• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking for a inexpensive navy/white pindot tie

The Tie Bar sells such. $15. Available in 3 lengths (the extra long is $20), and 2 different widths. And in a couple of bow tie versions.

Perhaps not the greatest ties in the world, but they're more than acceptable for routine wear, and I'd take one over a used Lands' End tie, which you indicate is an option you're considering. (It's a coin toss between a new Lands' End tie, and a new Tie Bar tie.)

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page...=/search.asp?target=pin%20dot&viewall=viewall

I would add that while you're certainly entitled to wear a pin dot tie if that's what you like, I've always thought there were just too many dots for my taste on most pin dot ties. Consequently, I generally prefer a Churchill Dot design. You can see what I mean at http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page...ormSubmit.x=0&btnTemplateSearchFormSubmit.y=0

Should I get one from charless tyrwhitt (free with purchase of a shirt - about $50 total)
If you're jonesing for a Charles Tyrwhitt shirt, I suppose that's a viable option. But I probably wouldn't talk myself into buying a Charles Trywhitt shirt, just to put together a package deal on a shirt and tie. (Well, I definitely wouldn't, simply because I tend to want longer ties than the Charles Trywhitt ones, but that's neither here, nor there.) It's not like their ties are remarkable or anything. Nor, quite frankly, do I find their shirts to be terribly special, for all that they're okay, they're available in a nice variety, and I wear the ones I own.

NHKvictim

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a blazer from J Crew, but since I'm on the small side (I'm 5 feet and 1 Inch,
about 125lbs and my chest measure just about 34), I was wondering if I should get a boys 14 or 16?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're jonesing for a Charles Tyrwhitt shirt, I suppose that's a viable option. But I probably wouldn't talk myself into buying a Charles Trywhitt shirt, just to put together a package deal on a shirt and tie. (Well, I definitely wouldn't, simply because I tend to want longer ties than the Charles Trywhitt ones, but that's neither here, nor there.) It's not like their ties are remarkable or anything. Nor, quite frankly, do I find their shirts to be terribly special, for all that they're okay, they're available in a nice variety, and I wear the ones I own.

Tyrwhitt makes reasonably nice shirts, it's a good deal. They're not Brioni by any means, but they're a good sight better than most of the crap you might get at the mall. Just about everybody can always stand to add or upgrade some shirt in their wardrobe. For $40, you get the new tie and a nice shirt. Considering the market he's in for the tie, the CT shirt would probably be the best he owns. That kind of purchase would be a pretty good investment, IMO.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
To the extent that any tie may be seasonal (wool in winter, cotton in summer, etc..) does a raw silk tie have any seasonal connotation or like traditional silks are they year round?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chocolate brown suit + black shoes/bal boots? Yes/no?

Opinions vary, but I think black shoes actually works with dark browns pretty well. But then, I usually wind up wearing brown or burgundy shoes with brown pants.

To the extent that any tie may be seasonal (wool in winter, cotton in summer, etc..) does a raw silk tie have any seasonal connotation or like traditional silks are they year round?

They're usually considered a spring/summer thing.

victoremque

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with Orciani's leather jackets? I understand that their belts are relatively well regarded but I've yet to hear anything about whether or not that quality transfers over to their clothing.

CTLION

Reaction score
I like to wear either bright colored socks or socks with a great pattern. When possible I avoid matching to my suit and much prefer to match to my tie and/or pocket square. The safe route is the pants.

My suit reminds me I am working, my socks remind me that work can be fun.

CTLION

Reaction score
As of a couple of months ago I moved to Florida and with the move purchased 5 new suits including a khaki two button single breasted suit.

My question. Can I wear a khaki suit year round in Florida?

Second question: I also purchased a pair of walnut and bone two toned Broadstreet wingtips made by Allen Edmonds. Does the Labor Day rule apply to Florida...what about the Caribbean and Puerto Rico?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like to wear either bright colored socks or socks with a great pattern. When possible I avoid matching to my suit and much prefer to match to my tie and/or pocket square. The safe route is the pants.

My suit reminds me I am working, my socks remind me that work can be fun.

I regularly wear over-the-calf argyle socks. Yes, even with suits.

How does the saying go? "A businessman matches his socks to his trousers. A gentleman matches his socks to his mood."

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does the Labor Day rule apply to Florida...what about the Caribbean and Puerto Rico?

The Labor Day rule is merely a guideline, which is intended to be followed with some situational flexibility.

And Florida and the Caribbean, in the 21st century, are sufficiently different from the rule's 19th century New England origins, that you could probably get away with a great deal of flexibility.

Take all the relevant factors into consideration, then decide for yourself. And if you decide to deviate from the Labor Day rule, do so confidently. Few things look worse than a man who is uncomfortable with what he's wearing. Who is unsure as to whether he's dressed appropriately. Who is silently second guessing his sartorial choices. Conversely, few things will make you look better in your clothes than will confidence and self-assurance that you look right.

If you simply do not have it in you to decide for yourself, then identify a few men whose taste and judgement you respect, and see what they wear when they're in situations similar to those in which you find yourself. And taking into account certain personal differences between you and them (differences in age, build, etc.), copy them. Well, not slavishly, but at least let what they wear serve as your guide with regard to what's appropriate for you to wear, and when, and how.

CTLION

Reaction score

The Labor Day rule is merely a guideline, which is intended to be followed with some situational flexibility.

And Florida and the Caribbean, in the 21st century, are sufficiently different from the rule's 19th century New England origins, that you could probably get away with a great deal of flexibility.

Take all the relevant factors into consideration, then decide for yourself. And if you decide to deviate from the Labor Day rule, do so confidently. Few things look worse than a man who is uncomfortable with what he's wearing. Who is unsure as to whether he's dressed appropriately. Who is silently second guessing his sartorial choices. Conversely, few things will make you look better in your clothes than will confidence and self-assurance that you look right.

If you simply do not have it in you to decide for yourself, then identify a few men whose taste and judgement you respect, and see what they wear when they're in situations similar to those in which you find yourself. And taking into account certain personal differences between you and them (differences in age, build, etc.), copy them. Well, not slavishly, but at least let what they wear serve as your guide with regard to what's appropriate for you to wear, and when, and how.

Confidence has never been a problem, any man who can wear a kilt proudly can just about wear anything with confidence.

Just making sure was working within acceptable boundaries. I may make my own rule and cap the clothing to the temperature...anything about 75F will be acceptable...then again maybe 80F.

CTLION

Reaction score
I should mention I am fighting a new addiction. My old standard addiction was purchasing golf antiquities like a club owned by Bobby Jones, but since our move to Florida I have been going a little over the top on my wardrobe. It started buying 5 suits, have since added 4 new pairs of dress shoes including some stunning DiBiancos arriving in the next two weeks. I have probably purchased 12 new dress shirts and 10 new ties and 5 pocket squares and 12 new pairs of socks.

I think its time to pump the breaks but then again I think I want a new suit. Addiction?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads