1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

You're not going to be outshining anyone just by wearing a vest. :thumbs-up:

2. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

This is one of those ones where: - Many on SF may tell you that a sports jacket would be much better than a suit jacket, and wearing a suit jacket for such occasion would be a faux pas for sure. - In the wider world, no one will care - as long as the suit jacket fits you well, you'll be sweet. Yeah a sports jacket would be better, but if you don't have one, using your suit jacket will work OK. Having said that - why don't you get yourself a suit bag, and carry both a suit bag and a carry on? I always do that, so that I can have a wider range of clothes to wear (and to ensure I'm not stuffing my suit inside my suitcase, since that'll mean ironing for sure).

1 person likes this.
  3. EUtroll

EUtroll Senior member

+1

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

+1

5. dragos25

dragos25 Senior member

This friday I will attend a buddy's birthday at a fancy restaurant in town. All the other guys will be wearing at least a sportcoat/blazer and a bow tie(here, bowties are almost universally worn at events like this instead of long ties). My problem is that, unfortunately, I only own a thrifted navy flannel suit and I hate bowties outside of formal wear.
    As such, I have two questions: First, can I wear the navy flannel suit , or just the jacket with chinos and dress shoes, or is it too seasonally inappropriate? The event would take place during the evening and at night, indoors and predicted temperatures for friday are around 65 degrees fahrenheit- 18 celsius and I'm thinking I'll take the jacket off if there's any dancing or something.. If the flannel doesn't work what would be a good alternative to go shopping for : navy or medium grey cotton blazer or suit or maybe a worsted suit?
    And second, what would be a nice, festive tie to wear as an alternative to a bowtie? Something that isn't CBD- I was thinking navy or silver grenadine, silk knit or cotton.
    Here's my current collection:
    [​IMG]
    Anything I can wear from here, or should I go shopping?

Or I could wear an open collar with white linen PS, cause there's no way in hell I'm wearing a bowtie if it's not with a tux or dinner jacket.
    Any help is greatly appreciated

6. flawfless

flawfless New Member

What do you guys think about this jacket? It's made of peccary skin, can it be super cool and versatile in chocolate color? Thanks!

7. BchBum11511

BchBum11511 Member

I'm planning to get my second MTM suit started this weekend. It's going to be a classic navy (maybe slightly lighter shade), but I can't decide if I should get a ticket pocket or not. I planning to get two pairs of pants: one cuffed, the other plain (both flat front). The different pants would make it seem like two suits. But the ticket pocket on the jacket kind of prevents that. What do you guys think?

8. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Don't get a ticket pocket.

9. EUtroll

EUtroll Senior member

Simple answer, most will not even think about it :) That said, I got a ticket pocket on my last mtm and was sceptical but I love it. Fun with some alternative details on different pieces.

10. BchBum11511

BchBum11511 Member

For the reason I stated, or another?

That's kind of what I was thinking. I got one the last time around and like it. Makes it harder not to get one this time [​IMG]

11. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

It'd be absolutely fine. It's basically a blazer suit.

12. erikrw

erikrw Member

Hi guys, I am new to classic menswear. I bought a suit off the rack but asked them to shorten the sleeves, considering what I have read about proper suit fit. I suggested 2 cm (0.8") and the salesman said that's the most he would recommend shortening it (he'd prefer 1.5 cm).

After I got it back 2 cm (0.8") shorter from the in-house alteration, I still think the sleeves are too long. So I took it to a tailor to ask his opinion and he said he'd like to make money, but if I shorten the sleeves any more, I'll ruin the suit. What do you think?

[​IMG]

(The trousers are getting altered at the tailor; hence the jeans)

As per this post http://www.styleforum.net/t/371944/...e-length-for-a-sport-coat-blazer#post_6780667 I have left out the shirt sleeve because the jacket sleeve should match my arms rather than the particular shirt I'm wearing today. But to get "a half-inch of linen" showing, I basically cannot button the shirt cuff, or it will hang shorter than the jacket sleeve and be hidden.

13. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

You're right--your jacket sleeves are still too long. I don't know what your tailor is talking about when he says that you'll ruin the suit, unless it's cotton. The extra material should be folded under so that you'll be able to reverse the sleeve alteration, should you decide to lengthen the sleeves again. Is it because you have working sleeve buttons, so that the last button is too close to the end of the sleeve if you shorten more?

I like the end of my shirt cuff to rest at the base of my thumb when buttoned i.e. where you jacket is ending up now. I then have the jacket sleeve shortened enough to have a bit of shirt cuff showing.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  14. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Dingus, I've seen plenty of respected posters in the WAYWRN CM thread repurposing their suit jackets on some occasions. Now most of the time, they are textured suits to begin with, but that is a solid navy jacket with brown buttons. The weave may be suit-like, but you'll get away with it, and no one will be the wiser, unless they are one of us (and even then it's questionable).

1 person likes this.
  15. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

You should take a picture with a shirt on.

16. erikrw

erikrw Member

By ruin I think he just meant it would look bad. It doesn't have working sleeve buttons. However, to shorten the sleeve more, the lowest button would have to be moved.

The shirt wouldn't be visible. However, here are some more pics with shirt:

[​IMG]

The left column uses the tight buttoning of the shirt sleeve, and the right column of the picture uses the loose buttoning. I think the tight buttoning looks better, but then there's no space for a watch, not even a thin one.

In the lower left, I have pulled up the jacket sleeve 3 cm (1.2") to reveal a bit of shirt cuff. In the lower right pic the loose cuff hangs a bit lower, and here I have pulled the jacket sleeve up 2 cm (0.8").

17. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

Moving a non working buttonhole is very straightforward. I'd find another tailor if your current tailor is giving you grief over shortening what is obviously an overly long jacket sleeve.
    As for your shirt, personally I'd have the cuff button moved so that you're in between the two pictures. The narrower option looks too narrow to me.

18. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

See, with the pics, you can get proper advice! I also agree that a middle point would be best for your shirt button. As for the jacket, it looks ok. I prefer to show cuff closer to the right pic. Even a little more. But that can just be the pic.

19. erikrw

erikrw Member

Thanks guys! I'll try another tailor, and also look at the cuff fit of my shirts.

20. theplayerking

theplayerking Well-Known Member

That sleeve is too long, shirt or no shirt. This is a frequent frustration I have with American alterations tailors. I think many of them were trained not to show any cuff at all. I sometimes have to argue with them to get them to make my sleeves high enough. (I personally prefer half and inch of cuff.) In the end it’s your jacket and you’re paying them to get it the way you want it.

1 person likes this.