• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pocket square should not match anything. Doing so makes you look like you got a matching tie-PS set from Mens Wearhouse.

AmericanGent

Reaction score

theh00d

Reaction score
What should be my first 2-3 ties to be wore in an architect/interior design firm/office?
Looking at a navy grenadine and a black+navy silk knit tie. Would those be appropriate for the setting?

Most likely going to be wearing these with a spread collar shirt. Also, french cuff or barrel cuff? Thanks!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What should be my first 2-3 ties to be wore in an architect/interior design firm/office? Looking at a navy grenadine and a black+navy silk knit tie. Would those be appropriate for the setting? Most likely going to be wearing these with a spread collar shirt. Also, french cuff or barrel cuff? Thanks!
I would say a navy grenadine, black knit, and maybe a repp stripe tie with some navy and silver would be nice. I would go with barrel cuffs.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I would say you can't be black and blue all the time. I'd leave black out altogether perhaps. Burgundy, dark navy, dark brown, variety of textures if solid, and perhaps at least one with a small, neat, subtle pattern. And a safe white fold handkerchief offering a quarter-inch line over your breast pocket.

I'd also go barrel cuffs; you might find double cuffs awkward while working if you're not used to them, and if nobody else wears them and you're just starting out, you might seem to be trying too hard.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What should be my first 2-3 ties to be wore in an architect/interior design firm/office?

That's it's an architect/interior design firm/office isn't particularly relevant. Admittedly, there can be a significant amount of variation in terms of what's recommended for a core wardrobe of 2-3 neckties, but here are a few suggestions:

1. Navy tie. Either solid, or with small white dots. (Stripes, if you dislike solids and dots.)
2. Burgundy tie. Either solid, or with small white dots. (Stripes, if you dislike solids and dots.)
3. Either a small geometric print, in blue, red, dark green, or gold. Or a solid textured tie, in dark silver or light/medium grey.

Again, there can be lots of variation, but the above are some reasonable possibilities.

Looking at a navy grenadine and a black+navy silk knit tie.
A solid navy grenadine would be fine, if that's what you like.

A silk knit tie could be okay, although black and navy wouldn't be my first choice. Not that there's anything inherently awful about a black and navy silk knit tie, it simply wouldn't be in my top 2 or 3 picks. Particularly not if one of the other 1 or 2 ties were a navy grenadine.

Would those be appropriate for the setting?
The ones I mentioned would be appropriate in most settings where the wearing of a necktie is appropriate.

Most likely going to be wearing these with a spread collar shirt.
While I like silk knit ties well enough, I find that their relative casualness (by tie standards) means they work best with buttondown collar shirts (these being casual shirts, by dress shirt standards). I acknowledge that some people dislike the idea of wearing buttondown collar shirts with suits. I don't entirely agree, although I do recognize that with some suits and in some situations a more formal dress shirt can be a much better choice. Still, something you may wish to keep in mind.

Also, french cuff or barrel cuff?
I wear both, with that morning's choice dependent on exactly what else it is I'll be wearing, the situations in which I expect to find myself over the course of the day, and mostly my mood. (My choice of socks is made in largely similar fashion.)

Personally, if your cufflinks aren't small and understated, I'd just as soon you forgo the French cuffs. I get that some people think it's great to wear "fun" cufflinks, that will attract some attention and get noticed.

But I'm not one of those people.

In fact, you know what? Since you're asking which should be your first 2-3 ties, and seeking advice on which sort of shirt cuffs to wear, I'm thinking that maybe you're not somebody who has been wearing suits and ties on a daily basis for years. (Otherwise, you'd probably already own an assortment of ties, and know which sort of shirt cuffs you prefer.) Such being the case, go with what is, in the United States (assuming that's where you will be working), the more common and "simpler" cuff type - barrel cuffs. Once you've gotten more comfortable wearing suits and ties, then you can experiment with French cuffs. It's not like anybody at your firm is going to be offended that you're wearing barrel cuffs.

And since you ask about ties, let me just toss in this reminder that if a man is wearing a necktie, he ought to be wearing a suit or sport coat, as well. (A sweater may be an acceptable alternative, if seasonally appropriate.) The shirt+tie look, with no jacket over it, is held by many (including me) to be unprofessional and unattractive. Just saying.

Last edited:

theh00d

Reaction score
^ Thank you for the in-depth answer(s) to my question(s).
Appreciate it.
A navy grenadine is probably going to my first choice for tie.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thank you for the in-depth answer(s) to my question(s).
Appreciate it.
A navy grenadine is probably going to my first choice for tie.
samhober.com

Do it.

You'll love it forever.

And if you're in the US, barrel cuff and nothing else for workwear unless you're higher up.

I've always looked at it as you need to kind of 'earn' french cuffs and double breasted suits.

Earn: Very successfull, high level people oriented job.

Reaction score
I signed up on this site to ask you fashion experts if you can pinpoint the brand/model of this black jacket:

Pictured above is what Andrew Garfield wore in the movie "The Social Network". If anyone can pinpoint the make of this jacket I would reeally appreciate it. I really like the look of it.
Somebodys gotta have a clue!

kloss

Reaction score
My Marc Jacobs wool/cashmere hoodie rubbed off onto my peacoat. I thought that it would stop eventually but it is still happening after two months. Is the MJ hoodie overpriced crap? Is it normal to have so many tiny fibers fuzzing, pilling, and rubbing off? Is there some way that I can clean the peacoat without taking it to the dry cleaners, or picking out fibers by hand?

kloss

Reaction score
Regarding two pairs of shoes:
1. I slathered this first pair with Saphir conditioner and wax and now it stinks of turpentine. I've had people move away from me on the bus and its never happened before I started wearing these shoes. Has anybody else experienced this? (warm weather + turpentine smell)
2. My second pair smells like leather and dye. I expect similar results...

What can I do to minimize the turpentine and leather dye smell.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Regarding two pairs of shoes:
1. I slathered this first pair with Saphir conditioner and wax and now it stinks of turpentine. I've had people move away from me on the bus and its never happened before I started wearing these shoes. Has anybody else experienced this? (warm weather + turpentine smell)
2. My second pair smells like leather and dye. I expect similar results...

What can I do to minimize the turpentine and leather dye smell.
I don't know I actually like the smell. It's never been overbearing though, but then again I've never slathered it on.

Namelesshan

Reaction score
Quick question:

I'm new at selling, and I was wondering if it's OK to send an item internationally but the buyer wants sent as gift with priced below what he paid for. He paid $215 and he wants it packaged as $50 gift.

Would there any problem later if something goes wrong?

Thanks in advance

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm selling a 7-fold navy grenadine, link in sig, if you're interested shoot me a PM
Dude

Why are you selling so much awesomeness?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads