1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Always.

1 person likes this.
  2. cakv

cakv Senior member

bump please :]

3. Suntory

Suntory Senior member

If you are supreme you can wear what you want.
    Shut up Gohan, go get another Ph.D or something and forget about how to fight.

4. cakv

cakv Senior member

Haha, I don't understand but ok.

5. Suntory

Suntory Senior member

Gohan grew up to be a scholar and less of a fighter after the Majin Buu arc...

6. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Is it possible to turn a button down shirt into a non button down by removing the buttons? Is this something a tailor can do?

7. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

No, because you will always have the buttonholes. Unless it was a hidden BD, in which case the answer becomes 'yes but why?'.

8. Suntory

Suntory Senior member

Can functioning suit sleeve buttons be modified to non-functioning?

9. Suntory

Suntory Senior member

Can waist suppression affect the chest size of the suit?

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

There are ways you can make them non-functional- but you can never close the buttonholes to move the buttons and adjust the sleeves, if that's what you're asking.

No, but you can take in the chest of a suit (usually for a decent bit of money, though). Waist suppression reduces the size of the waist, and tapers that change in dimension up to the chest, which should stay the same. Taking the back in or out can affect the chest size, though.

1 person likes this.
  11. Slh

Slh Senior member

I bought a pair of suede shoes, they were a perfect fit when new, but now they become slightly too big. Is there any way I can decrease the size of the shoes other than using thicker socks and insoles?

12. thelook

thelook Active Member

Jacket fit question.

I have the chance to get a jacket that is size 48L. I am pretty much a 46L. What are the issues pertaining to tailoring the jacket to be more snug? Is this workable? Expensive? Any insight appreciated.

13. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

If the shoulders don't fit then it won't work. Would 48L shoulders fit you well? If not then not worth it.

2 people like this.
  14. thelook

thelook Active Member

Thanks, I will have to examine that.

15. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Absent truly exceptional circumstances, I'd be unlikely to recommend one buy a jacket which is the wrong size, in the hope that it might be altered down to the right size.

Since 46L is not all that uncommon a jacket size, why not just buy a 46L? Because the store in question doesn't have a 46L in stock? Because there's a 48L available online for a great price? Because 48 is your lucky number? None of these are terribly convincing reasons.

Even if the 48L could be altered down to fit you, it's unlikely that the results will be better than what you'd get starting out with a 46L (and they may be decidedly worse). The expense - at least for truly skilled work - will often be non-trivial. And the general time and bother involved could also add up quickly.

clarksdb notes that if the 48L's shoulders fit you well, it might be worth trying. Fair enough. But one could maintain that if a 48L's shoulders fit you well, you are, in fact, a 48L. Not a 46L. That it's shoulder fit which is a primary determinate of jacket size, specifically because it's one of the most challenging aspects of a jacket to meaningfully alter with good results.

2 people like this.
  16. thelook

thelook Active Member

Thought provoking, I'm glad I asked the question.

It's an internet deal that I wondered whether was worth the trouble, perhaps not.

17. Suntory

Suntory Senior member

Perhaps you were not as strong as the emperor thought.

18. thelook

thelook Active Member

My limited interaction on this forum has yielded mixed results, but I would place this in the positive column.

19. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Just referring to a 46L or 48L as a generic size is not going to give the full picture. As others have implied, key dimensions vary from brand to brand (and within different fits offered by one brand). By way of example, Ralph Lauren Black Label is generally a trim fit and some may need to size up. Compare that to perhaps a Lauren Ralph Lauren or another of the more basic models where the sizing will be very different and likely more generous.

So, as far as you can seek out detailed measurements of the 48L garment and compare it to your well-fitting 46L. As previously noted, getting a tailor competent at altering the shoulder width is tough and expensive, but you may have 0.5" variation on the shoulders depending on how padded they are.

So compare measurements, and see how much work will be required. Likely the answer is too much to make the 'bargain' viable, but you may be pleasantly surprised.

1 person likes this.
  20. thelook

thelook Active Member

Thank you...I have compared the measurements, now to examine the issue of shoulder dimensions...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016