1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. hrv123

hrv123 Senior member

How complicated is shortening cuffed pants ?

2. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Not very. Depends on how high you want your cuff to be, but basically, lets say you want a 2 inch cuff. First, using a seam ripper, remove the original hem, and any sewing holding the cuffs up (usually on the outside and inside seams about 3/4 of the height of the cuff. Once you've got all that removed, fold the pants about 2 inches longer than you actually want them to sit, so say your outseam is 40in, you would fold them over so that they are a 42 in outseam without a cuff. Iron in the new crease, sew in the new hem, then fold back the cuff to the height you want it (2in), and sew in about 3/4 of the way up the cuff from the bottom of the cuff along the out- and inside seams from the bottom to hold it up. I'm willing to bet you could find a tutorial online somewhere if you googled a bit.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  3. dragos25

dragos25 Senior member

I have a pair of flannel trousers with bell bottoms [​IMG] from a thrifted suit and I want to have them made straight or tapered a bit from the knee down, should I have tailor take them in from both sides so as to preserve the crease, or just from the outseam/inseam , whichever one's better. Should I be worried about the tailor messing up, the old crease not coming out completely, or not being centered (if taking in from both sides) or even the wool developing a shine from pressing?
    Sorry to bother but I'm paranoid and don't trust anyone [​IMG]

4. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Both sides if you want the crease. You can avoid pressing sheen by placing a thin cotton cloth between the iron and the pants. Tshirt will do. make sure they do that when pressing, or, if you don't trust them, press them yourself. Anyway, if you only take them in from one side, they're going to look all fucked up.

5. dragos25

dragos25 Senior member

I'll look around for a better tailor and see what they can do. Thanks!

6. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

The darker pair IMO.

1 person likes this.
  7. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I think if you can get a darker pair than both, then I'd get that one and the lighter one, if you just want one, then yeah, the darker pair.

8. beyer413

beyer413 New Member

Can any identify the designer of this coat? Seen in a recent Yoox email blast. Thanks![​IMG]

9. Randy Brooks

Randy Brooks Senior member

Thanks for the feedback but I bought the darker pair and after walking around my house for a bit the heel slips too much, so they're going back to the store. I already have a darker pair but the lighter ones have shipped already. If they fit I suppose I'll keep them.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  10. thatboyo

thatboyo Senior member

Not sure where to put this since Howard Yount thread is closed, but is he still shipping out orders? I know people have had trouble with emails and returns but last I checked, he still ships items out. I ordered a few days ago and nothing when in the past I got tracking pretty much within 24 hours.

11. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

Dear gents,

I recently snapped a MoP button on one of my shirt cuffs. I don't have any spare buttons at home, and I am not particularly fond of how thin the factory buttons are, so I am considering replacing all the buttons on the shirt. Are there any recommendation on where to get MoP buttons online. My first thoughts would be Acorn or HWA Seng, but I was hoping to find an online haberdashery based in the US (or brick and mortar in IL).

I would appreciate any insight.

Cheers,
    HPH

12. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Frankly this is hard. You can place an order from Alibaba, but you have to buy like 50 or so buttons at a time. There are sometimes people selling buttons int he B&S, but they typically prefer to deal in quantity. I've had a lot of trouble finding a place to buy just a few MoP buttons.

13. pendragon

pendragon Senior member

I have a set that might work for you. They are regular colored MOP buttons I cut off a Barba shirt that finally gave up the ghost. They are 10mm x 3mm for the button holes, with some smaller ones for cuff / collar. I'll part with them for a reasonable price, so PM me if you're interested.

14. Ecloth

Ecloth Member

Hi all,
    I posted this in a Canali thread, but think I should have posed here, so I'm reposting.

Quick request for advice. The Canali suit linked below is on sale at Nordstrom. It fits me extraordinarily well and I quite like it. My one concern is that the color (both on the internet and in person) seems a bit on the light side for a navy business suit to me. But I'm open to being wrong about this. I'd be interested in anyone else's view. Should a navy business suit be dark navy? How much wiggle room is there?

Thanks in advance.

The suit is here:
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/canali-...=0&fashionColor=&resultback=430.9090815693881

and here is an image:
    [​IMG]

15. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Looks untraditional to me too.

16. dragos25

dragos25 Senior member

It is a bit lighter than say, midnight blue or very dark navy, and also,to my eye,has a bit of a greenish tint, but as far as shade goes, IMO it is appropiate for business. This may depend on how conservative your field of work is.The jacket is a bit short tho and the suit does look a bit "untraditional"
    IMO, fit,quality and styling is more important than a difference of a shade.

1 person likes this.
  17. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Yeah, I think the shade depends on your line of work. Maybe not appropriate for wall street or a white collar law firm, but most professional dress offices should be accepting. I also find the length a bit strange, as I'm used to Canali running long.

18. PoorWalt

PoorWalt New Member

Gents,

I'm attending a wedding in Martha's Vineyard this weekend. My first trip to the island and I'm pretty excited about it. Last August while in Charleston, I was able to get a great light blue sport coat from Ben Silver on a pretty phenomenal sale (somewhere in the neighborhood of 80% off). I haven't had many occasions to wear it, so I was really hoping to this weekend. My question is, the wedding is at 2pm so this should surely be acceptable for the ceremony, correct? Would it be appropriate to wear deep into the night as well? The cocktail hour / reception starts immediately after the ceremony.

Thanks very much for your advice.

-Walt

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  19. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

Unless the invite specified a more formal dress code, I can't think of a place more appropriate for light colors and preppy wear than MV or Nantucket.

1 person likes this.
  20. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

I agree. Let the jacket be the show piece. Don't over dress it with other colours or patterns, keep it clean otherwise.

I always ask myself, what the people are like? You should know what their idea of a wedding is unless you really don't know anyone, and in that case you shouldn't be going. If they want it to be formal they should state it on the invitation. Wear it well.