• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try a semi-spread collar. You may end up experimenting from there if you do MTM shirting but semi-spread is a good starting point.

You're in DC... do you have a govt. job? White or light blue shirts only would make a lot of sense.

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Try a semi-spread collar. You may end up experimenting from there if you do MTM shirting but semi-spread is a good starting point.

You're in DC... do you have a govt. job? White or light blue shirts only would make a lot of sense.
Yes, I'll start experimenting with different shirts.
I am like...in the center of the Capitol Hill in DC, so I don't know if I can wear fancy colored and patterned shirts.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, man. I'd just play it safe at work if doing otherwise will make you stick out like a sore thumb. Not worth the BS that can happen sometimes.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a 38S. What makes you ask?

Thanks for the detailed reply, I really appreciate it. I've been trying to find a navy one for a while now, but its been eluding me...that probably contributed to impulsively buying this jacket :p
Just wondering. What's your budget? Maybe we can find you a jacket somewhere.

I bought a jacket at the Rack for $600 one time. Returned it and got a different one online that fit much much much better, for cheaper. Now I have two. Soon three. All cheaper than the rack. And better.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Constructive criticism is welcomed...Mimo or Michael.
....I am gonna get crucified ...$#!T

Boring but tasteful. Blue tie, blue suit, a blue shirt might actually be a bit much. But I'd still rather see one, with a burgundy or brown tie perhaps. And a more spread collar, maybe. However, SF pettiness aside, you look put together and professional. Be happy.

Hi all, this is my first post after tons of lurking trying to get myself educated - this forum has been a huge help!

All of the comments so far make sense. Also, the shape is weird; it looks like it's been shortened; something is wrong with the proportions. Presumably why it's no longer living with its accompanying trousers. Find a suit. That fits. And don't worry too much about the label.

I had a question go totally unanswered because people were talking about using talcum powder on the inside of a shoe to make it stop squeaking,

If that makes you feel any better... haha

What was the question?

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boring but tasteful. Blue tie, blue suit, a blue shirt might actually be a bit much. But I'd still rather see one, with a burgundy or brown tie perhaps. And a more spread collar, maybe. However, SF pettiness aside, you look put together and professional. Be happy.

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I made the cut?! Did I? Oh I am so happy! Tears are dripping down my face as I read your feedback.
Okay, all jokes aside, yes I intentionally kept it "conservative." I will retry with a pale blue shirt. I am definitely getting a burgundy next time I go shopping.

EDIT: I misread and skipped the words, "a blue shirt might actually be a bit much."

Last edited:

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLUE!BLUE!BLUE!BLUE!BLUE!BLUE!BLUE!BLUE!BLUE!BLUE!BLUE!

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What was the question?

A pretty boring one that I think I've mostly managed to answer myself, but it was centered around asking what types of pants should be worn with a linen jacket because I'm getting a navy one and also a patterned one for the hot weather.

I was wondering if linen on linen, and not as a suit, would be too much.

I've gotten so used to the idea of always trying to make sure the sports coat is darker than the pants that I'm having a hard time looking at light colored summer jackets and thinking up ways to pair them.

FitIs

Reaction score

I bought a jacket at the Rack for $600 one time. Returned it and got a different one online that fit much much much better, for cheaper. Now I have two. Soon three. All cheaper than the rack. And better.

Somewhere between 200-400 for the blazer. For suits, 300-500 or so. I have a charcoal Joseph Abboud that I bought when I had even less knowledge, also from the Rack. I'll take some pics of it and put them here to get some feedback on the fit.

I like the Rack since its close to my budget and easy to get to, but I'm very open to trying other places. I was thinking of heading to some factory/outlet stores (I live close to LA) to get some more essentials. Also waiting on Nordstrom's july sale and keeping my eyes open for others like Nieman Marcus last call. There's just so much to learn at once!

All of the comments so far make sense. Also, the shape is weird; it looks like it's been shortened; something is wrong with the proportions. Presumably why it's no longer living with its accompanying trousers. Find a suit. That fits. And don't worry too much about the label.

That makes sense. I'll keep looking - I'm doing my best to get properly fitted stuff!

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhere between 200-400 for the blazer. For suits, 300-500 or so. I have a charcoal Joseph Abboud that I bought when I had even less knowledge, also from the Rack. I'll take some pics of it and put them here to get some feedback on the fit.

I like the Rack since its close to my budget and easy to get to, but I'm very open to trying other places. I was thinking of heading to some factory/outlet stores (I live close to LA) to get some more essentials. Also waiting on Nordstrom's july sale and keeping my eyes open for others like Nieman Marcus last call. There's just so much to learn at once!

That makes sense. I'll keep looking - I'm doing my best to get properly fitted stuff!
Mino pointed out why I asked the size. It looked like a 44S or something, probably because it was shortened.

http://us.suitsupply.com/jackets/ja...tart=12&cgid=Jackets&prefn1=color&prefv1=Blue

This may be a good first buy. It's got patch pockets (which I love) if you like them. They sell your size and you can return it, so if it doesn't fit, there's no skin off your back. I believe return shipping is free.

Don't get peak lapels. Not for your only jacket.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mino pointed out why I asked the size. It looked like a 44S or something, probably because it was shortened.

http://us.suitsupply.com/jackets/ja...tart=12&cgid=Jackets&prefn1=color&prefv1=Blue

This may be a good first buy. It's got patch pockets (which I love) if you like them. They sell your size and you can return it, so if it doesn't fit, there's no skin off your back. I believe return shipping is free.

But befre you order, are you sure about your jacket size? you may want to post a fit pic in that jacket and some people can tell you if you should size up or down.

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I second this. Willing to help you look if you want. (You should also heavily consider returning that thing)

Edit: I was going to recommend Suit Supply too!

Last edited:

FitIs

Reaction score

That looks perfect for what I'm looking for. Once I know I have my measurements down I'll spring for it. I'll hold off on peak lapels until this stuff has become second nature to me.

But befre you order, are you sure about your jacket size? you may want to post a fit pic in that jacket and some people can tell you if you should size up or down.

I am most definitely NOT sure, lol. Still trying to figure it all out. I hope this pic helps clear things up.

I second this. Willing to help you look if you want. (You should also heavily consider returning that thing)

Edit: I was going to recommend Suit Supply too!

Will be returning it very soon.

I hope this pic is OK in this thread - I know theres a fit thread all by itself, so I can post it there instead if need be.

The suit is a Joseph Abboud I bought a long time ago, from the Rack. Lots and lots of creasing. Lower back and arms especially. I think it's too small -- maybe I should lose 5-10lbs? The only tailoring I did was shortening the sleeves and the pants (how'd I do on that part? Actually, is any part of the suit fitted properly at all? ).

The jacket on the right was Tommy Hilfiger. No tailoring.

Both suits are the same size.

Still new to all this, please forgive! All comments 110% appreciated and much needed.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads