• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

davidilka

Reaction score
Hi, I'm on a budget and a 21 year old college student.
What are some stylish but bargain stores like h&m, zara, and express.
Thanks.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone recommend a shirt in the $100-225 range?  I'm looking for something that's white; poplin, broadcloth, or pinpoint; medium spread or forward point collar; double-button barrel cuffs; and, if possible, 2x2 (I don't know whether that's an option at this price point).  Mother-of-pearl buttons would be a huge plus.  My neck size is 14.75-15", chest size 37-38".  Thanks.

Go MTM if you can afford up to $225 per shirt.

red81

Reaction score
can anyone recommend a belt to match allen edmonds black park avenues?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Red: A ************* one. Sheesh.

David: Try Streetwear & Denim - we don't do Zara on this side of the forum.

Rudals: you have a small shirt size and a large watch. What's complicated?! Take the advice: you can move your cuff buttons to make the cuff open wider. Alternatively, wear a watch with dress shirts that is more in proportion to the rest of you!

Edit: Rude, I've just taken the time to look up the dimensions of your watch: 43mm wide by 12mm deep. That's a very big watch. I take a size 18" collar, and I doubt it would fit easily under my cuffs either. A 45mm Planet Ocean or Panerai certainly doesn't. By the look of the watch on your writs, I'd guess you're several sizes smaller, and your cuff will be too. Get a dress watch, dude!

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
If you take them out of all of your shoes, and tie them together, you should have a ligature of a length sufficient to hang yourself. :)

Last edited:

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's rude. All I wanted was advice. But if I was to do so, what color should the home-made noose be?

smack.gif

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
It will be whatever colour your laces are. However, having knots at regular intervals as you inevitably will, makes it entirely unsuitable as a noose. I'm afraid you will have to manage a more painful and time-consuming asphyxiation that will require some proper effort.

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Red: A ************* one. Sheesh.

David: Try Streetwear & Denim - we don't do Zara on this side of the forum.

Rudals: you have a small shirt size and a large watch. What's complicated?! Take the advice: you can move your cuff buttons to make the cuff open wider. Alternatively, wear a watch with dress shirts that is more in proportion to the rest of you!

Edit: Rude, I've just taken the time to look up the dimensions of your watch: 43mm wide by 12mm deep. That's a very big watch. I take a size 18" collar, and I doubt it would fit easily under my cuffs either. A 45mm Planet Ocean or Panerai certainly doesn't. By the look of the watch on your writs, I'd guess you're several sizes smaller, and your cuff will be too. Get a dress watch, dude!
Dr Mimo, holy macaroni and cheese! You're good. It's 42mm. http://www.authenticwatches.com/tag-heuer-link-cjf211a-ba0594.html#.UbDv0OfjdRc
Wow, I never thought of my watch as a big watch. I am an idiot. Yes, I wear 15.5 shirts LOL. Guess I'll fatten up just so I can wear this watch...errrrr...just get a new watch.

theh00d

Reaction score
That's it's an architect/interior design firm/office isn't particularly relevant. Admittedly, there can be a significant amount of variation in terms of what's recommended for a core wardrobe of 2-3 neckties, but here are a few suggestions:

1. Navy tie. Either solid, or with small white dots. (Stripes, if you dislike solids and dots.)
2. Burgundy tie. Either solid, or with small white dots. (Stripes, if you dislike solids and dots.)
3. Either a small geometric print, in blue, red, dark green, or gold. Or a solid textured tie, in dark silver or light/medium grey.

Again, there can be lots of variation, but the above are some reasonable possibilities.
A solid navy grenadine would be fine, if that's what you like.
With further thought from your suggestion, I'm thinking.

1. Navy w/ White dots...something like this http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-silk-churchill-dot-necktie~149004_291.html
2. Burgundy Grenadine
3. Black silk knit

Would these work with a navy and charcoal/gray suit w/ white and blue shirts?
Thanks.

Last edited:

AmericanGent

Reaction score
I have the suit, not the exact one, but one that is very similar and I am now looking for a tie that is similar. Would this tie do???

Rudals: no, it's ******* horrible. Try something in burgundy for style, or navy for safety. And don't ever carry your HK like that; you'll either fire it accidentally or drop it - probably both, which will make you look a dick whatever tie you're wearing.

Damn you Mimo- you're always giving the exact same advise I would give, but with cleverly placed swears.

Rudals- burgundy is much easier to pull off. That ball point pen blue tie will give you problems with a blue pinstripe suit.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
1. I'd advise micro dots instead. I find polka dots a bit garish personally. Something frivolous about them that's not very "office".
2. Good stuff - versatile and delightful contrast with blue suit/shirt.
3. Drop the black. It's OK, but sucks the life out of your suit and skin tone. Swap in a deep green, or a brown or rust if you're braver.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you need to be brave for brown/rust. Those are excellent colors for a tie.

I was hunting all over for a black silk knit until I realized I was wasting time. I've got some knits that I want to basically get rid of. I didn't know about Grenadines when I was dropping money on the knits.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a more serious note..

I'm trying to build up my jackets and I've only got two right now. A linen houndstooth (blue) and a navy patch pocket blazer coming in tomorrow. Both Kent Wang as I have my fit dialed in. I was thinking another staple jacket would be some kind of brown. I didn't really want a non-patterned brown and not many of the decently priced suits at Kent Wang have a pattern I'd like (or at least, have the eye for yet, as I am quite stubborn). Something like another houndstooth or decently sized windowpane. If you have the time, do you see any patterns you would suggest for another staple blazer at Kent Wang?

eta for laziness:

http://www.kentwang.com/about/suits/

eta2:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8468/8079860522_9c05aa8a1f_o.jpg
TR7100. Eh? Or does that look too warm?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads