1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Consider Meermin and it's closer to $200.

2. Irish

Irish Senior member

3. velomatt

velomatt Well-Known Member

4. mfridman

mfridman Well-Known Member

Busy day tomorrow - dinner with the chairman of the council (big company, about 50 executives will be there), and opera in the evening.

I've already decided on suit, shirt and shoes - navy suit, white shirt, black captoes.

I got several options with the tie, however - burgundy with navy dots, navy with red dots, sky blue with darker blue dots, and a purple on with darker-purple dots.

which one should I go with? I kinda like the look with the burgundy one, but am afraid to look like a politician of some sorts.

5. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

If the burgundy makes you feel good, wear it. You can't go wrong, really, pairing a burgundy tie with a navy suit. I would try the navy, but depends on how red the dots are. If it's fire engine red, don't do it, but if it's a deeper red/maroon sort of colour, that could be quite elegant. If you could conjure a tie, I'd suggest navy/midnight with white pindots. Not seeing the navy tie, I'd vote burgundy to be safe. I'd also wear a white linen, or cotton, pocket square, neatly pressed, and showing a folded edge, but that's entirely optional/personal, and if you're in doubt about it, don't wear it. The key thing is to ensure you feel good, and confident, in what you choose, as this sounds like a rather important opportunity to make a strong impression.

2 people like this.
  6. lawstudent91

lawstudent91 Member

Can I take in a shirt further if it already has darts in the back? Some of the slim fit shirts I have already have darts in them but are still a little too billowy for me.

Thanks.

7. AL FINK

AL FINK Active Member

Take it to an alteration tailor and see what they can do.

If they are willing to do it. They will take the side seam of the shirt in to eliminate the excess fabric.

Remember that you need some fabric for you to sit and move comfortably. Don't take in too much.

8. guccihomme

guccihomme Senior member

Is there a clothing list of what every man should own at a minimum?

I am building a woredrobe. I'm donating clothing to GW as I transition from relaxed casual to higher quality well dressed. I started a month ago and donated all my jeans and several chinos after buying wool trousers.
    I have:

Canali blazer, 3 button dark blue
    Zegna blazer, 2 button dark blue
    Armani SC, 2 button medium charcoal
    Burberry SC, 3 button 100% camel hair
    Hugo Boss SC, 3 button dark brown herringbone
    Croft & Barrow SC, light tan 100% silk
    Brook Brothers blazer, double breasted blue brass buttons
    Mark Shale blazer, 2 button dark blue metallic buttons
    Hart/Marx blazer 2 button dark blue, brass buttons
    Hart/Marx SC 3 button dark brown
    Christian Dior, 2 button blazer dark blue brass buttons

Wool pants: BB very dark brown, Zanella dark charcoal, Zanella medium/dark gray, Zanella medium charcoal with a golden, earth brown and warm red threads woven into the charcoal that looks solid medium charcoal from 10 feet away, Britches very dark blue looks black in low lighting.

Chinos: 2 Eddie Bower light khaki, 1 RL light khaki, Nordstrom light khaki, Nordstrom black

Shirts: BB point collar white and light blue, BB button collar white checkered light blue, Target button collar 1 blue 1 light pink 1 white checkered aqua and gray, Zegna white French cuff, Ike Beher white with glossy white vertical stripes french cuff, Zara Man light blue with thin blue vertical lines french cuff, RL button collar pink, Bugatachi 1 crimson and 1 dark purple/dark blue/ black vertical lines, Armani redish brown looks like velvet texture, CK button collar black, J Crew button collar white crimson checkered, 5 long sleeve linen shirts 1 Saks white, 1 tommy Bahama white 1 Saks light peach 1 bannana republic black and 1 light powder blue with blue, Nat Nast silk black and greyish white, Croft and Barrow silk dark gold

Polo's: RL more than a dozen, half solid colors & half striped, 1 BB gray, Lacoste 1 black 1 red 1 blue, 1 American Eagle black with red lining inside collar, Burberry 1 white 1 red

Shorts: Target cargo 1 black, 1 tan 1 white checkered thick blue and thin gray, RL cargo white,

Shoes: AE Strand walnut, AE Verona black, AE McAllister merlot, Bruno Magli black captors, Sperry topsiders traditional brown (worn out and needs to be replaced)

Watch: Orient Ray diver

Ties: Peter Millar thick powder blue with thin royal blue and white stripes, Peter Millar thick bright red with thin white and blue stripes, wool blue red and gray stripes, 2 club room ties 1 light golden and 1 striped pumpkin and gold.

Sweaters: Nordstrom merino wheat, Scothland Lambswool V-neck dark charcoal, RL cotton very light pale earthy green, RL silk light wheat/tan, AF wool with turtleneck collar medium charcoal with one large red stripe across chest, 1 quarter zip cotton cable knit white

Outerwear; Dark charcoal wool outer coat, RL light jacket black, Vintage Wilson leather bomber jacket brown

9. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

tl;dr

1 person likes this.
  10. jmeb

jmeb Well-Known Member

What shoe is next?

