• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Off My Rack

Reaction score
Quote:
First off, I got a great deal - paid only $200 for it. Secondly, I'm also thinking about it for alterations. It would be significantly cheaper if I could avoid having the sleeves taken up at the shoulders. Plus, I could have my tailor do the work for me if I feel uncomfortable using a seam ripper to do it myself. I'm more concerned with knowing whether any imperfections will be left behind where the stiching was. I'm not too concerned with the fact that its a Canali SC, I just liked the fit and fabric.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: I recently bought a shirt at a thrift store with a monogram, when I used the thread puller you could still see the indentations of the monogram and I pulled a few extra threads so am going to wind up re-donating it. I guess if you have to have the sleeves significantly hemmed you would need them removed I guess I would verify with my tailor and let them do it.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I just purchased a Canali sportcoat - and I only have one problem with it. It has those annoying non-functioning surgeon's cuffs. Has anyone had any exprerience getting rid of these? It seems as though it should be easy to just use a seam ripper to get rid of all of that extra stitching, but I wanted to check and see if there's any reason I should avoid doing this.

Any thoughts?

Don't do it. If you want working sleeve buttons, then buy a jacket that has them. Leave this the way it was made (I have one too, and found it similarly irritating, but it IS a lovely thing.)
Is this suit too big?
Yes it is. Next!

acinod

Reaction score
If I only own 3 ties in my life, which ones should they be specifically?

Solid navy, solid burgundy and solid silver? (all silk)

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Manton says (as far as I recall):
1. Black knit or grenadine.
2. Navy knit or grenadine.

I would make #3 an A&S repp tie, but I'm an American so I can do those with impunity. Otherwise, a twill neat of some kind would be good. Madder would be great, if it weren't seasonal.

I don't like navy ties with navy jackets that much, so I might suggest a burgundy instead, but he knows better than I do.

Dillardiv

Reaction score
I'm looking for a nice fitting lambswool shawl collar sweater. JCrew would normally by my go-to but they don't seem to have any option other than a cotton blend. Any help?

Off My Rack

Reaction score
Quote:
I'm honestly fine with either functioning or non-functioning sleeve buttons. I just don't like it when they try to look like functioning sleeve buttons. And are you saying that non-functioning sleeve buttons with fake buttonholes is a lovely thing? This makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The functional sleeve button thing has gone a bit too far - I bought a jacket that had three functional buttonholes and a fake one... the outermost! Yeah, just so you're forced to wear it unbuttoned. Of course I asked my tailor to cut open the buttonhole.

JOLG

Reaction score
Where can I buy a good bow tie for a black tie event on the internet?

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I buy a good bow tie for a black tie event on the internet?
Price range and location would be a good start. If you are in Norway it will be a much different answer than in the US.

JOLG

Reaction score
Sorry for the missing information. I live in Germany and would like to pay up to 60€. I would also buy from a shop located in the US though, although the shipping fee could be expensive.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the missing information. I live in Germany and would like to pay up to 60€. I would also buy from a shop located in the US though, although the shipping fee could be expensive.
You could check thetiebar.com international shipping is $9.99 flat for orders under $149 with no tracking and $19.99 any order with tracking.

In totally off topic, I searched for german bowtie to see if I could find something nearby to you and the number one result was messed up.

kayhill

Reaction score
If I only own 3 ties in my life, which ones should they be specifically?

Solid navy, solid burgundy and solid silver? (all silk)

I personally think grey is more versatile than silver.

Also consider having one of them in a fairly basic pattern. Polka dots (not too small or tight) or some such.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads