1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. upcoming

upcoming Well-Known Member

So it's a good fit, yes? And yes that's me my last email address got hacked - funny that as I work in cyber security haha! Thanks for your advice glad you approve of the v neck!

2. Seamless

Seamless Senior member

It looks fine. I think you're over thinking this. It's a sweater as long as it's not baggy or look like a packaged sausage, you'll be fine.

3. ChampDiesel

ChampDiesel New Member

What's the consensus on here on denim shirt and tie combos?
    [​IMG]

4. Spurious

Spurious Senior member

This looks ridiculous and you must be trollin'.

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Absolutely never. Denim shirts are very casual, ties are formal. That kind of mismatch is difficult to pull off even if you know what you're doing.

Also, ties should always be darker than the shirt. There are some exceptions, but they're incredibly rare, and that ain't one of them. A shirt that color, even if not denim, should not be worn with a tie that color.

On another note, vests that aren't part of a three piece suit make you look like a high schooler with no clue. If you are in high school or even college, it can be a somewhat hip look to your peers. It'll still look juvenile, but at least a juvenile look would be age appropriate. We certainly won't get into what I wore in high school. If you're ostensibly an adult, that's a look to be avoided.

6. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Senior member

Dress shoes with leather sole question. Are you supposed to go to the cobbler and put rubber on them from day 1 to preserve the original leather or you should wear them "as is"? If you wear them "as is", when should you take them to the cobbler for resole before it's too late?

7. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Some people do and some people don't.

Personally I don't see the point. It's time for a resole when you press the sole with your thumb in the centre and it visibly dimples or feels thin.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  8. SmithJoe

SmithJoe Member

I am very tall.. 6'4 and 210 pounds.. I would say athletic build and inseam of 36 .
    Here is my dilemma I am hoping to get some help from:
    I can not find a jean that is tapered down the leg.. Not a skinny jean
    Do any of you know any jeans that are comfortable through the top but tapered down?
    No price limit, do you guys have any tips about this maybe ideas about if I can get jeans taylored or know of any brands? I just hate having all that extra fabric at the bottom

9. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

An alterations tailor will slim any trouser down for you, including jeans.

However, there are loads of makers that make a slimmer jean or trouser. If you want a pair of jeans ask over in Streetwear.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  10. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

I'm also 6'4, but a bit bigger at about 250 lbs. I get all of my jeans and pants altered. The only jeans I found that fit me well without alterations are Jean Shop's "Slim Fit" jeans.

11. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

Pros and cons to both.

Leather sole:
    + More comfortable to walk on, more flexible
    + Less dirt tracked with you everywhere because of the smooth sole; you can actually just wipe off your shoe sole and walk straight into the house on non-rainy days (assuming full leather)
    + Leather soles last for ages in non-wet weather
    + Leather soles look awesome and gain character with use
    = Less traction (I actually like this, good for dancing)
    = Leather sole is porous and lets water into your shoes faster but is more breathable
    - Have to have the sole replaced, which is more expensive
    - Resoling depends entirely on the cobbler and always carries a small amount of risk
    - Wet leather soles wear out way faster, especially on asphalt and concrete.

Rubber on top of leather sole:
    + Preserves the leather sole in an undamaged state
    + No difference between Goodyear welting and Blake stitching, you can go for cheaper Blake stitching and get almost the exact same shoe
    + Cheaper, but more frequent replacing of the rubber.
    = More traction
    = Doesn't breathe as well as plain leather sole, but slightly better protected from water
    - Less comfortable to walk on because you're thickening the sole and stiffening it with another layer of material
    - Depending on type of rubber, more dirt is tracked with you into buildings and you make floors dirtier and there's nothing you can do about it
    - Glue used to stick on the rubber, which is not as good for the leather
    - Nobody can see your beautiful leather soles hidden underneath, and worn rubber doesn't look very nice

As for "when to take them in to the cobbler", it depends on how much wear you're comfortable with. If you're on a Goodyear welt, wait for one layer of the sole to almost wear through in any area (ball of the foot for some people, edges for others). If you want your dollar to stretch as far as possible, wait for holes to appear (but in any case do it before the welt gets damaged).

12. daleyb1993

daleyb1993 New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hi all,

I recently bought a burberry duffle coat off of ebay, I have received the item and am having doubts about the coats authenticity. Can anyone help me out here as I would like to know if it's fake or not before messaging the seller and asking for a refund.

Thanks,
    Dale

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  13. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I am absolutely not an expert, but this stitching looks suspect for a luxury brand.

[​IMG]

14. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

That really looks counterfeit, sorry!

15. daleyb1993

daleyb1993 New Member

Thank you for your replies. Anyone else got any input?

16. styleforumfan

The craftsmanship looks a little suspect.

17. styleforumfan

Which brand makes a better quality suit (MSRP ~$800): Hugo Boss or Hart Schaffner Marx?

18. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

It's a wash, but there are better options to be had at lower prices.

19. styleforumfan

What are the other options?

20. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Suitsupply and Benjamin Sartorial for a start.