1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

True. And Luxxotica uses its market dominance in ways which make even Walmart seem warm and fuzzy, by comparison. (Semi- :) , but only semi.)

Yet another reason why I'm glad I wear American Optical sunglasses (not part of the Luxxotica group). I figure if American Optical was good enough for pretty much all the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo era astronauts, they're good enough for me. Plus, I'm a bit of a cheapskate, and AO sunglasses cost less than Ray Bans.

Below: Astronauts Pete Conrad (3rd man to walk on the moon) and Gordon Cooper (one of the original Mercury 7 astronauts), wearing their AO sunglasses. Conrad and Cooper were the flight crew for the Gemini 5 mission.

[​IMG]

Below: Buzz Aldrin (2nd man to walk on moon), with his AO Pilots in his left hand, as he places them into a sleeve pocket.

[​IMG]

Below: Walt Cunningham wearing American Optical sunglasses on Apollo 7.

[​IMG]

2. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Senior member

Why do the skin tone/hair color rules go out the window when wearing a tux?

3. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Senior member

Speaking of non-Luxxotica sunglasses, does anyone have experience with Randolph Engineering aviators?

4. styleforumfan

Where can I buy decent suits with functional jacket cuff buttons without breaking the bank? What's the minimum I should expect to spend to have these? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  5. Arnobuyens

Arnobuyens Well-Known Member

Suitsupply, anywhere between 250-700 euros, don't know the prices in US

6. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Basically between $500 and $1000 USD.

You might also check Bonobos. I think they do half canvas construction on their stuff, and have some decent looks for good pricing. I've seen at least some of their jackets with functional button holes. Also, maybe Charles Tyrwhitt.

Another thing to consider is one of the more reputable online made to measure options out there. Most of them offer surgeon's cuffs, and their suits usually start at around $500.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  7. 12345Michael54321

Randolph Engineering aviators are excellent - essentially equivalent to American Optical aviators. They do cost about twice as much as A.O., however.

8. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

Yes. I love my aviators. Durable and good-looking.

9. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I've had both. RE may betwice the price of AO but they are more than twice the quality. My AO ones had slack joints and poor enamel, the RE ones seem much more robust and better built.

I have a pair of blue flash RE Concorde aviators if anyone is looking to buy - PM me!

10. 12345Michael54321

I've worn both, at various times over the past 20 years. I've found both to be of excellent optical quality, excellent "mechanical" quality, and very similar in terms of style, comfort, etc.

But I believe you when you claim that your AO's were disappointing. I can't say that this has been my experience, but quality control is never a 100% thing, and maybe you just got the freakishly rare bad example. Like the Toyota Camry which was less reliable than the vintage Jaguar, or the quartz wristwatch which was only accurate to +/- 2 minutes per day.

You sure it was a genuine AO, though? And not a counterfeit item, purchased from some guy at a flea market in the Village, or from an eBay seller located in China? Just wondering, is all.

11. facet

facet Senior member

Any thoughts on what would be a good choice for a fourth sportcoat? My wife got me a giftcard to SuitSupply as Christmas gift so I was thinking of using it towards expanding my humble wardrobe. My collection currently is comprised of:
    1. Navy
    2. Grey herringbone
    3. Blue herringbone (cotton

I was thinking of getting something in brown (wasn't sure if I should get medium or light though). But then I read somewhere about green being a good choice as well. Anybody have any experience one way or the other?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  12. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Because the dress code only allows for black and white, so there are no choices to be made. It is formal wear, i.e. dressing to a prescribed form. Colour variation removes it from the realm of formal wear, hence it is, then, no longer a Tuxedo.

1 person likes this.
  13. greger

greger Senior member

About black and white tie.
    Black, grey and white are not colors being they are only shades from darkest to lightest. In other words they don't change a color, let's say green, into another color, only darken or lighten when adding. Adding blue, yellow, or especially red that is a whole different ball game.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  14. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

No grey for black, or white, tie. Not really sure what the point was there, but black/midnight, and white, are the only colours/shades that should be making an appearance.

15. greger

greger Senior member

Somebody asked about why black and white for after six and not color. Didn't notice my reply was a page or more late. Anyway, color and shades are different.

16. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Ah. That makes much more sense in context.

17. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

How old is this label? Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Can anyone suggest some MTO programs that will allow me to request a shoe that has a wide forefoot, wide midfoot and narrow heel cup in width? Will they also build/form a special insole/footbed for me? I have very little volume due to collapsed arches. My price range is under $1,000 and it would be best if I could visit the company/one of its stores to try on shoes/get measured by an expert.

Do any of the popular companies we SFers love to buy from(particularly Carmina) offer this? I will stray away from AE and Alden as I am beginning to enjoy sleeker looking shoes. I was never entirely sure if MTO was like MTM in suits in that you can attain a better fit.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  19. styleforumfan

What are the skin tone/hair color rules for menswear?