Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. SwampThang

SwampThang New Member

I am wondering if anyone has any insight into the Johnston & Murphy's "Heritage" line - is it something they made specifically for their outlet stores, or was it once a legit collection? I ask, because I'm thinking of bidding on these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/VG-Mens-Johnston...e#ht_500wt_945

there's very little info online, and at the very least, it's not a current line that Johnston & Murphy carry. Any help, and even opinions on these jammers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

2. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Sometimes when people list what they're wearing in the WAYWRN thread, they'll put something like "<thing1> for <thing2>." (A recent example is "LP for Fortnum&Mason London.")

What does this mean? Does it mean <thing1> is the manufacturer, and they produced the garment especially for merchant <thing2>?

Also, in the above example, what manufacturer is "LP" an abbreviation for?

- Keith

3. Duban

Duban New Member

So I just got a pair of Naked & Famous jeans in the mail today. I ordered a size 29 because I have heard that you should size down due to stretch, but I cant even button them. My usual size is a 30. Is there any way to accelerate stretching out the waist? What should I do?

4. rahul

rahul Well-Known Member

Sprezzatura.

EZ

Any suggestions on how to make it work with only 6 letters/numbers for a license plate? Thanks

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

So I just got a pair of Naked & Famous jeans in the mail today. I ordered a size 29 because I have heard that you should size down due to stretch, but I cant even button them. My usual size is a 30. Is there any way to accelerate stretching out the waist? What should I do?

you did the wrong thing. if anything get true size or one size higher. naked runs tts, and stretches minimally from my experience.

the main reason why they are too tight is because naked makes their jeans top block too narrow in the hip area.

most jeans may have a true to size waist, but it is a longer diameter a few inches down the top block where the hips will be , not with n&f, it widens minimally and i remember experiencing pelvic crushing fits with my weirdguy 14oz jean

6. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

7. SwampThang

SwampThang New Member

my understanding with raw denim is that you still want to be able to button your pants before they're washed. if anything, the pants will shrink a bit. BUT you could try wetting them (or washing them in cold water) and stretching them over the back of a dining room chair. Just be careful not to drip excess dye on your sweet, sweet chair.

If somebody has more experience w/Naked & Famous, I'd go with that, though.

8. chyrspchuck

chyrspchuck Active Member

I found a NWT Ralph Lauren Blue Label 3 piece on sale down from 495$ now 128$, I believe they are half canvassed, does it sound worth it?

9. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Which one of these if one is looking for a pair of tought boots

Alfred Sargent Kelso
    [​IMG]

Grenson Alfie
    [​IMG]

10. bma

bma Senior member

how do you get the sides of a suit to follow your torso when it's unbuttoned? for example, how is it that with some people, their suits have a tapered silhoutte as if they were buttoned when it's unbuttoned? is it just the quality/cut of the suit?

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sometimes when people list what they're wearing in the WAYWRN thread, they'll put something like "<thing1> for <thing2>." (A recent example is "LP for Fortnum&Mason London.")

What does this mean? Does it mean <thing1> is the manufacturer, and they produced the garment especially for merchant <thing2>?

Also, in the above example, what manufacturer is "LP" an abbreviation for?

- Keith

Correct. LP in that case (Im guessing) is Loro Piana for Fortnum & Mason. You will see this mostly for houses that make fabric (Zegna too) who lend their name to another label. Edward Green for Cole Haan, Etc.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Any suggestions on how to make it work with only 6 letters/numbers for a license plate? Thanks
    6? NY gets 8? SPRZZZ for 6 SPRZATRA for 8 edit- both available in NY state...

13. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

Someone mentioned this, but "SPREZZ" is good, or alternately you could use "SPREZ"

EZ

14. SpooPoker

Someone mentioned this, but "SPREZZ" is good, or alternately you could use "SPREZ" EZ

15. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Sometimes when people list what they're wearing in the WAYWRN thread, they'll put something like "<thing1> for <thing2>." (A recent example is "LP for Fortnum&Mason London."). What does this mean? Does it mean <thing1> is the manufacturer, and they produced the garment especially for merchant <thing2>? Also, in the above example, what manufacturer is "LP" an abbreviation for? - Keith
    basically all designers just come up with the ideas for their clothes but then contract out the actual manufacturing to various shops. Around here, people try to look past the final designer label and see who actually made the item. So if it's LP for F&M, in that case, F&M decided to make a house brand and has contracted LP to make it for them. I don't know what LP stands for off hand, also because I don't even know why type of object you're talking about. As an average joe consumer most people don't even realize this process. It's not like Giorgio Armani actually makes the stuff. For the most part, they make a design, then buy the fabric from one place (let's say a mill in England or Italy), potentially run their own factory or could be contracted out to someone who then manufacturers the garment (hence the made in china tag). It could even be finished somewhere else, like an old italian grandma sews on one final button and voila, made in Italy. knowing the quality of the various factories is important because you can score high quality stuff with unheard of or random brand names, or avoid good brand names that have used bad factories for some of their sub lines/models.
    I found a NWT Ralph Lauren Blue Label 3 piece on sale down from 495$ now 128$, I believe they are half canvassed, does it sound worth it?
    sounds like a pretty good deal to me. more importantly, does it fit and look and feel good on you. If it does, it's worth $495, if not, it's worth $0. personally I don't get too hung up on the diff between full and half canvass, since it's just the bottom part of the jacket. fused to half is a big difference, half to full, meh, doesn't bother me.
    how do you get the sides of a suit to follow your torso when it's unbuttoned? for example, how is it that with some people, their suits have a tapered silhoutte as if they were buttoned when it's unbuttoned? is it just the quality/cut of the suit?
    basically yes, it's a matter of proper fit and cut. when I unbutton my jackets, they may open up an inch or two max, but generally sit the same way as if they were buttoned up.