1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

No.

I think that tie looks great. So would a black knit. :slayer:

2. 1up

1up Senior member

Thanks for the feedback, gents.

It's for a Christmas party, I feel the black knit would look a bit classier and work better?

1 person likes this.
  3. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

think it varies by brand.

4. mobobs

mobobs Senior member

I think the combo is fine. It's a bit conservative, but it does match. Anyway, if you want to liven it up, go with a brown or burgundy tie, both colors pair well with blue. I'm not a fan of the black knit tie.

5. 1up

1up Senior member

I was considering a wine or ox-blood colored knit too

6. mobobs

mobobs Senior member

Both of those would be very sharp! They'd create a much nicer contrast than the black would. [​IMG] I know it's not Navy, but that's the idea...

7. mobobs

mobobs Senior member

The oxblood would probably go better with the navy than a wine because of its depth.

8. 1up

1up Senior member

Right, and I think it complements browns (shoes/belt) better, as well.

9. ertu

ertu Well-Known Member

Does anyone know any places/webstores that sell SNS Herning sweaters and ship to Canada? (Preferably with not to high-prices either).

10. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Senior member

Unionmade does, but I don't think they meet the cheap requirement.

11. ertu

ertu Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what is the maximum value a package can be valued at when shipped from USA before it will get charged tax through Canadapost when coming into Canada? I am considering buy a pair of sneakers and I am not sure if $90USD will get hit or not.

12. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

While I've never lived in Canada, nor do I regularly ship goods to Canada, a few seconds with Google led me to https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGcustoms-e.asp#1382741

2.2.2 seems to directly address your question:

*begin quoted text*

Mail items valued at less than $20CDN

The CBSA does not assess duty or tax on mail items valued at $20CDN or less. However, this general rule does not apply to certain products including intoxicating beverages, cigars, cigarettes, manufactured tobacco, and publications where the supplier is required to register under the Excise Tax Act. Also, this may not be combined with other exemptions.

The CBSA does not consider items to be of low value in cases where a single transaction is split into smaller shipments to keep the value below $20CDN.

*end quoted text*

Of course, it may be that Canada Post's enforcement is imperfect, so perhaps many items over the $20CDN limit manage to slip through, without tax being charged. I couldn't say. But $20CDN seems to be the official answer. With various exceptions. Oh, and per 2.2.3, the cut-off amount for most gifts is $60CDN.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  13. GetBlatzed

GetBlatzed Senior member

Hey everyone. I'm trying to get some info on a wool jacket I just picked up. Would like to figure out the approximate age and possibly a value.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

Looks 1940s or early 1950s. Is it missing a button on the sleeve cuff?

15. GetBlatzed

GetBlatzed Senior member

Good eye! Sorry, should have mentioned that. It is missing that 1 button. But that seems to be the only really flaw, aside from some wear to the cuff lining. I figured it was pre-1960, because I couldn't find a material tag anywhere on it.. Thanks for the response!

16. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

I have a hunting jacket from the same era that I wear during the winter and paid about 70 dollars for it at a vintage store. You could probably get at least that much out of yours, especially if you can source a matching sleeve button from an antique store and sew it on with cotton thread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Raisan

Raisan Member

Is there any guide to shoe colors and clothing pieces? I want to buy some Loake Heston in tan would it go with grey/black clothes? New to classic menswear not sure what colors to go with yet.

[​IMG]

18. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

^Mid gray, yes. Dark gray and black, no.

Black pants or suits require black shoes. You have some flexibility with grays, but those are not the most versatile shoes- to wear with charcoal, you'd need a substantially darker brown or a burgundy.

2 people like this.
  19. mosy

mosy Senior member

right on

20. Isolation

Isolation Senior member