• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is fact alone that shoes are sewn make them better than glued ones? I've seen kinda inexpensive leather/leather sole, with a inprint inside "hand sewn in Italy".
Shoe is for 125$ was for 200$ before. So is it already a sign of better quality compared with glued shoes or it means nothing?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In almost all cases sewing > gluing.

Inker19

Reaction score
1. What color jackets would match with a pair of navy blue odd trousers?

2. Is there a method for removing sewn-in collar stays? I recently picked up a dress shirt thrifting that fits me perfectly, but the collar stays are sewn-in. Normally, I would live with that, but I just invested in some brass collar stays, so I'd like to remove them if possible.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I'd go light grey. And leave the stays; get some more shirts you can use them in, I'm sure you'll need more than one!

AndrewN

Reaction score
Is this tie grenadine? It looks like garza fina or garza piccola. Any second opinions would be appreciated. Thank you

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Is fact alone that shoes are sewn make them better than glued ones? I've seen kinda inexpensive leather/leather sole, with a inprint inside "hand sewn in Italy".
Shoe is for 125$ was for 200$ before. So is it already a sign of better quality compared with glued shoes or it means nothing?

In almost all cases sewing > gluing.

that's what my gut tells me as well, thanks:)

And gluing means no re-crafting, so your $125 shoe will not last. A few more buck$ and you can get into a Goodyear welt that can be re-soled and re-heeled many, many times and last a lifetime. So with that in mind, buy a classic that is not likely to go in and out of fashion.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
1. What color jackets would match with a pair of navy blue odd trousers?

2. Is there a method for removing sewn-in collar stays? I recently picked up a dress shirt thrifting that fits me perfectly, but the collar stays are sewn-in. Normally, I would live with that, but I just invested in some brass collar stays, so I'd like to remove them if possible.

I'd go light grey. And leave the stays; get some more shirts you can use them in, I'm sure you'll need more than one!

1. For summer I use a blue/white gingham SC with blue trou.

2. +1 on Mimo's comment. Leave them and then buy some better shirts that you can accept your brass stays. Most shirts with built-in stays are not anything special, but if you have a woodner for this shirt you could use cuticle scissors and cut a neat line on on the top of the stay and pull it out, but be aware- if you do this the collar will eventually fall apart in the washer.

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Is this tie grenadine? It looks like garza fina or garza piccola. Any second opinions would be appreciated. Thank you Doesn't look like it to me. Here is a close up of a grenadine tie

AndrewN

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I'm still on the fence about this tie though. It's texture reminds me David Hober's grenadine garza fina, which Claghorn posed pictures of on the previous page

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It is similar, but I don't think it's grenadine. I've not ever seen a grenadine which isn't one of those four weaves. So if it is similar to one of those four, then it isn't grenadine. If it is the same, it is.

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
1. For summer I use a blue/white gingham SC with blue trou.

2. +1 on Mimo's comment. Leave them and then buy some better shirts that you can accept your brass stays. Most shirts with built-in stays are not anything special, but if you have a woodner for this shirt you could use cuticle scissors and cut a neat line on on the top of the stay and pull it out, but be aware- if you do this the collar will eventually fall apart in the washer.
Like this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads