1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mosy

mosy Senior member

I hear your point about being in a ups warehouse or on my porch. Buy I wonder of they ever sit in freezing temps for that long a time, to the point where the leather is frozen solid. The most a package sits on my porch is 6-8 hours, not 24!
    But I guess you're right, it's not the end of the world. I'll let them thaw before I wear them ...

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Kewl. Thoughts on the boots?

They're goodyear welted if that makes a difference. Price is about 150 and I'm kinda considering it.

3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Mind posting the maker? For what it's worth I kinda like em. The styling might be a little clunky but I'd probably wear em.

4. ridethecliche

They're cole haans. Some of their newer stuff is awful, but these are relatively nice.

They're more of a chinos/jeans kinda boot. I'm not sure how I feel about the perfs without the cap though...Rue la la has them on sale and I'd contemplated buying them a while ago and they're 100-150 cheaper now in my size.

5. Caustic Man

Hmmm, I don't know about that one. I have had one pair of Cole Haans a while back and wasn't impressed with them even in my n00bery. On the other hand, it's possible that these are decent.

6. Caustic Man

I have an idea. What size are you?

7. ridethecliche

8E/8.5D. depends on last/instep/lacing.

I've tried these CH's in person and they're okay. Certainly better options out there, but at what price. I'll be in london late next month. I'm trying to sell off a few things I don't use anymore to put together some money to buy a couple of pairs of solid shoes, so that might be an option as well depending on how much stuff I end up selling. I have some money from my tax return, but feel like I should put what's left after that trip into some funding for some summer shenanigans.

Oh the life of a student :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  8. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Where can I find a passport holder similar to this one?

[​IMG]

9. Caustic Man

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk

Might try this place. Search by your size (mind the UK conversion). There are some on there for around 150 and most would be better than Cole Haan.

10. tdjones

tdjones New Member

I've done a lot of suit shopping lately and research on suits. I first went to Jos A B, Men's Wear House, Macy's, J Crew Factory, and Banana Republic factory. I found nothing I liked. I then decided to try a suit place in downtown Provo, Ut area called Perfectly Suited, By Garth. This place specializes in custom fitted suits. Though the suits are $800 and up. So I looked at what he had on the rack and the brand I liked the most was Mattarazi Uomo. However I had never heard of this brand and I wanted to research before I paid $550 + tailoring fees for the suit. I feel like because Garth has been in Provo for 20 years he must know a thing or two about suits. So I searched all over the internet to find this brand. I finally found a place that will sell me the suit for 399$. A place called wizard of aahs. After doing research on this place I found that it's ran by the son in law of the ebay powerseller wizard of aahs, a man named Jeff who used to post on AAAC.

I have been told by the employee at Garth's that the suit is full canvas and an Italian cut. I also called the number on the Mattarazi site and they assured me of the same thing. They asked me where I found their suit and said Utah. To which the responded that Garth and Jordan(salesmen at perfectly suited) are on of their suppliers. The man on the phone even had an accent. I doubt it was made in Italy but that's okay. I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with this suit? Is it really worth $399? Also got in contact with the current owner of wizard of aahs to ask him about the suit and he said he offers the exact same suit as Garth's. He asked how much it cost and was surprised when I told him $550. It felt a lot better than all the suits I wore at all those cheap discount suit places. However $400 is a lot of money if the suit is not what it is advertised to be.

11. upcoming

upcoming Well-Known Member

I always have to wear something with a shirt whether it be blazer, sports coat, cardigan or whatever.

My question is what do you wear with a shirt when the weather is really hot?

Thanks in advance

12. TimothyShaw

TimothyShaw Member

How do I determine where my natural waistline is? And once I know, how do I select different cuts of trousers based on my waistline?
    Forgive me if this makes no sense.

13. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Fellas,
    I just received a pair of Alden's. I was inspecting them and found something disturbing. Is this grounds for an exchange? Definitely never have seen this before. I was so disappointed too cause I waited for the MA storm to die down :[ THe welt on the other shoe is uneven near where the heel connects to the sole(I forgot what this is called)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  14. ElijahShine

ElijahShine New Member

Hey everyone! I recently started dressing up again, and went to a local Salvation Army/Goodwill last night, to try and see if I could find anything! Found a nice pair of shoes, double breasted blazer, and a new belt. I was just wondering how this outfit looked?[​IMG]

15. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

Which of the following two shoes look better from a more "classic menswear" perspective?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

Thoughts on wearing a 3.5" tie with a suit jacket with 2.5" lapels?

17. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

It could look okay. Or not. While lapel width is one factor in determining which tie width to wear, it's certainly not the only factor.

18. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

My place of employment requires all customer-facing employees to wear something green every Friday (due to the branding of the company). What's the most appropriate way to incorporate green into a moderately conservative business environment in the hot and humid south? I've got a couple of green ties, but I'm not really happy with how they look with either medium gray or navy suits.

19. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Here in California I'd say just roll a joint and stick it behind your ear, but that might not fly. How about a clover in your lapel? It's almost March! Seriously though, some kind of small lapel button/accessory would probably work.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

Thanks for your input. Actually, the company does provide a small magnetized lapel emblem that I wear, but this is supposed to be in addition to that emblem.

Maybe I'll throw some green laces in my shoes...