Current line up for biz-casual environment. Lots of days in chinos/oxfords/sweater/tie/odd jacket, less days with wool dress trousers (one a week), and a suit a couple of times a month:
    - Black Cap Toe Oxfords -- AE Byrons
    - Black Roper Cowboy boots by Lucchese -- very nicely polished with no stitching on the vamp. I live in Denver where such boots are quite acceptable. I think of them as the Western version of the Chelsea.
    - Dark Brown Cap Toe -- AE 5th Aves
    - Country tan calf (orangish) longwing blucher -- Random old make -- "Collegiate for French Shriner?". About to require a too-expensive resole for what they are "(and how they fit 1/2 size too big). Will need replacing.
    - Dark brown suede (but lighter than cap toes) shortwing oxfords. Tywrhitt / Barkers.
    - Bass Weejun pennies in a medium brown with contrast stitching. On their last legs.

Other shoes that get worn on more casual / summer days:
    - Natural CXL Oak Street Boot Makers Trench boots.
    - Red Wing Round Toe (now called the Blacksmith) in medium brown.
    - Eastland Camp moc in brown.
    - AE Suede Penny in muted green.
    - Navy boat shoe (LL Bean Sig -- 4 eyelet)

Most of the above have been thrifted and restored by myself with help from my local cobbler (all the dress shoes except the suede shortwings. All the more casual shoes were bought/given new.)

Debating between:
    - Dress loafers. In medium brown or suede? Tassel or penny?
    - Full brogue bluchers. In light brown, tan, or medium brown?

But open to suggestions if you think there is something I am overlooking. (Probably not monkstraps. I'm young, but not very edgy.)

Considering breaking down and placing an order with Meermin for a medium-brown suede loafer, and the country calf blucher (basically a direct replacement for my current shoe.) Would welcome other recommendations in the similar price-range (e.g. AE, Loake, ??, higher-quality but used).

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  11. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Something in burgundy, mahogany, or chestnut. Brogue oxford for first, derby/monk for the other two.

I personally find brown and black chukkas indispensable both to have an extra pair of black/brown shoes in case I need them twice in a row and because I find then generally versatile. That said it doesn't seem like they fill a gap that much.

12. craig91

craig91 New Member

Hello,

I'm 23 years old and roughly 6' and 160 lbs with dirty blonde hair. I think I'd like to wear a navy dress vest with a dress shirt with DARK blue slim-fit jeans and tan coloured dress shoes (new years outfit).

I would like to know if this would be a good mix? As I mentioned it's for new years and the goal is to look good without over doing it (or under doing it) - a blazer is simply too much and I will get extremely hot quick and end up taking it off. I'll be at a club (not a trashy ghetto one) and it is new years after-all.

Currently I am considering a white or light gray dress shirt to go under the vest. Am I headed in the right direction? Any suggestions or tips on what would be best?

13. guccihomme

guccihomme Senior member

Wound dark brown trousers match with a gray sports coat.

14. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

OK since I picked on your novel the least I can do is try and answer this much less open-ended question. This can be kind of a tricky pairing. Make sure that the brown and grey are sufficiently far enough apart in colour to be visibly different (i.e. one doesn't look like a faded version of the other). Also this will go a lot better if there is a textural difference between the two, like if the trousers are smooth worsted and the coat is tweed or something.

It's not exactly the same as what you're asking but I wear chocolate brown cords with a light grey sweater all the time.

15. guccihomme

guccihomme Senior member

Thank you for the reply. I paired a medium gray with a dark chocolate brown that has a subtle red windowpane. But I love your answer of different textures, that's a winning look to my eye. Thank you!

16. shoejunky

shoejunky New Member

Hi, I'm looking for a recommendation in footwear insoles specifically for increased comfort. It looks like most insoles are a type of EVA but I was wondering if anyone has experience using a cork insole. I know that footwear mid-soles are commonly made of cork because they shape to your feet and over time make for a more comfortable day of use. For an insole would you stick with EVA or is cork a good option.

Thanks!

17. guccihomme

guccihomme Senior member

[​IMG]

I thrifted this dress shirt that fits me perfectly. The buttons are crumbling off. Does anyone know where to buy buttons like the ones on the shirt? Would it look okay to replace all the buttons with light colored mother of pearl?

This is the nicest shirt I've ever felt. I've never seen this brand in a store. It says 100% cotton and made in Italy. I would be happy to add more of these shirts to my wardrobe.

18. EPrest90

EPrest90 Senior member

I'm a suit noob. How/when can i wear a suit made of oxford cloth, specifically in a mid-light grey color? Or do suit materials not really matter? Thanks

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  19. Feryll

Feryll Well-Known Member

I want to buy a navy casual coat for winter. Would this go as classic menswear or it is too military influenced ? Will this go with a briefcase too or I should wear it only with a messenger bag ?
    I wear chinos and wool pants with dress shirts and sportcoats or wool/cashmere sweaters and classic goodyear welted calf or shell shoes.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  20. circumspice

circumspice Senior member

That coat plays up the military inspiration heavily - the buttons going all the way up is unusual. It looks short - if it doesn't cover the lengths of you suit/sport coats, that is a terrible look. So, it may not be as versatile as you'd like