1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Uniqlo? Tried on their chinos a few weeks ago, because I wanted something in a brick color, but it was too slim for me.

1 person likes this.
  2. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Thanks. Ordering Uniqlo and sizing up 1.

3. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

In case you didn't order yet there is a $15 off $125 coupon: MAYDAZE

I was there today to pick up some linen shirts. $20 each not bad.

1 person likes this.
  4. minthe

minthe Well-Known Member

Hi all!

obviously this is not quite the right sub forum ... but let's see: Does anybody know about MTO groups for women's cordovan shoes? Maybe there is a more female-frequented forum that I don't know about. Thanks!

Minthe

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Meermin, I think, works with both cordovan and women's shoes. At leas they used to. I doubt there is an ongoing MTO group for that, but if you wanted to start working to put one together, they'd be a good starting point (they have several female lasts)

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Rancourt can make a ladies shoe in shell, no need to GMTO - unless you're looking for some sort of shared experience.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  7. minthe

minthe Well-Known Member

^ Thank you! I've looked at Rancourt (and admired their options, unlined #8 Cordovan and neutral finish on the welt sounds pretty perfect) but as I understood they only offer moccasin style shoes and boots in women's sizes, not for example the handsome Blake boot. Life's hard...

8. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I think their hand sewn models absolutely kill the welted stuff. What's your shoe size? You might be able to get away with a narrow men's shoe. There's always the 1000 mile line. Not shell, but all sorts of nice cxl options.

9. minthe

minthe Well-Known Member

I would probably need a men's 5.5 (I'm women's 7.5 or 7). I'll try to find some manufacturers offering that size. I really do like to look of the 1000 miles ... but I'd like me some shell. Don't know if there will be ever a cure for my horse-hide-lust...

10. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Iirc the conversion from woman's to men's is only minus one size. In any case, I'm a 7.5 in dress shoes and it's a pain in the ass to find narrow widths that small. You should try carmina. They sell shell and women's models in calf.

11. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Two sizes.

C&J make women's shoes, and they work in shell. To my recollection, they have a flexible MTO pattern, but the upcharge is ~50%. You might try Leffot – there's a woman who works there who always has incredible shoes from some of the brands they carry.

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Probably best to ask the maker, but standard is indeed two sizes.

13. dragos25

dragos25 Senior member

I have flat feet and a low instep and I've found that most bluchers I try fit great-no heel slippage, snug but not tight on the toes, etc- except for the instep - when I lace up the shoe enough for my foot to be secure, the quarters come very close together and the leather at the top of the vamp bunches up. Unfortunately, where I live, there's no width or half sizes, and sizing down a full size hurts my toes. Is this caused by my low instep, or would I benefit from a half size down? Also, would a tongue pad alleviate this problem , or should I give up on bluchers and just stick to oxfords?

14. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Isn't St. Crispins from Romania? If you have the money, they can definitely set you up with narrow widths and half sizes. You could also try an insole, which will elevate your foot within the shoe.

15. dragos25

dragos25 Senior member

Funny that I never knew St. Crispins were made in Romania, or had even heard of the company before becoming interested in style, but that may be because they just don't retail in Romania. Anyway, they are definitely out of my price range.
    And I have tried insoles before, but they distort the fit, squeezing my toes and causing heel slippage and blisters from the heel counter.
    I just want to know if the excess material and puckering in the vamp is caused by a too big size or by my flat feet not being compatible with a high-instep blucher last.

16. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Wrong size or bad fit. Different cause, same outcome. You could try a half insole, like the superfeet brand offers. A tongue pad can take up extra room in the vamp area as well.

17. minthe

minthe Well-Known Member

Thank you, I'll check it out.

18. cbusguy

cbusguy Senior member

Has anyone heard of Gianni Davardi? It was a great looking suit and made in Italy (tag looked like Corneliani). I can't seem to find any information about the brand.

19. dragos25

dragos25 Senior member

Anyone know of other size systems for clothing? I sometimes find suits and coats marked as size 23/24/26 while thrifting and I can't find any info about this. All clothes I've found with this sizing were from Germany/had tags in german so I assume this may be a pre 1990 - East/West German system. From what I've seen a size 23 fits like an american 36 or 38 but I may be wrong.
    Has anyone seen or heard of this?

20. vafan13

vafan13 Active Member

Corneliani silk and linen at Saks outlet for $200, retail was supposedly $2k (hah) . Kind of ridiculous, but I have an urge to pull the trigger. Thoughts?

[​IMG]