1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member

How about austerity brogues? I personally love the look.

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Austerity brogues are far more elegant.

3. AL FINK

AL FINK Active Member

Thanks for the input, but i would aim towards both business and casual wears. Austerity brogues is way too elegant and I might need to stretch my budget for them.

For more info, I'm a fresh graduate getting a job soon. I already own 2 oxford captoe; in black(Loake) and dark brown(Meermin).

4. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

Since you're wanting to wear both in business and casual settings, I would definitely go with the long wing.

5. AL FINK

AL FINK Active Member

Nice idea.. I totally forgot about long wing blucher. I'll give it a try.

6. RazorD

RazorD Member

[​IMG]

Advice on a tie choice for a wedding this Sunday night?

7. RazorD

RazorD Member

Better photo view
    [​IMG]

8. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Senior member

When measuring the collar of a dress shirt, I'm a little confused. My best fitting shirt is labeled as a 15" neck/collar on the tag but when measuring a shirt for Modern Tailor they say measure the neck/collar of your best fitting shirt from the middle of the button to the middle of the button hole like this:
    [​IMG]

The problem I'm having is when I do this I get 14", not 15. So I submitted 14" but it just feels absurd to me that there is such a discrepancy from the tag and my measurement. Basically I'm unsure whether I made the right choice in submitting 14". Doubly so simply because when there is a shirt with 14" on the tag, I can't even come close to buttoning it. Let me know please. Thanks.

9. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Senior member

*deleted double post*

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  10. Ryan500

Ryan500 New Member

Hello I'm Ryan. Good forum.
    I am about to buy 2 sports coats.

My question is this:

I have dark blonde hair and need to know which color casual sports coats would go best with my skin tone/hair color. I want to get two casual sports coats that will still be classics in color 10 years from now yet will still look good being worn as I intend to wear them, with no cuffs/short sleeve shirts. I prefer solid or majority solid colors and don't want navy blue as I have it already. Basically I need to know what are the other classics that are must have's color wise for my attributes.

Thanks for your answers.

[​IMG]

11. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

12. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

Agreed on the third. Unless you think most attendees will be dressed pretty formally, in which case I'd go with the first.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  13. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I assume dark and subtle glen plaid is appropriate for a wedding, but what about a funeral? What if it's a semi-lax/casual one, ie society not super strict about dresscodes, most people involved do not wear suits very often. I am asking for a friend.

[​IMG]

It looks more subtle/dark in real life. Basically I have just had a suit made up in this material and my friend wants it for their general summer/lighter weight suit, but they don't wear suits much and wonder if it'd be versatile enough. They already have winter weight solids.

To clarify it wouldn't be a suit for the purpose of funerals especially, but curious if it would fit the bill as the person doesn't wear suits very often so if they did get a suit they'd like to be able to wear it to one.

If not what about:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  14. gaahound

gaahound New Member

I'm starting an internship next month and I'm looking to get a bag to carry my laptop, documents etc. that looks fairly fashionable. I'm thinking leather. Just wondering if any of you have some suggestions for a good leather briefcase/laptop bag? I'm willing to spend $100 or just over it.

Cheers

15. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

It may not be as ideal as, say, solid charcoal, but it's dark and the pattern's subtle, so as a real world thing your friend could wear it and be okay.

Funerals are not fashion shows. Sure, one should make an effort to dress respectfully, but anybody who criticizes a funeral attendee for being other than ideally attired has his priorities somewhat screwed up.

16. riverflow

riverflow Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

What brands/cuts would you guys recommend I look for to get a 'modern' trimmer look? I'm a 42 (thin) jacket, 33-34 waist. Athletic build, broad shoulders, sizable thighs/tuchus.

So far I've found Canali looks like it would be a good start

17. drdapper

drdapper New Member

Hi all, just snagged a new navy suit from Express at a really great price. It is a great suit but I'm not overly happy with the quality of the buttons so I'm thinking about switching them out for something nicer. Any thoughts on what to use or where I can get them?

18. riverflow

riverflow Well-Known Member

Luxeswap's ebay page has some vintage Brooks button sets, Edit: SF members get free shipping, so they're as low as $10. I saw them earlier today, look through here.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  19. mouseandcat

mouseandcat Senior member

COLOR COMBO: walnut cordovan dalton + light grey wool pants (already own) + Jacket(?)
    ======
    I don't have any odd jackets so I want to get a new one. I'm thinking of pairing my light grey wool pants with a royal blue or a "bright" blue (not north carolina blue). I imagine the jacket buttons will be white. Does this combination make sense? Thanks. Any other suggestions for a jacket color?

20. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I'd avoid pairing a light grey pant with a light jacket -- you want measurably lighter or darker. If you have no jackets at all, maybe get something with a pattern that you can also wear with staples like khakis, denim, etc.

[​IMG] [​IMG]