1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. 997CTSurg

997CTSurg Senior member

My alterations are more along the high level plumbing type

2. circumspice

circumspice Senior member

Yes, I bought a pair of Carmina from them with no issues - they have a good collection of Simpson lasted models. They took a bit of time to get here as the German post seemed to have a hiccup in getting things into NYC

3. noobedloser

noobedloser Senior member

Whats the brand of the sf member that made his own all-natural shoe cream and has a water-resistant one too? I wanna buy some

4. level1hero

level1hero New Member

Hello, newbie here but have lurked here for a while. I'm planning on attending a nice dinner (birthday celebration) with a couple of friends at this place that requires a suit or sports coat for men. Now, outside of weddings my friends and I don't get to wear suits or tuxedos often, so this seemed like a good time to go out and wear something different for fun's sake. I don't own a lot of formal or semi-formal wear, and don't intend on going out and buying too much stuff just for this, so I'm hoping to make do with what I've got.

My questions for you all:

Question 1: Black three-piece suit for dinner?
    I know this is uncommon nowadays, but would a three-piece suit (black, with very subtle stripes) be odd to wear to a restaurant? I know black is not the favored color of this forum, but sadly the only other suit I have is a navy one that no longer fits very comfortably. The black one is one I bought just two years ago and still fits quite well to my figure (which is on the slimmer side), and I plan to wear it with a nice white shirt (not a tuxedo shirt).

Question 2: Which tie?
    Bow tie: I only have two of these, but don't worry, neither of them are black. One that is darker grey in dotted pattern (more classy), or another checkered one that is purple/white/grey that is quite loud and screams "happy new year!" I was planning on going with the darker grey one out of these two, but wonder if this is breaking some sort of fashion faux pas. There are plenty of photos online with a dark grey suit donning on black tie, but not many in the reverse.

Regular tie: I have a black skinny tie and some other ridiculous ones that fall into the "why-did-I-think-it-was-a-good-idea-to-buy-this-shiny-turquois-color-tie" category. Black skinny tie is really the only one I would consider wearing, but that seems so boring. Plus, I may look like one of the waiters since I believe that's what they will be wearing ;)

Again this is just for fun at a nice jacket-required dinner, not black tie or anything actually formal. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

5. Slh

Slh Senior member

can somebody suggest affordable european sites where you can find a good selection of trousers ( wool, cotton, linen, tropical wool)? The budget in the range of 150€. Thank you.

6. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

Howard Yount, Epaulet, Incotex (sale or eBay)

7. Slh

Slh Senior member

Hi
    as far as I know howard yount and epaulet are american sites. I like both but I would like something based in europe in order to avoid the custom duties. Also with the €/$ at almost 1/1 shopping in american sites is not that convenient anymore for us europeans.

8. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Search the marketplace here.

9. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I got these from luxire to be beaters. Thoughts? It's far from perfect and too long/needs belt but I was thinking maybe they're adequate. I usually go no break and quite slim and wanted a fuller pair with full break to try different cuts, so I'm not sure if this works or not, as it's not something I go for very much.

[​IMG]

10. justridiculous

X-Post from Sales Thread:

Can anyone speak to the quality of Hertling pants? I see a few that I like, but I haven't heard anything about them.

11. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

12. bradp

bradp Senior member

Pretty sure Hertling makes Epaulet and Howard Yount trousers. Fan favorites around here.

13. justridiculous

That's great to know. Thank you!

14. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

I have a pair from Luxire of the same fabric in a similar cut - single forward pleated with full legs, 10" leg openings, 2" cuffs. The full cut makes them super duper comfortable, and the weight of the fabric makes for incredibly straight and clean lines when pressed. Mine have been an absolute workhorse these past two winters, I've probably worn them at least 75 times and they still have plenty of wear left in them. Good value for money.

My two cents from my pair:
    - Keep the length they are, it keeps the cuff resting on top of your shoes when you walk and helps keep the cold out. With the full cut, you also get a nice amount of air circulation which prevents your legs from getting sweaty. With a belt they should already be the proper length for this.
    - Don't bother tapering them. Full cut is very underrated, and the mobility and cleaner lines it offers versus a tapered cut work well with this fabric and your chosen designation of beater pants. I'm not sure if a tailor would even want to work with fabric that heavy.
    - Give them a good pressing after every 5-10 wears. Spray tons of water on the creases.
    - The fabric pills after a while, but it's still presentable. Brush them with a lint catcher brush or iron down the pilling, your choice.

1 person likes this.
  15. MMcCarty15

MMcCarty15 New Member

I'm looking to find a quality pair of wingtips that I can wear with jeans, chinos, or a suit if needed. I'm not looking to spend AE money, but would like something like the AE McCallister Wingtips. Does anyone have suggestions on a good quality pair of tan/light brown wingtips for $200 or less? Yes I know $200 is tough to find a high quality shoe, but there has to be something that is a good place to start that isn't a glued sole.

16. hbb3rd

hbb3rd Active Member

In Italian Suiting, the drop refers to the jacket waist measurement, different than in the US. The Italian Drop system goes from 0 (portly) to 8 (slim). As the drop number gets higher/ skinnier, the armhole also gets higher/ smaller making for a trimmer sleeve pipe. This is why Italian cut suits give the wearer a trim silhouette, even if you are a larger gentleman. Its built into the cut of the suit, and can actually make them look a lot trimmer than they actually are.

The Italian drop system is a really nice feature, since the waist measurement is completely separate from the chest, you don't have to bump up to the next chest size just because the fit doesnt work in the torso. This happens all the time in standard US boxy cut suits, if the torso is too tight they try to move you up a whole chest size to accomodate, which is why you see all tehse guys walking around with oversized linebacker shoulders on their jackets.

Hope this helps, and doesnt confuse the issue!

17. hbb3rd

hbb3rd Active Member

Aldo might be a good place to start looking, but their quality can vary. Maybe look into a nice Bostonian shoe? They are well made and not too terribly expensive.

18. hbb3rd

hbb3rd Active Member

Aldo might be a good place to start looking, but their quality can vary. Maybe look into a nice Bostonian shoe? They are well made and not too terribly expensive.

19. hbb3rd

hbb3rd Active Member

20. hbb3rd

hbb3rd Active Member

In Italian Suiting, the drop refers to the jacket waist measurement, different than in the US. The Italian Drop system goes from 0 (portly) to 8 (slim). As the drop number gets higher/ skinnier, the armhole also gets higher/ smaller making for a trimmer sleeve pipe. This is why Italian cut suits give the wearer a trim silhouette, even if you are a larger gentleman. Its built into the cut of the suit, and can actually make them look a lot trimmer than they actually are.

The Italian drop system is a really nice feature, since the waist measurement is completely separate from the chest, you don't have to bump up to the next chest size just because the fit doesnt work in the torso. This happens all the time in standard US boxy cut suits, if the torso is too tight they try to move you up a whole chest size to accomodate, which is why you see all tehse guys walking around with oversized linebacker shoulders on their jackets.

Hope this helps, and doesnt confuse the issue!