1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

These have to do with the thickness of the spun cotton yarn used to weave the fabric for the shirt. One figure is for warp, the other for weft.

The first number in each figure states the size (thickness) of the yarn based on a length-to-mass ratio: 40 could mean 40 meters per gram (international system) or 40 hanks per lb. (English system). I'm afraid I don't know which system is being used here. Either way, the larger the number, the finer the yarn. The second number is for the ply—how many strands of yarn have been twisted together. 1 is single ply, meaning untwisted. 2 is two strands twisted together to form a thicker yarn.

So, 40/1 is a size 40 1-ply, 24/2 is a size 24 2-ply.

No fabric weight is inherently better. Rather, it depends on your goals for the fabric. Proper Cloth, for example, is advertising the heavier 40/1 x 24/2 material as thick, durable, and casual, appropriate for their oxford shirts. Whether you prefer that weight to a finer 40/1 x 40/1 for such a shirt is largely a matter of personal taste, though some materials are simply too light or heavy to be practical or desirable for a given application.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  2. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

has anyone purchased the Ben Nevis "knockoff" Baracuta G9 Harrington Jacket?

if so, thoughts (esp. on sizing)? thanks.

[​IMG]

3. dragos25

dragos25 Senior member

How versatile would a tan suede/calf longwing be?
    Something like this but lighter brown/walnut :
    [​IMG]
    Also, I want to get a pair of plain-toe brown bluchers but can't decide between suede and calf.
    Any thoughts? I plan to wear these casually, blazer and flannels at most and can't decide.

4. Sagan

Sagan Member

Looking for a couple shirts in shades of solid blue/grey that have nice fabric and not huge collars. Basically to wear under a blazer for dates. I have a few of these shirts by emile lafurie, but looking for something a step cheaper in price. Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  5. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

This sort of shoe is elegant, but not exactly subtle. The way you plan to wear them, they would likely be the distinguishing part of your outfit. This is not necessarily a bad thing; I do it all the time. (Heck, I'd wear those with jeans.) But, if you have one pair of remarkable shoes that you routinely wear with casual staples, you risk becoming "the guy with those shoes." So, yeah, you can dress up to them or not, in which sense they're versatile. But, you probably don't want to wear them three days a week. As one of at least two and preferably more pairs of dressier shoes in your rotation, they're great. Calf and suede are both lovely and versatile. You can treat both for water resistance, but I'd still opt for calf if I lived in, say, Seattle. Otherwise, what you buy next depends on what else you have in your wardrobe. If you're just starting to build your shoe wardrobe, I think most guys would start with calf and then add suede later. But, you're not obligated to be like most guys.

6. Konstantinos343

Konstantinos343 Well-Known Member

Hello, I recently signed up in the forum and wanted to ask how would you wear a vest. I don't know what it would fit with.

7. Notch

Notch Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quick question: I came across this guy on the internet and I really like his style. Does anybody know his name?
    [​IMG]

8. mimo

mimo Senior member

If I did I would not tell you: as a friend, I must do all I can to prevent your imitating that hideousness.

9. SartorialTaste

SartorialTaste Member

Hello fellow SF members,

I will attend a networking event on campus later in the afternoon. The dress code is business professional and I am planning to wear my charcoal suit. They would probably attach some sort of name tag to my suit, probably the sticker/ adhesive kind if not the clip-on or safety pin kind. Anyway I am kinda worried that these things will damage my suit. The charcoal suit is probably the same one I'd use in job interviews later. I would appreciate your inputs.

Regards,

-SartorialTaste

10. nmoore82

nmoore82 Senior member

^ If a name tag with the clip, attach to the breast pocket of the jacket.
    If a safety pin, maybe through the lapel hole if you'll be concerned of it damaging the suit.
    If a sticker, put it on your forehead (sorry, couldn't resist). In serious, sticker should be fine on the suit. Can always dab a sponge and clean if it does leave any kind of residue when peeling it off.

1 person likes this.
  11. SartorialTaste

SartorialTaste Member

Thank you nmoore82 for the solutions. You got some wicked humor there [​IMG].

12. Notch

Notch Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I don't wear manbags or girly loafers, nor a sportcoat to work, I actually like only how the trousers and cardigan match, all the rest I didn't pay attention to

Edit: that goes for all his pictures actually (I have some stored on my PC for inspiration). Some way or another, I like the way he is able to combine the 'basics' into a very nice outfit.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  13. mimo

mimo Senior member

Wearing a jacket to work is a good thing. Though choose one that isn't two sizes too small - the "schoolboy in last year's blazer" look is for nancy boys. As are sockless loafers, unless you're on or at least next to the beach.

But, alright then. I shouldn't have doubted you. :)

14. Berners15

Berners15 Senior member

Probably best under your shirt

15. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

How slim is 4'10 and 142 pounds? I'm 10 inches taller and 10 pounds lighter, and I'm not super slim.

16. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Senior member

Most people are going to tell you that you should wear a vest as part of a (matching) 3 piece suit or not at all.

17. Berners15

Berners15 Senior member

Oh that's what you meant by a vest - I see slang for a waistcoat - we would call that Chav speak in the UK. Chavezness has travelled the atlantic oh my Lord[​IMG]

18. Berners15

Berners15 Senior member

Under 6ft is considered quite short in the UK - often times we find that shorter people tend to cover up the height issue with things that distract the eye ie expensive clothes and fast cars, good looking women perhaps. I suppose that being short is never a problem unless you aren't too well off.

19. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

What are you talking about? The average height in the UK is 5'10:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height#Average_height_around_the_world

I'd consider one standard deviation above average to be far from "quite short".

20. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Any recommendations for olive chinos? Not looking to spend much ideally. $50 or below. Something that fits slim.

Last edited: May 15, 2015