• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
Hi!

I have ordered a test shirt from an italian MTM shirt maker, and I have some rumples on my chest.

Is it too slim on the chest area? Or is it my posture that makes the rumples? Maybe too small armhole? Any suggestions on alterations for my next shirt?

Anything would be appreciated.

Sincerely Max

It looks like something is pulling the shirt up in the chest area. Maybe the armholes are not quite right. It's not optimal, that's for sure. You look like a thin guy, but with that shirt we can see what look like man-boobs (even though they may not be). It's not hanging like it should.

Bungle

Reaction score
Hi guys, any solutions for the "ridge" on shoulders here? The shoulders just aren't sloping down smoothly like they should do.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm getting new tuxedo pants tailored and have worn them with sidetabs in the past. I'd like to wear suspenders now but am unsure whether side tabs are still warranted or whether its stylistically appropriate to wear tux pants both with sidetabs AND suspenders.

No one will see your side tabs under your cummerbund or vest anyway.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys, any solutions for the "ridge" on shoulders here? The shoulders just aren't sloping down smoothly like they should.

It also doesn't fit along the shoulders. Even from here we can see that there's a fold of material behind the neck. Don't buy it.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have ordered a test shirt from an italian MTM shirt maker, and I have some rumples on my chest. Is it too slim on the chest area? Or is it my posture that makes the rumples? Maybe too small armhole?

Way too tight in the chest. Maybe the armholes too. And next time you take a fit pic, tuck your shirt in.

Bungle

Reaction score

It also doesn't fit along the shoulders. Even from here we can see that there's a fold of material behind the neck. Don't buy it.
the fold behind the neck was what I was concerned about. I didn't realise that it also didn't fit the shoulders either. Should I assume that since it's the shoulders it isn't fixable? The jacket is part of a MTM 3 piece suit that I picked up yesterday. I tried it on before taking it but in my hastiness I didn't realise the shoulders weren't right. I'll email them pics showing the issue and see what can be done. Thank you for your help Becnal.

Edit: would I also be correct in saying the lapels are close together? The lapels and the collar seem quite snug.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll start -

The ridiculously tight suit - both jacket and pants.

The horrible "suit with no socks" look. (Made to look all the more stylish by the "scratching mosquito bite on my ankle" photograph.)

The shoes - which don't much appeal to me in the first place, especially with the suit in question - are particularly inappropriate for wearing without socks. Also, while it's hard to be 100% sure from the picture, they seem a few sizes too large for the model's foot. The right foot. The itchy one.

The suit pants are too short.

Okay, who wants to chime in with some more?

The yellow shirt. Worn with a suit. Nope, nope, nope.

Hi guys, any solutions for the "ridge" on shoulders here? The shoulders just aren't sloping down smoothly like they should do.

Looks like the collar needs to be lowered--looks like you have a roll of fabric behind the neck. A decent tailor should be able to fix.

It does look like the shoulders are a bit too wide for you, but hard to tell from that picture. Also, the lapels are super thin. Not great.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wasn't planning on getting my suit tailored to be so tight. My pants are not that short either.

Okay, my mistake. When you said that you were "trying to pull off this look," and then offered a picture of the "look," which included the tight suit jacket, and tight and short pants, I figured that was what you were shooting for.

I also want to wear socks, as I think it is classless to go to a wedding without them.
Okay, I didn't realize that, since you explicitly asked, "Is it ok to go to a wedding without socks...?" which suggested to me that you had not decided that going sockless to a wedding would be classless.

The main thing I was wondering about was shirt, tie, and socks as stated in the original post. I think a pale yellow will work, but not sure if a silver/grayish tie will work with my suit.
While I acknowledge that it's possible to wear a yellow shirt with a grey suit and have it look okay, it's not really a look that appeals to me all that much. I just think that so many other choices which are so much more obviously good, that going for a "reach" like yellow is more about proving that it can be pulled off, than anything else. You know, a fashion stunt. The most obvious - and probably superior - choice would be a pale blue shirt.

I might go with a tie that brings a little color into the mixture, just for contrast with the light grey suit and pale blue shirt. Yeah, a black and silver Maccesfield is more of a traditional wedding tie, but with that suit, it probably wouldn't be my choice. (Hey, it's okay to violate a traditional rule, so long as you do it knowingly, and for a valid reason.)

But you know what? It occurs to me that if you were to stick with the yellow shirt, with that suit, a solid black grenadine (or knit) tie might just look okay. It's not a shirt/tie combination I'd wear to a wedding, but I'm just saying, light grey suit, yellow shirt, and black tie, might not be all that bad a choice.

I'd also probably wear black shoes with that suit, before walnut shoes. (The people who insist that black shoes are never a good choice, are as foolish as the ones who insist that black shoes are always a good choice.)

Socks? Is this really a tough one? Heck, wear charcoal socks, or socks the color of your colorful tie, or red-blue-and-yellow argyles, or any of a hundred other choices.

Since you also asked about the pocket square... the one pictured isn't horrible, I guess, but it'd be easy to do better. Picking a pocket square isn't all that difficult. Find one in an appropriate texture, which ties in with a minor color in some other item of clothing (most often, a necktie) you're wearing, and it'll probably work. Otherwise, wear a white linen square with a colored border. Or something else, if you like. Choosing a pocket square isn't something for which extended analysis is really appropriate. Choose it mainly on instinct. If you don't have sufficient confidence in your instincts, fine, then just go with plain white, or don't wear a pocket square at all. (Similarly, people who spend inordinate amounts of time carefully folding, measuring, and positioning a pocket square, are just over-thinking the whole thing.)

Of course, what I'm describing is nothing at all like the look you indicated you wanted to pull off. Primarily because I think that look is terrible.

bklyndoc12

Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking for feedback on a bespoke suit I recently had made for me at Alan David Custom in NYC relating to the sleeves. It looks to me like there is some pulling in the sleeves up by the shoulder. Do you think the sleeve pitch/rotation is off and I there something I can do about it? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought this med/heavy weight overcoat by Christian Dior. It is a poly/cotton blend cloth andI like the color and length of the coat. i could wear the coat comfortably over my suits, which was my main motivation for the purchase. The only thing that I troubles me is the dropped shoulder seam on the coat. The shoulder seam is far further into the sleeve as part of the design and construction; as oppose to having a regular coat or SC that the seam ends on your natural shoulder point. What are you guy's thoughts? I need some inputs :)

Istawa

Reaction score
Looking for a brown leather messenger bag that will carry a 13'' macbook, a few notebooks. Any suggestions under 150$?

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Thoughts on the fit of this? Thinking of bringing the sleeves up a bit and taking some out below the pit and around the waist. Also, top button undone or buttoned? Took pics of both for ideas.

Last edited:

ellsbebc

Reaction score
Thoughts on the fit of this? Thinking of bringing the sleeves up a bit and taking some out below the pit and around the waist. Also, top button undone or buttoned? Took pics of both for ideas.

Looks good. Depending on your preferences, you can shorten the sleeve hems a 1/4". The jacket is designed as a 3R2, so button only the middle. As a side note, button your button down collar.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Thanks. I wore the button down under it for the photo only; I wouldn't leave the house with the collar looking like that :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics