1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. DrizztD

DrizztD Well-Known Member

Good point!

Though, does it come in diminishing returns?

Looking at my outfit, my watch is good enough, my shoes will eventually be EG or GG.

Is there really a huge difference if i went to an expensive (or more well known) tailor?

Does it come to a price point where we're paying for the brand name?

2. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I think just make sure it fits well and craftsmanship is good, I wouldn't look to have known brands or tailors specifically. Make sure your belt is good and not gaudy, I suppose.

3. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

I'm selling my car, moving to London and need a laptop messenger.

My current laptop bag is a buttery soft brown leather backpack. But I'm about to move to rainy London for two years and it's not going to be suitable for the climate.

I want durable, water resistant, elegant, slim and anonymous, yet luxurious to the careful eye. Tumi is too bland. Saddleback is to butch. Coach is to fragile. Maybe Filson?

Somebody please help.

4. BostonHedonist

Brand names are for suckers. That being said, designer is generally better.

The two most important items in your outfit are your shoes and your wristwatch. Your watch should be Swiss (with some exceptions) and your shoes should be 100% high quality leather and traditionally welted. Edward Green Bespoke would most certainly set you apart if you went that route. But it all depends on your station in life, who you are surrounded by and what you want to project about yourself.

As for tailoring. If you're going custom, that's great. I have a tailor in Thailand that does many of my suits and shirts. With that, I focus mainly on fit and material quality. Natural fibers only. Nothing poly or elastine. I typically like to stick with more classic cuts but with some embellishments. I always do covered buttons, for example.

If all this sounds completely obvious to you, you're already ahead of most people. If that's not enough it starts to get very subjective.

Generally, I think less is more. If you stick to timeless design classics and allow yourself one or two embellishments - a tie bar, a pocket square, contrast stitching somewhere - I think you set yourself apart more beneficially than some fanboy who has to have the latest fashionable look. People like that just look like tools to most of us.

But really, so much depends on your stylistic ecosystem. It's tough to give advice with so little information.

When in doubt, just invest in having the nicest watch of all your friends.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  5. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

It doesn't make sense because you said the wedding will be casual, how casual we don't know, and you said you will be wearing a three piece suit to it.
    Sounds like you will be overdressed.

6. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

To be fair there's such thing as dressy casual. There isn't a straight line going from casual to formal, country and city.

That said if the asker isn't ready to listen to advice they probably shouldn't ask.

7. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Bingo!

8. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I live/work in NYC. That doesn't mean squat.
    I didn't say that I have an issue with the look. I said that to me, it looks incomplete.

9. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I actually wrote my comment knowing that you were from the area. Sorry I equated you thinking it looked incomplete with you having an issue with the look.

10. Churchill W

I like Waterfield for laptops. If you're looking for utility, I'm not sure if Filson is the way to go. You can find lighter and more functional from other brands. I would also look at Brenthaven Timbuk2u.

11. BostonHedonist

My thanks, I do like Waterfield from what I'm seeing so far. Timbuk2 though, what rubbish. Had one once. Not all they're cracked up to be.

12. Churchill W

With the Timbuk2u bags I have had I usually replaced them because I got tired of them and not because they broke down. Have not had a bad experience with them, but seems like you have.

13. BrooksLauren77

Perhaps, but granted we also haven't answered his question about the plate buckle.

I personally think they look start looking cheap in short order

14. BostonHedonist

I found that the construction lent itself to getting shabby looking long before the bag was no longer useful. The velcro bits would pull at the nylon and the materials were not really able to really take a punishing. They're just not bags that age well. It was several years ago that I owned one, however. I was in a much younger frame of mind. Nowadays, having velcro as a component would rule out just about any item as it is.

As you suggest, they are easy to get tired of. A timeless leather briefcase in brown or black I could see becoming as an old friend, trusty and broken in. A Timbuk2 bag is a commodity, reflective of your tastes at one point in time, to be discarded when you tire of it.

Not to get overly philosophical here...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  15. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

If we're talking about plaque belts, I think they look like something you'd see on an Express employee.

16. Churchill W

Agreed, which is why I am considering a Filson rucksack for more casual days. They only get better with age.

17. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

Bingo

18. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

What do you guys think of dressy-ish chambray shirts? I'm thinking worn with a cotton sportcoat.

19. BrooksLauren77

Hard to say without an example.