1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mosy

mosy Senior member

Is there a trick to getting on high vamp loafers without your socks getting all bunched up like this?

[​IMG]

(This happens even with my thinner socks.)

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

Sized socks without stretch materials, or sock garters. You could also use a stick to poke your socks down.

3. JOLG

JOLG Member

All other fit issues aside, are the armholes on this coat unusually low/too low/too big on this coat?
    http://imgur.com/D0hyvYk

4. Slh

Slh Senior member

can trousers risk of looking like orphan like jackets? You can distinguish odd jackets from suit jackets with material, different buttons, patch pockets,etc, but with trousers?
    Can a pair of flannel trousers or linen pants look like orphan?

5. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I would really only worry about that with striped trousers. I don't think it's much of an issue with solids or checks.

1 person likes this.
  6. farhantaz

farhantaz Member

Hi all,

New to the luxury products scene (just bought my first good pair of shoes).

QUick question: I have Avel Renovateur. Is this the same as the Saphir one?
    When polishing shoes, am I right that I should apply the renovateur (after brushing shoe down), and then apply Saphir creme and then apply wax for a better shine?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Farhan

7. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Yes, that's the right order.

8. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

Two questions:

1) Since I'm not a fan of loafers, and live in deathly hot south Florida, what are my options for casual shoes to wear with shorts? I sweat far too much to wear pants during the middle of summer. Keep in mind that I'm in my early 30s.

2) Similarly, I'm not crazy about button-down collars on casual shirts (I know this may be slightly controversial here). What are some other CM-approved collar options for casual shirts? Pics would be great as well. I'm thinking of button-down shirts more so than pullovers or polo shirts, but I wear those as well.

9. TheSunisShining

TheSunisShining Senior member

Definitely not an extremely colourful tie. A nice charcoal grey or dark shades of ties would work well, I think.

10. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

A week late, I know, but it's impossible to tell from the photo you provided. How does the jacket feel? Ideally the armhole should be high enough to give you freedom of movement when you raise your arm away from your body without pulling your jacket upwards excessively. With the jacket on, you should have enough room to slip your hand comfortably into the opposite armhole but not a lot more than that e.g. not a fist.

11. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

YMMV, but a charcoal grey tie is possibly the only color I wouldn't pick for a charcoal suit and blue shirt. I could maybe see it working with a white shirt and black shoes as a monochromatic look, but in that case I'd probably pick a black tie.

12. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

I have some Bresciani with clocking, but they make such a wide range you need to fine someone who stocks them. Kabbaz / Kelly do, but there may be others:

http://www.customshirt1.com/Socks_M_Fun.html

The Avel renovateur has a slightly different formulation and lower price than the Saphir one, but in practice I've found no practical difference. Both are quality products.

13. TheSunisShining

Regardless of which tie you pick - the key is to always make sure the length is only up to the top of your belt!

anything more (or less) looks out of place!

14. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

How about just not buttoning the collar on your button down shirts? I call that best casual practice.

15. TheSunisShining

You could do this in a casual setting. What I find with some casual shirts, though, is sometimes its cooler to do the top button up, but leave the very bottom button undone.

Depends on your preference/style.

16. Satmoche

Satmoche Senior member

Gentlemen,

I have a dilemma, I want to buy another green tie but I struggle to choose between these two:

Shibumi:
    [​IMG]

Conrad Wu:
    [​IMG]

I am wondering which one would be more versatile (to be worn with both a smart suit or a blazer) ?

17. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

I definitely prefer the second one, but versatility when worn with a smart suit or a blazer really depends on exactly which suit, on the nature of the blazer, on one's shirt, the season of the year/time of day, the situation in which the tie will be worn, and a whole slew of other factors. Even considerations such as one's skin tone and eye color can enter into it.

It's very difficult to make such a determination in a [near] vacuum.

Fortunately, perfectly decent quality neckties can be had at sufficiently modest expense that one can own an assortment, making it far less vital to maximize the versatility of any given tie than it might be to maximize the versatility of, say, a $7500 wristwatch.

1 person likes this.
  18. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I'd say go with the first one, because I like brighter colors, but the second one is probably more versatile because it is less bright.

19. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I prefer the first, and would say that they're equally versatile. They're both lovely ties, so maybe flip a coin?

1 person likes this.
  20. ka007

ka007 Member

Can these AE's be repaired by a cobbler? I want to get some opinions before I commit to purchasing, thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]