1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Soooo many choices. In short, yes those both would be fine. There are also a lot of different options available.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

A nice pair of penny loafers would be my suggestion, yup.

'Course, lots of people just have a hate on for penny loafers. But assuming you don't - and since you mention them as a possibility, I'm guessing you're pretty much okay with them - that'd definitely be one solid way to go.

I don't hate suede, but suede shoes, generally speaking, tend to be less versatile (in various ways) than leather shoes.

[​IMG]

3. Slh

Slh Senior member

yes i think the penny loafer would be a nice option. I was thinking about medium/dark brown.
    Also better with leather soles than rubber soles, correct?

4. Caustic Man

Leather soles are usually replaceable. The advantage is that you can choose to get them resoled when they wear out and, theoretically, they last longer. Some manufacturers will also give you the option of having rubber sewn to the leather soles for more tractions and protection.

5. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Go with chukkas imo.

6. mosy

mosy Senior member

are there shoe trees that are better for low profile shoes (see this an example:
    [​IMG]
    I find that the allen edmonds trees are too full and end up changing the shape of the profile. any ideas?

7. 12345Michael54321

Also, since he's talking about penny loafers, it's worth keeping in mind that penny loafers are somewhat informal shoes to begin with. And rubber soles - as opposed to leather - tend to reduce formality even more. Which could, perhaps, leave them a little too informal for the aforementioned jacket and tie and smart trousers.

Plus, penny loafers have leather soles. I mean, rubber soled penny loafers? That's like a tuxedo with suede patches one the elbows. (And nobody be a smart buttocks and offer up a picture of some pop culture icon wearing a tuxedo with suede patches on the elbows.)

8. 12345Michael54321

You fit a human foot into those shoes? :)

(Then again, I wear size 13EE shoes. Sleek and low profile only when compared to Sasquatch's footwear.)

9. Caustic Man

A reduction in formality is not the concern. Plenty of cheap oxfords come with rubber soles. The concern is durability. Rubber soles are usually glued on rather than welted, they leave scuff marks, and they look back IMO. Rubber panels sewn on to leather soles are a different matter entirely. They are for purposes of protection and traction only.

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Penny loafers are just so "standard" IMO. To me, they are for college kids.
    If you are a college kid, then it will work.

11. Caustic Man

You suck! lol Love my loafers.

12. mosy

mosy Senior member

lol!
    but seriously, there have to be shoe trees that are lower profile than standard, no?

13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

You a sophomore or junior?
    :eh:

14. Caustic Man

Booooo!

15. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

I'm in Canada, but I haven't many if any college students wearing penny loafers.

I think a chukka boot in suede or brown would fit all of Slh's criteria

16. Caustic Man

I'm kind of a DIY guy, not sure if you are or not, but my first thought is that you can sand down your shoe trees to make them fit. Seems like it would be an easy proposition.

17. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I'm not saying that penny loafers are bad. I'm just saying that they are SO standard with chinos and a casual shirt. That is the "basic/standard" uniform worn Worldwide. The OP could do much better. If a loafer is just 1 option in his closet, ok. But it should not beTHE option IMO.

18. Caustic Man

What's wrong with standard?

19. mosy

mosy Senior member

im not really a DIY guy - wish i was. if i have no choice maybe i'll take your idea. but I definitely would prefer to buy a lower profile tree to begin with. are the woodlore or the hanger project trees lower profile than the allen edmonds universal tree?

20. Caustic Man

I have some Hanger Project Epic Shoe Trees and they are higher profile if anything. Don't know about the others.