1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. LRMD

LRMD Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm new here, just graduated medical school and want to be smarter about my choice of clothes. What is the downside to non-iron shirts? These seem to wrinkle less and I can steam them easilly. Does anyone here wear them? I have been using Brooks brothers slim fit non iron, but they don't fit perfectly. I have to get a tight neck fit to get the sizing ok, but there is still extra fabric at the waist. I am thinking of trying mtm shirts but I hate ironing. Are non iron shirts just shitty for some reason that I'm ignorant of? Are there good mtm non iron shirts? I hate ironing and I'm short on time often. What should I do?

Thank you

I know I am somewhat clueless...but I'll learn

2. dah328

dah328 Distinguished Member

Hi,

I'm new here, just graduated medical school and want to be smarter about my choice of clothes. What is the downside to non-iron shirts? These seem to wrinkle less and I can steam them easilly. Does anyone here wear them? I have been using Brooks brothers slim fit non iron, but they don't fit perfectly. I have to get a tight neck fit to get the sizing ok, but there is still extra fabric at the waist. I am thinking of trying mtm shirts but I hate ironing. Are non iron shirts just shitty for some reason that I'm ignorant of? Are there good mtm non iron shirts? I hate ironing and I'm short on time often. What should I do?

Thank you

There are tons of threads here on non-iron shirts including MTM non-iron shirts. The short answer to your question is that non-iron fabrics are generally made by either blending or coating cotton with some other substance that generally degrades certain desirable characteristics of cotton such as its breathability, softness, and/or durability. As such, you rarely find it on higher-end shirts.

3. jimmywan

jimmywan New Member

Do you think this sportcoat, with matching pants, suitable if I wear it with Jeans?
    [​IMG]

4. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior Member

Do shirt pleats serve any functional purpose? I have never owned a shirt without pleats and I am tempted to get a few as it makes ironing easier.

5. dah328

Do you think this sportcoat, with matching pants, suitable if I wear it with Jeans?
    It's a suit, not a sport coat with matching trousers. Whether the suit jacket is suitable for wear with jeans really depends on the context in which you want to wear it. E.g., if you're interviewing at a law firm, jeans are completely unacceptable. If you're just going out for dinner on the weekend, it's more a matter of taste and the image you want to portray. This forum, the "Men's Clothing" forum, is more for classic tailored clothing and few here are big fans of jeans with sport coats. The "Streetwear and Denim" forum has more proponents of that form of dress.

6. jimmywan

jimmywan New Member

It's a suit, not a sport coat with matching trousers.

Thanks... i'm rather new [​IMG] But the label says it is a sportcoat.

7. dah328

Do shirt pleats serve any functional purpose? I have never owned a shirt without pleats and I am tempted to get a few as it makes ironing easier.
    They give the shirt room to expand across the back. They are not necessary if your shirt fits properly or if you never do anything strenuous while wearing a shirt that is too small such that pleats are required.

8. dah328

Thanks... i'm rather new [​IMG] But the label says it is a sportcoat.
    That's cool. The label is wrong, though. If you use the google search function at the top of the forum page for "what makes a sport coat", you'll find plenty of information on the difference if you care to know.

9. jimmywan

jimmywan New Member

That's cool. The label is wrong, though. If you use the google search function at the top of the forum page for "what makes a sport coat", you'll find plenty of information on the difference if you care to know.

Thanks for the link. I think I am a fashion disaster. [​IMG]

By the way, the label comes from Esprit - even in e-shopping it says it is a sportcoat. I guess modern fashion are less distinguish between them and people like to break the rules a bit.

10. kgmessier

kgmessier Distinguished Member

Thanks for the link. I think I am a fashion disaster. [​IMG] By the way, the label comes from Esprit - even in e-shopping it says it is a sportcoat. I guess modern fashion are less distinguish between them and people like to break the rules a bit.
    Here's a good article about the differences between the two.

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Distinguished Member

Thanks for the link. I think I am a fashion disaster. [​IMG] By the way, the label comes from Esprit - even in e-shopping it says it is a sportcoat. I guess modern fashion are less distinguish between them and people like to break the rules a bit.
    If it comes with pants that are cut from the same fabric, it is a suit. Period. If it is sold with the pants, then the people there are morons who have no idea what they're talking about. If the coat and pants are sold separately, then it could be purchased and worn as a sportcoat and the pants could be purchased alone and worn as dress slacks. But if the coat and pants are made from the same fabric, it is not ever called anything other then a suit. Like you said, you're new at this. You're going to be wrong on a few things, keep in mind that a very large portion of members here fall into the expert category or close to it.

12. jimmywan

jimmywan New Member

If it comes with pants that are cut from the same fabric, it is a suit. Period. If it is sold with the pants, then the people there are morons who have no idea what they're talking about. If the coat and pants are sold separately, then it could be purchased and worn as a sportcoat and the pants could be purchased alone and worn as dress slacks.
    They are indeed sold separately... I bought the pants of the same fabric too. I try to dress down while out in the lounge, or on the casual day with jeans, or as a jacket night out in the chilly evening air. That's why I wonder if it is a full suit or a sportcoat which can be worn for more casual occasion. By the way, it is an Esprit design, as you know, they're of more trendy side. Sorry if this is an expert threat, but I don't want to go out like a disaster dresser. I think I should leave the thread now since I'm a non-expert.

13. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior Member

^ Ha, none are experts here. Welcome to the forum.

EZ

14. blahgspot

blahgspot Well-Known Member

Hi,

Thank you

There is more to this than "blending with another fabric." A major downside of non-iron shirts is that if they are 100% cotton, they are treated chemically with a substance that adheres to the fabric and prevents wrinkling. For example, variants of formaldehyde have been used to this effect. So, you have this potential health risk (this chemical I mention is a known carcinogen) especially considering you absorb chemicals through your skin.

On the other hand, non-iron shirts, even if 100% cotton, have a different feel to them than regular cotton. Something about them feels waxy to me, and not as luxurious as untreated cotton.

I recommend buying non non-iron, and spend an hour on the weekend ironing your shirts for the week. Turn it into a relaxing ritual. Think of it as instilling a military discipline in yourself!

15. daruma

daruma Senior Member

Can I use dress shirt quality egyptian cotton for tee shirts? I can ask my tailor to do so, but I don't know if it will work out.