• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Who cares? Whether it was made for shooting, walking or just "looking country", it's a beauty! But if you don't like it, and it's kind of a big size..PM me...(and if it helps, I was born at Trelisk...!)

jamestruro

Reaction score
Well, I like knowing what I'm wearing - and it'd be nice to wear it in the spirit in which it was intended to be used for!

re: size it's probably about a 40R - and just about right for me, I'm afraid; I'll most likely be hanging onto it!
smile.gif
If I ever get tired of it, though, I'll let you know...

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
And if I ever lose about sixty pounds, I'll let you know!

Well it looks in great condition, so whatever the intention it doesn't seem to have done much actual deerstalking/peasant shooting etc. I would suggest accompanying it with some sturdy boots and a thick walking cane, and sitting in the corner of a posh pub with an eternally half-full real ale, peering over a copy of Horse & Hound and scowling at tourists. I suspect that might have been its previous life.

Enjoy it - it's beautiful!

decogeo

Reaction score
What would you call the shade of blue Montezemolo is wearing on this pic? I've been looking at shades of blue on wikipedia but the difference between some of these shades are fairly subtle, and the page is not well organized to allow for comparisons. If someone knows a good source for identifying colors that would be helpful too. Thanks.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would anyone mind to give some suggestions for a shirt/tie/trouser (color/fabric) combo for this sport coat? I will be wearing it at work (business casual).
Lots of things, just make sure either the tie or the shirt is a solid. As for trousers, tan, brown, olive, navy. Stay away from grays or blacks.

jamestruro

Reaction score
And if I ever lose about sixty pounds, I'll let you know!

Well it looks in great condition, so whatever the intention it doesn't seem to have done much actual deerstalking/peasant shooting etc. I would suggest accompanying it with some sturdy boots and a thick walking cane, and sitting in the corner of a posh pub with an eternally half-full real ale, peering over a copy of Horse & Hound and scowling at tourists. I suspect that might have been its previous life.

Enjoy it - it's beautiful!

I wonder if 'peasant' is a malapropism or not? Either way, since found in the Cotswolds, probably not inappropriate! :)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would anyone mind to give some suggestions for a shirt/tie/trouser (color/fabric) combo for this sport coat?

Lots of possibilities. Why don't you offer some of your choices, and we can comment on them if they seem amiss?

Oh, what the heck, if only so as not to be criticized as unhelpful, I'll suggest brown wool pants, an ecru shirt, and a green tie. All solid colors, since the jacket's got pattern enough, all by itself.

These colors could work pretty much year 'round (particularly if you vary the shade of green represented by the tie). I chose ecru, rather than white, because the color will do everything white could do in this combination, while bringing along some minor advantages of its own - for example, some complexions which can look washed out next to a white shirt, fare better next to ecru. Besides, anybody can pull a white shirt out of the closet; ecru is at least a little less commonly seen (for all that it's hardly an exotic shirt color choice).

Let me add that I think making the ecru shirt an OCBD, and the green tie a bow tie (wool in the winter, silk or cotton in the summer), would be a fine option.

As for the brown pants, I'm well aware of the "no brown in the city" rule (which has only limited validity, in any case). But to whatever extent one chooses to honor it, it's largely a rule involving conservative business attire. Your sport coat is, itself, a rather casual item. Therefore, one has no cause to criticize the wearing of brown pants with it as impairing its formality, or rendering it insufficiently formal for business wear. (Fine, if you're still not convinced, just don't wear the brown pants with this sport coat if you're conducting business in London. Problem solved.)

I'd wear a white linen pocket square with it. And burgundy loafers (simply because I like loafers). And probably one of my yellow (gold) wristwatches, rather than a white metal one. But I readily concede that the wristwatch thing is more of a personal choice of mine, than it is some rule of proper accessorizing. And a pair of yellow and red over-the-calf argyle socks.

If I were wearing the outfit described, and were going to be wearing sunglasses, I'd grab my faux tortoise shell Ray Ban Clubmasters.

There. That detailed enough for you?

Redline9k

Reaction score
Anyone have input on decent punchcap dress shoes in black with a narrower toe/last than AE Fifth Ave? Id like to keep it under 350.

The AE rutledge is about perfect, but i cant bring myself to pay 450+ for a pair of AE's...getting into CJ territory.

Last edited:

azumi

Reaction score
What types of shoes is more suitable for outdoor activities, grain leather or suede (both are dainite soles)?

decogeo

Reaction score
What types of shoes is more suitable for outdoor activities, grain leather or suede (both are dainite soles)?

Not knowing exactly what kind of outdoor activities you have in mind, I would say grain leather as it is easier to clean. For proper outdoors I would go with a technical shoe with a gore-tex membrane.

swedishguy

Reaction score

azumi

Reaction score
Not knowing exactly what kind of outdoor activities you have in mind, I would say grain leather as it is easier to clean. For proper outdoors I would go with a technical shoe with a gore-tex membrane.
Thank you, I mean going picnic like fishing, walking on uneven and rough ground, maybe a little wet surface, I don't climb up a mountain or something like that.

Last edited:

decogeo

Reaction score
Azumi: OK, in that case it's really a matter of personal preference then. I guess Suede would be more difficult to clean if it's muddy, that's all. And dainite soles can be slippery on wet ground, especially on rock, but not a big issue if you're careful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads