. Obviously, the devils in the details and the stitching isn't great... I'll probably wear them like once every week or two so I expect that I'll get atleast a couple of years out of them!

The uppers are softer than my AE's actually! I wanted to post pictures to show that I think that these are a great intermediary for boots that can be worn with jeans or a suit. I'll spend some time conditioning the leather and polishing them up over the weekend as well.
You are likely confusing soft leather with thin. In addition, those boots should not be worn with suits. Enjoy them for what they are.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this Drake's tie autenthic, or is it not part of the mainline? Notice the white label.

TheBlackDonDraper

Reaction score
Hey what's this guys name?

I like his style

ovlov

Reaction score
I'm going to check out a couple of places this weekend for MTM suiting. Some of their higher end ranges sound a little too good. Is there an issue with people peddling fake Dugdale Bros, Ariston, Dormeuil etc?
If so is there anything in particular I can look out for on the swatches to make sure they are legit?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are likely confusing soft leather with thin. In addition, those boots should not be worn with suits. Enjoy them for what they are.

The AE fifth street boots had leather that was as thin as this but that felt more plastic-y. The CH boots I tried were pretty soft though, but I'm not sure I want to support CH as a brand any more unless I buy more of the old stock. Even 200 feels too high for cole haan given the brands current state. The leather on my AE daltons is about one and a half times as thick if not a little more. It's not as soft feeling though.

Really? They look like regular shoes with the pant legs over them. I guess my standards are low because I'm in the medical field at an academic center!

In any event, thanks I will! I might try wearing them with more formal pants to see what they look like, but I think they fit the void in my wardrobe perfectly!

Businessness

Reaction score
Will a pair of Chelsea boots be any more sturdy or durable than a pair of dress shoes from the same company

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will a pair of Chelsea boots be any more sturdy or durable than a pair of dress shoes from the same company

From Aldo? Eh, I don't know. I'm not sure that I'd even wear Chelsea boots that much to be honest.

And if these boots hold their shape well and last a bit, I'm probably taking that as a sign of luck on my part than on quality on theirs. I've heard their made in china stuff is atrocious as they're basically 'fashion' shoes meant to last a season or two. These were made in mexico, so who knows maybe I'll get lucky!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads