1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. erikrw

erikrw Member

This is also what surprised me (here in Denmark): Both the salesman and the unrelated (alteration) tailor wanted the sleeve to be pretty long. So I see having them properly shortened as a way to stand out positively. I just hope it will not end up as standing out negatively, if everyone else perhaps shows no shift cuff! (I'm starting a job at a consulting firm next month).

By the way, my tailor's reason for not shortening further was that when I extend my arms forward, I will show plenty of cuff. But I think it's much better to show a little cuff at rest and then plenty plus that little extra bit when extending my arms fully forward.

1 person likes this.
  2. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

First off all, your shirt sleeves have to fit right. If all of your shirts have different sleeve lengths and cuff sizes, you're jacket sleeves will never look right. All your shirt sleeves need to end at the smallest part of your wrist, and your jacket sleeves 1 cm above that. Whenever you try on a new jacket, always wear your best fitting shirt.

3. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

Can anyone tell me what the US size on this pair of Edward Green Beaulieus is? The 9/9.5E is confusing me. Thanks.[​IMG]

4. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

The first number is the UK size; the second is the US size.

5. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

Thank you. That's what I was told, but wanted to double check. I appreciate the quick response.

6. erikrw

erikrw Member

Thanks. As I'm looking into this, I realize two things:
    1) My arms have slightly different lengths! (Probably because I broke my collar bone as a kid.)
    2) To be able to access my watch without unbuttoning the cuff, I need the cuff to be loose enough that it will look more like the top right part of my previous pic, even though it is a fairly thin Skagen watch.

[​IMG]

7. iloveshirts

iloveshirts Active Member

What do you think to the fit of this jacket?

[​IMG]
    http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/6
    1/id/1863432/width/200/height/400
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  8. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

You have to button it up.

1 person likes this.
  9. jamesmkeart

jamesmkeart Senior member

Are Gitman brothers shirts made for a menswear store considered the same quality as their normal shirts? I found a couple from a now closed store Roger Stevens and they seem to be pretty nice.

10. 1up

1up Senior member

What are my options for a dress shoe when I walk 20-30 minutes a day to and from work?

Are wooden soles pointless? Should I get rubber heeled shoes? Do high end makers offer these types of shoes, or should I consult a cobbler?

11. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

+1

I think you mean leather soles. Both should be fine. Really just depends on your comfort level.

12. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

Maybe he's Dutch.

1 person likes this.
  13. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

He looks like Sean Connery in his profile picture.

14. Torzano

Torzano Well-Known Member

I have a pair of trousers a little too tight in the thigh and seat. It causes the pockets to flair. Would getting a tailor to let out the waist help at all or do I have to just get used to them being on the tighter side.

15. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Are they tight in the waist as well? You could get him to just let out the seat a touch. There should be enough extra fabric there to give you a little more space.

1 person likes this.
  16. nttdocomo

nttdocomo Senior member

Constructive comments on my new suit jacket (trousers are perfect). I need to know what to do.

[​IMG]

Changing the shadows so you can see details (ignore colour).

[​IMG]
    I don't feel it looks so flattering to my athletic physique, but am I just swayed by recent fashions?

[​IMG]

Is this just sleeve pitch?

[​IMG]

Or should I try 44L (shown is 42L)

[​IMG]

17. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

hey all. is it possible to get a "decent" quality button down dress shirt for ~$30 other than the times that Charles Tyrwhitt is on sale?

seems super impossible.

thanks! :slayer:

18. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Probably depends on your definition of quality, but you might try Thin Red Line, although I don't know if their slim fit would be cut slim enough for you (don't you usually prefer ESF?). Their shirts are well made but boxy. Based on my experience order at least a neck size smaller than you think you need (or at least half). Probably better to hold off for Tyrwhitt.

19. nttdocomo

nttdocomo Senior member

Quote: Already have; no luck so far. Need an answer soon as I want to strike whilst the iron's hot.

20. Steven Cash

Steven Cash Senior member

What umbrella handle would people recommend for formal (dinner jacket) evening events?

I am quite partial for whangee but cannot see this as dressy enough unfortunately. That leaves me with malacca and maple out of what I have seen.

What are people's opinion on silver lapbands?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015