• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've got a medium gray linen suit that I'm wearing to a friends wedding tomorrow morning. I usually wear it with an open collar but figure I should go with a tie for the wedding. So quick opinion on color: brown, dark red, dark violet, navy/silver stripe, or even something more fun like orange or royal blue. Any real standards for medium gray?

Go with the navy/silver stripe and a white shirt. It will look classic. The next choice would be a navy blue.

PoorHomey

Reaction score
Can anyone help identify the maker of these shoes?

I purchased them at a thrift store for $1.99

Aside from the fact they were made in England, I can find no manufacturer's name shown anywhere on them and google searches of "Shoe 175532" haven't been much help at all.

enjoiii

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any recomnedations for a coat similar to the camel one in the middle in the photo above? Would also be ok with a similar style coat in navy

.[ATTACHMENT=7351]tumblr_mk33yjkTMu1qkegsbo1_500.jpg (58k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Thanks

mezentius

Reaction score
Hi all;

I just purchased some 10.5 AEs. Previously, I had bought some Gravati shoes which were 10.5 US, which converts from my 9.5 UK and fits pretty well. However, AE lists on their site a 9.5 - 10 UK-US conversion. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

plainnerd

Reaction score

Don't dress "fun" unless it's a costume party. Dress nice.

Its a casual outdoor morning wedding, so I figured something bright could work. But yeah, I'm gonna go with the navy/silver one, it just looks best.

acedevil

Reaction score
What can I do to be best dressed while not being too overdressed on every occasion? I am 19 (And no, I don't wear caps or whatever else is the new 'fashion)

So, I'll break down the occasions, from when I am best dressed to worst. Keep in mind that I am not slim. I do my gym seriously but bulky in the midriff.
1) Close Wedding - Black Tux with a bow tie
2) Formal Occasion - Three piece charcoal grey suit (I am planning on buying a slim fit navy suit based on the opinion that I look better in slim fit shirts)

3) Clubs/ Dance clubs/ Night clubs - I usually wear a button down shirt with jeans and sneakers. But this is one of the area's I am looking to improve. What are your opinions on chinos with a t-shirt/Henley, not tucked in. Chinos with shirt tucked out or tucked in? With sneakers or leather oxfords?

4) Bars - A semi-shirt with trousers or jeans, depending on the situation along with my leather oxfords.

5) College - I used to think that graphic t-shirts is a no-no. But I see everyone wearing it. I usually wear a casual shirt with jeans but I don't know anymore.

6) Birthdays - This one, you are going to have to help. I don't know anymore. People are usually in shirts tucked into jeans, but I don't think that is right .Wear trousers or chinos if you want to tuck in. But that's my opinion. It's subjective.

7) Other occasions - I have things like going to the local market and everything in this so it isn't a bother to you. Usually shorts and t-shirt or shirt. Nothing special. Haha, you don't need to help me either.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Three simple things to apply to all of the above and achieve your objective:

1. Always tuck in. Even if you're a fat dude. Letting it all hang out doesn't hide anything, it just looks a little shambolic. Just make sure your trousers fit comfortably.

2. And always wear chinos when others wear jeans (cargos, at a push, if you're really going casual). In turn, wear flannels or linen when others wear chinos.

3. The most awesome advice you will ever have: never, ever wear sneakers unless you're exercising or playing an appropriate sport. Always wear proper shoes - they are no more expensive. Always clean them and learn how to polish them. And even if you're dressing down, suede oxfords, chukka boots, or the original sports shoes like saddles and spectators if you're brave enough, will get you noticed as being a put together dude and never, ever, looking like a slob even when you're slobbing.

Previous shoe advice to a young man: take it, and be awesome. :)

http://www.styleforum.net/t/79716/a...t-all-quick-questions-here/22605#post_6451546

http://www.styleforum.net/t/79716/a...t-all-quick-questions-here/22635#post_6453044

acedevil

Reaction score
1. Always tuck in. Even if you're a fat dude. Letting it all hang out doesn't hide anything, it just looks a little shambolic. Just make sure your trousers fit comfortably.

Haha, trust me I know all too well that it doesn't hide anything. I know not tucking in your shirt isn't the best option. But it looks casual. Or maybe I am wrong.

2. And always wear chinos when others wear jeans (cargos, at a push, if you're really going casual). In turn, wear flannels or linen when others wear chinos.

Cargos I don't wear. It's either shorts, jeans, chinos or trousers. (In order from informal to formal) What do you think about wearing a Henley or a solid V-neck t-shirt with chinos?

3. The most awesome advice you will ever have: never, ever wear sneakers unless you're exercising or playing an appropriate sport. Always wear proper shoes - they are no more expensive. Always clean them and learn how to polish them. And even if you're dressing down, suede oxfords, chukka boots, or the original sports shoes like saddles and spectators if you're brave enough, will get you noticed as being a put together dude and never, ever, looking like a slob even when you're slobbing.

I agree to that. I have three pairs of oxfords, ranging from a designed (I don't know what to call it), crocodile leather and a patent leather shoe because I knows they are important. But judging from the informative answers you've given, I am guessing I don't think I can imagine how important they are.
I am not too big on sneakers, but what about in clubs? I always thought it was a norm of some sort.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Crocodile? Patent? Hmm...slow down! That's some freakishness there which could be cool...but get some staples. Don't ever wear shorts unless you're on the beach, leave jeans far behind (they are not flattering anyway), and it's not a competition to look casual..tuck that thing in. And T-shirts, v-neck or otherwise, must die. Your absolute casual is a polo.

Anyway, it's all early, relax and find stuff you like. Try things out, be wrong, it doesn't matter. But stay here...you will develop into a sharp dude who doesn't give a **** that his friends are in jeans and tees and he's rocking a tweed blazer and a new pair of cordovan shortwings. But there's no hurry.

As for sneakers though, "club" or not, you will always look cooler wearing something else. That's just a fact. Even if it's as easy and casual as a $60 crepe soled suede derby. It's just so much more manly.

Last edited:

mixedmajik

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering what this style of shirt is called and where i can find them online for slim small people (135 pound 5'6 male). Most dress shirts muffin top for me and/or are not form fitting at all. This style of shirt looked nice on a guy i saw working in a store and if one asked me a red longsleeve shirt would ever look good on someone i would have laughed at them. I stand corrected...what are these and where can i find them? Thanks a lot SF

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, trust me I know all too well that it doesn't hide anything. I know not tucking in your shirt isn't the best option. But it looks casual. Or maybe I am wrong.
Cargos I don't wear. It's either shorts, jeans, chinos or trousers. (In order from informal to formal) What do you think about wearing a Henley or a solid V-neck t-shirt with chinos?
I agree to that. I have three pairs of oxfords, ranging from a designed (I don't know what to call it), crocodile leather and a patent leather shoe because I knows they are important. But judging from the informative answers you've given, I am guessing I don't think I can imagine how important they are.
I am not too big on sneakers, but what about in clubs? I always thought it was a norm of some sort.

Don't wear sneakers in clubs. Where something black and sleek (not square-toed). A black side-zip or Chelsea boot is nice. Wholecut oxfords would probably work as well, depending on how formal you are going for. I think boots generally work well here. Another example is the C&J Tetbury: http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Tetbury-Black-Ant-Nu#.UivDg53D-M8

As for jeans, I think a nice, fitted, dark pair can look very good, especially at night. I'm not sure I think chinos are a better option for evenings when you would be better off with something dark and not brown.

Edit to add: I agree with the other poster who said that you should only wear sneakers when exercising. There is always a better option.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads