1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

1 person likes this.
  2. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

The Gold Toe wool socks are not soft and luxurious, but they do the job and have held up well for me. They go down to $12 for 3 pair every so often on Amazon. I like OTC, so this is what I get.

1 person likes this.
  3. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Life is too short to put up with wool socks that aren't soft and luxurious.

4. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I'm in the market for gloves. I was originally looking at Chester Jeffries (Paris or Steward model) but today, learned about Hestra (Matthew or Andrea model) . It seems CJ is well regarded but what about Hestra? They run about the same price give or take $10-15. Finally, there seems to be little to no wait for Hestra to be shipped out.

5. 12345Michael54321

I'm not very familiar with Hestra. They may be great; I just don't know.

I do know Chester Jefferies gloves, and can definitely recommend them.

I'll add that it's usually a mistake to decide what to buy based on considerations of which will ship faster. If you need a pair of gloves right away, buy a cheap pair locally to tide you over until your good gloves show up in the mail.

6. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

How are Brooks Brothers lambskin gloves compared to CJ?

7. 12345Michael54321

Brooks gloves are okay, I guess.

But CJ is all about gloves. Gloves are at the core of CJ's business. Whereas at Brooks, gloves are just a very minor afterthought. A bit player, over in the accessories aisle.

CJ offers a vastly wider selection of gloves, and permits far more customization, than Brooks does.

I have no financial (or other) stake in CJ's success. Yeah, I owe one pair of their gloves, which I received as a gift in 2013. But if I thought that some other company did gloves better, I'd readily tell you so. I happen to own a pair of Totes leather gloves, too. Do you hear me urging you to run down to Walmart for a pair of Totes Isotoners?

Honestly, unless one is set on commissioning a pair of bespoke gloves from a top maker, I just can't see any reason to think you're going to track down something better than what CJ offers. Order them, and be content with your choice.

1 person likes this.
  8. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Around how much are CJ gloves? The BB gloves were $80 with 40% off. If CJ offers at a similar price I would buy them.

9. 12345Michael54321

1 person likes this.
  10. ertu

ertu Well-Known Member

How tight should the toebox be for a pair of leather boots? or even leather shoes? (but this question is specifically for boots if there is more than one answer)

I have a pair of RM williams boots and i was thinking of getting a new pair and sizing up 1/2 a size. My current pair, i can stand on the balls of my feet, but it feels slightly cramped in the toe area when i do, like there isn't truely enough room there. compared to my sneakers and another pair of dress shoes, i have no problems at all at the toebox area. i have normal D width feet if it helps.

for my boots, everything else fits normally, just the toe area concerns me. what does styleforum say about that?

11. Churchill W

As tight as it can be before it becomes uncomfortable is the rule for me.

12. mosy

mosy Senior member

I know the ideal way to wear a belt is by using the middle hole. However, sometimes I fall in between two sizes in a particlar belt. In that case, is it better to get the smaller size and use the 2nd hole, or should I get the bigger size and use the 4th hole?

13. Churchill W

Too much tail if you get the bigger size. I would rather go with the smaller size.

1 person likes this.
  14. mosy

mosy Senior member

makes sense...thanks

15. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

1 person likes this.
  16. ertu

ertu Well-Known Member

Do converse all-star shoes cause flat feet? I have been wearing mine for over a year and I love the look of the shoes but now i read that they might flatten your feet, which leads to problems later on life... which I don't want.

Now I don't think my feet have changed for all the time I have worn them but I stopped wearing them now due to caution.

I want to know from personal experience, converse shoes good or bad for your feet?

Another question, Common Projects Achilles low don't cause flat feet right? I feel silly for asking but I do it out of an abundance of caution. Before this I always wore Nike and Adidas and those are athletics shoes and I know they don't cause flat feet and I always took that for granted.

17. jamesmkeart

jamesmkeart Senior member

A lot of people recommend wearing shoes with flat, thin, shoes because they don't artificially hold your feet up so you have to walk in a more natural way.

18. cakv

cakv Senior member

Is this belt in dark olive too casual for chinos & a polo shirt or chinos & a button down?

Would any of you guys recommend this for jeans and chinos & polos?

19. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Senior member

I don't think I would recommend the first belt for anything outside of outdoors activities. The second one would probably work fine for casual jeans and chinos, but the logo on the keeper really ruins it.

20. 12345Michael54321

Agreed. Fortunately, it's just a simple, basic leather belt. Finding a dozen others practically identical to it, but without a logo on the keeper, should be easy.

I am a little curious as to the width of the belt, though. It's not given. While I accept that a belt worn with chinos needn't be as narrow as a 1" dress belt, neither am I a big fan of something significantly over 1.5".