1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Colonel Forbin

Colonel Forbin New Member

Thanks for the feedback, CruzAzul and WorldWideWafflz. I'll polish the bourbon and walnut and go from there.

2. click here

click here Well-Known Member

How much do finamore shirts usually retail for? I was just in the outlet in Milan and they were selling them for 65 euros in my size. Is that a good price?

3. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

hey guys, as a follow up to my Jamaica wedding attire question. i think i am going with light grey trousers.

what material should i go with that looks smart but won't wear too warm?

also, for on top i am going with a navy blue linen blazer and a white linen shirt

where can i find a somewhat dressier linen white shirt that will look good with this outfit?

and lastly...will white bucks look really odd with this? thanks.

4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

White bucks probably would look a little odd with grey trousers. Have you considered off white trousers or cream or even khaki? A cotton / linen mix would keep a crease but wear light as would good quality linen.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. thefastlife

i hadn't really thought of that but those other color ideas aren't bad. you think that would work for a beach wedding? never been to a wedding anything less casual than a suit and tie.

any brands to check out for the trousers and shirt?

6. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

Off white trousers / khaki chinos and a blue blazer is about as formal as you can get in the semi-formal spectrum. Think MCC members at Lord's for the cricket or tennis at Wimbledon, Members enclosure at Henley Royal Regatta etc. - there's absolutely no chance it won't look right, especially in the relaxed settings of a beach. Whilst classic it can look both formal and stylish if done well and with the right fitting clothes.

Depends on the overall look you're going for but for trousers it'd be better PT01 or Incotex for a more youthful look. As for the linen shirts your options are more varied, yet you'll want one with a stiffer collar if you're wearing a tie.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  7. thefastlife

incotex is what i am keeping my eye out for (on ebay). not familiar with PT01 but a quick google search shows they're a bit out of my price range.

im really trying to lean towards the more stylish side. so now that i have a general idea about the trousers, i need to narrow down the shirt search. probably going no tie, a few buttons open. so collar being stiff isn't mandatory.

thanks!

8. Jurgis

Jurgis Well-Known Member

I live in Michigan, and my feet get cold in the winter, so I like to wear wool socks instead of the usual business dress socks. I put some on today and obviously my shoes are tighter; a bit too tight for comfort. I find myself considering buying a second set of shoes, a half size larger for winter. Am I crazy?

9. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

^ there are plenty of wool dress sock options. Check BB for their OTC wool dress socks for example (order them during sales which stack with a 25% off 3 or more promotion). Also consider thermal sock liners -- thin but warm. See terramar on amazon for example. They are silk.

10. f800gs

f800gs Well-Known Member

Smartwool and many others offer thin wool dress socks. The Nordstrom house brand wool dress socks are pretty good and not too hard on the wallet.

11. Jurgis

Jurgis Well-Known Member

^^Thanks. I'll check into those brands.

12. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

Missed your reply before. Thanks; I will check them out. Found an almost, but not quite at rack (low rise was the final nail on it) and a great suit at Nordstrom's but it was more than the MtM my tailor can do, which I want more, so that would've been silly. Are they in Seattle, or do you just me from them because they have good, affordable, stuff?

13. riverflow

riverflow Well-Known Member

They were a pretty big player on here a few years ago. I think I'm the first to reorder from them in a while, but they're located and ship out of CA.
    Most of the reviews are that the materials are good, construction is solid, and you can spend the money on a tailor. I will agree with them.

1 person likes this.
  14. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

15. sean anon

sean anon Well-Known Member

16. thefastlife

how do you guys get wrinkles out of stubborn cotton chinos. even with ironing it seems they're impossible to get fully crisp...

17. mahfuzur

mahfuzur New Member

going to a weekend soon. I wanted to do something a little more vibrant than what i would usually do, but think i might have gone too bright. any opinions on this? (suit is a 3 piece, vest not shown in pic)

the purple in the tie is darker than the shirt, the flash just makes it look brighter.

also read, brown shoes are too informal, so im going with black wingtips, is that major faux pas or am i thinking too deep into things,

also any reccomendations on a flower lapel and pocket square color combination? maybe one or the other or both together? i was thinking possible something yellow or is that color overkill?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  18. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Well-Known Member

Steamer. Then trouser press.

19. Businessness

Businessness Well-Known Member

Why do natural fibres like denim, leather, wool get better with wear and age whereas synthetic materials like polyester and nylon at best only looks as good as it did new and at worst regresses

20. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Because millions of years of evolution has lead to much better materials than what people can come up with in a single century of messing with plastics.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    2 people like this.