1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Can anyone recommend a mid brown suede belt?

2. Muscles

Muscles Member

Thanks guys, I think I will get a new suit in a lighter or brighter blue. I'd feel weird wearing the navy or light grey and my skin tone doesn't suit tan.

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I'd opt for a checked suit. Something you can wear to work on less formal days, and that can be worn for festive social occasions. Don't know if you have suitsupply down under, but something like this.

4. greu1

greu1 Member

what do folks think of this tie from Ralph lauren purple label? It's so unusual for PL, which is always understated and conservative. first i thought there was an art deco vibe, but now it looks like 90s jazz band teacher on the simpsons?

thoughts?

[​IMG]

5. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

Sorry wrong thread.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  6. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I get a deco vibe, but really, when you get outside of the mainstream of conservative design, the lines are blurry on the difference between retro cool and modern tacky. A lot of the designs we think of as vintage and cool now were considered tacky in their time by many (see: Art Deco ties). If you like it, wear it. It not, don't. I see Jerry Garcia type stuff all the time, and you know what? It can look pretty decent matched up with a conservative suit and tie. The tie will be the focus of the outfit, so tone down the rest of the outfit, but if you want to wear it, I don't see why not.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  7. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

How dark is the navy blue? Can't give a good answer without pics.
    Ew.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  8. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

I find it unappealing, and it would be of extraordinarily limited use to me. (I might wear it for costume purposes. Sort of like my lime green polyester leisure suit.)

While items from RL's purple label do sometimes appeal to me, I've got to judge an item on its own merits, and not by its brand name. And if I came across this tie at Goodwill, for 50 cents, I wouldn't part with the half buck for it. (This assumes I'm inhabiting a world where it's not possible to flip things for a profit on eBay, of course.)

My first thought was that it wasn't a genuine Ralph Lauren Purple Label, at all, but was a counterfeit product.

If you admit you found it at a flea market in Wuxi, China, that'd still be my primary explanation for the tie. :)

Otherwise, well, maybe old Ralph just blew it with this one. It happens.

9. iloveshirts

iloveshirts Active Member

Needed to buy a quick suit for an interview and found this one. I know it doesn't fit perfectly but will it suffice for an interview do you think?

Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

10. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Sure, it'll do. :)

11. iloveshirts

Thanks for your reply what do you think to the fit generally? :)

12. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I think, with your hands in your pockets, it looks terrible. Take your hands out, take another picture, and never put your hands back in your pockets again. :D

All kidding aside, take another pick without your hands in your pockets.

13. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Is a Drop 8L in Isaia jackets mean it is a sized Long jacket?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

14. iloveshirts

Here's me without my hands in my pockets what do you think now? :)
    [​IMG]

Here's another pic!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  15. CJ23

CJ23 Well-Known Member

Looking for a pair of black longwings with antique or natural trim. Does anyone have any ideas ?

16. ryankm

ryankm Member

So I found a dirt cheap pair of Alden's, and I'm conflicted on whether or not to buy them. The leather uppers are in good condition, the soles aren't that bad, and they fit like a glove. Only problem is they have some really bad creases on the fronts. Should I pass on these? I'd definitely take the gamble if there was a chance of nursing these back to good health.

I've heard that there is a method for removing/diminishing creases using a shoe tree, some shoe cream, and a blowdryer/iron. Anyone know if it actually works?

17. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Sleeves look fine in the first picture, but shirt sleeves look too long/jacket sleeves look too short in the second picture....

Looks like you are almost about to fall over in the second pic too.

1 person likes this.
  18. iloveshirts

Yes I think the shirt sleeves are too long and yeah for some strange reason I didn't realise I was tilting to one side in the second pic.

Do you think this suit as it stands is accepetable to wear for an interview?

I wore it out last night and got quite a few compliements from the ladies haha!

19. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

In my opinion, that creasing isn't that bad for a used shoe. There's a lot of life in those left, and if you take proper care of them, they'll last a long time for you.

20. ryankm

ryankm Member

Know what, you're right. They aren't as bad as I made them out to be, and at the price I found them at it'd be worth it to take a flyer on them regardless. Still would like some info on whether it's possible to lessen the visibility of creases like that.