1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

Yoox and Sierra Trading Post are both great places to find awesome deals, but you have to either know what you're looking for or be willing to dig. Does anyone have tips for navigating these sites? Are there specific brands you look for when you visit them? Do you know of other sites like them?

2. Slh

Slh Senior member

I live in a city where the summer is very hot and the winter mild. You never feel cold.
    I was wondering if it is appropriate to wear a hopsack jacket in winter. I would have an overcoat anyway.
    Inappropriate like wearing linen in winter or the hopsack is more all season.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  3. upcoming

upcoming Well-Known Member

What do you think to the fit of this shirt?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I would possibly get the waist and sleeves tapered.

5. upcoming

Thanks for that how bad is the fit generally?

6. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

It's acceptable. It's certainly not as snug-fitting as some prefer and as current fashion tends to favor, but since I dislike the trend for what I regard as excessively close-fitting clothes, I won't criticize the fit of your shirt.

Your belt, however, is a little too long.

7. upcoming

Thanks for your response. How would you rate the shirt out of 10? The reason why I ask is because I need a good few shirts for work and I don't want to look like a slob. I've had loads of people say I should buy TM Lewin Super Fitted shirts as I'm very skinny but the problem is you can only order them online and I prefer to try on shirts. If you think that the fit of this shirt is good then I'll buy a few more.

Just out of curiosity why do you dislike excessively close fitting clothes (I do too that's because I'm skiny!)

8. 12345Michael54321

Look, there's a lot of inherent subjectivity in judging the fit of a shirt. Someone who likes the fit of your shirt might tell you he'd give it a 9. The next guy could prefer a closer, more tapered shirt fit, and tell you your shirt's fit only merits a 3. Which is one reason why dressing by popular opinion - and the popular opinion of a group of online clothing forum members, no less - is a mistake you should try to avoid.

The real question is, how would you rate the shirt out of 10?

If you lack the experience to confidently judge this for yourself, well, keep reading and looking and thinking, and before long you will have enough experience to confidently say, "I like this look; it works for me.;" or "I dislike this look; it's wrong for me for the following reasons..."

I don't know where you work. Heck, I don't even know in which hemisphere you work. But at least in the current day United States, simply wearing a shirt with buttons up the front, which isn't dirty or hopelessly wrinkled, which is of reasonable color, and if we're really setting the bar high, the collar button of which could be buttoned without either choking you or leaving a gap between neck and collar large enough for you to comfortably insert your fist, will usually leave you one of the better dressed men at your place of work.

No, not always. A few places of business are exceptions. But usually.

So don't worry too much about your shirt making you look like a slob.

Yeah, it's seldom difficult finding loads of people willing to tell one what to do. Sometimes they're right, and it's worth following their advice. Sometimes not.

Why give me such power over the decision-making process?

I think the fit of your shirt is acceptable. With a trip to your local alterations tailor, it could probably be tweaked a bit, and be better than acceptable.

But your biases and preferences with regard to fit needn't mirror mine.

Stop being lazy and letting other people decide for you. Educate yourself on proper shirt fit, and decide for yourself if the shirt's fit pleases you.

In part, it has to do with the standards, guidelines, and norms of fit to which I was exposed when I was young, many years ago. With how my father (and other male role models, from my formative years) dressed. With the fact that I'm a large man, and traditionally depicting a large man in overly tight clothing was done to make him appear to be ignorant or undisciplined or thuggish or a clown (whereas more appropriately tailored clothing could leave even such obese men as Sydney Greenstreet or Sebastian Cabot looking intelligent and cultured) . With the fact that I just can't bring myself to accept Pee Wee Herman, circa 1989, as a sartorial role model.

4 people like this.
  9. martinhany

martinhany New Member

I purchased a dark navy suit and a white Shirt for a prom. I want to wear a black tie so i can i wear a brown shoes with it or a black shoes?

10. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Brown shoes are fine, just make sure you wear a brown belt with them. [​IMG]

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

If I buy shoes in the UK, do I get the VAT refunded if I have a US passport? Or is there no VAT there. I know buying from meermin and carmina etc has this fee waived in the US but curious!

Side note: What are people's thought on this boot shape etc.

[​IMG]

12. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

You'll have to ask for a VAT receeipt and get the refund at customs at the airrport.

13. th6252

th6252 Active Member

14. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

15. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I don't like wearing black and navy together in general, but if you insist on wearing a black tie, I would go with the black shoes and belt.

16. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

FYI, personal preference aside (I don't always like it either), black tie/navy suit is a classic combination.

17. th6252

th6252 Active Member

Thanks for the help!

18. mosy

mosy Senior member

I just realized that I left a favorite pair of shoes in the car overnight (about 24 hrs) in sub freezing temperatures. Is this really bad? If so, any corrective measures?

19. 12345Michael54321

Your shoes are fine. What, you think that if a pair of shoes is delivered via UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc., that they might not wind up spending considerable time in a non-climate controlled depot or other facility, or in the back of a truck, or on your front porch, in freezing weather? For that matter, I've been known to wear shoes while outside in freezing cold weather.

They're shoes, not baby chicks. (Yeah, I dig that episode of "I Love Lucy.") They're not as delicate as you might think.

20. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Somehow I would think extreme heat would be much more damaging than extreme cold.