1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. abl

abl Well-Known Member

I just bought these impulsively. Thoughts? They're my first pair of shell cordovan shoes.

What colors would they go well with? And how formal are they? E.g., should I pair with a suit? With slacks? With jeans?

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. yeknal

yeknal Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Noob here... I bought this pretty cheep during a Christmas sale at jcrew and only paired it with dark denim so far... Can this jacket be paired with odd trousers and if so what color/texture? Not a big fan of the narrow lapel or single vent so I may just stick with denim

3. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I mean they are brown derbies they will go with most things from "dressy" jeans to most suits, though some prefer not pairing derbies with suits of course. It's fairly versatile. I'd say they work best in the middle of the spectrum, so a trousers and jacket/blazer, mid-gray flannels or khaki, etc.

4. WayneMitchell

WayneMitchell Member

Suggestions on where to find slimmer fitting single-pleat trousers for around $200?

5. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I'd resist the temptation to overdo the theme. Wear a tasteful seasonably-appropriate suit and just add a gold pocket square (or tie if you're into that sort of thing).

6. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Go to the Suitsupply at 16th & Locust and pick out one of their lighter coloured, single-breasted linen suits. I like the Havana in grey or the Copenhagen cotton/linen in tan. They have an in-house tailor so when you get the best fitting suit see if there's a ripple in the upper back and if so, have him fix it (it's an easy adjustment) at the same time they hem the trousers for you.

White shirt, brown shoes. Buy one of my pocket squares. :D

7. flewislog

flewislog Member

New styleforum member here. I picked up a Edios wool/cashmere herringbone sportcoat today for a good price. There is thread on the shoulder and buttons and thread in the inside pocket. No buttons on the cuff. Can someone please tell me what I need to do? Thanks!

8. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Go to a tailor, and have him put on the buttons.

Not sure what the stitching on the shoulders is for, but all the high-end brands (which I don't shop, so IDK) do it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  9. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

How's the quality on LBM Sartoria unstructured SC?

10. MrNestor

MrNestor Senior member

A size-question on blazers/jackets.

What are some brands that would fit me length-wise in a 48R? I'm 187 cm (6'1).

To cover my behind I need about 78 cm back length. I go for a 48L (94) in Suitsupply but I'm having a hard time finding other jackets that fit well.

I have a few Bogliolis in their Coat-line which is decent, but still too short in my opinion. I tried a K-jacket and it was better, but still short I guess. Kiton was horribly short, LBM is too short.

Do you think a separate sportcoat should be shorter or should I still go for the 'correct' length?

11. dylankatz

dylankatz Member

Hi everyone:

I'm new here and not nearly as knowledgeable as some of you. I'm starting an online mens accessories retailer and the only tie wholesalers I've found so far have ties that look good, but would have to be priced on the low end of the spectrum. I would probably price them around $20. I know many of you buy ties for a lot more but I was wondering if, from your experience, there are a substantial number of people who buy ties for that price.

Any other tips/hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

12. jermyzy

jermyzy Active Member

Hi guys, bought a casual blazer on sale. Can I get some advice on sleeve length and jacket length? Jacket length looks a little long in the picture, but it falls to where my fingers curl and first knuckle of thumb...so is the length okay? Sleeve length looks a little long as it goes just past my shirt cuffs, but is it bad enough that I should get it tailored shorter? Any other thoughts? (Don't mind the back sticking out, I haven't taken out the stitchings in the vents yet). Your help is greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. SamF

SamF Well-Known Member

Yeah I think the sleeves definitely need shortening, on your right hand in particular the jacket sleeve looks like it's creeping over the palm of your hand.

14. JohnnyMarr

JohnnyMarr Well-Known Member

Hi,

I want a pair of basic black oxfords. I had previously thought of the Church's City Line Hong Kong, but given that they've increased in price by about £25 in the last year or so, I don't think it's worth it.

Was thinking more a basic C&J http://www.crockettandjones.com/product/connaught-black#.U-370_ldWSo

A better option than the Church Hong Kong, surely? I did like the toe box of the Hong Kong...

Am I right going for the C&J?

15. Spurious

Spurious Senior member

C&J is never a bad choice and I think Church's are a bit frowned upon since they were taken over by Prada (?).
    Otherwise have a look at Carmina.

16. Eastman

Eastman Well-Known Member

what´s the proper belt width for chinos and khakis?

17. abl

abl Well-Known Member

Your jacket length is fine. In fact, IMO, any shorter and you're looking at a jacket that's going to become dated-looking pretty quickly. Your sleeves are too long. They should end at about the break of your wrist (where your thumb stops curving in to your arm), and these go past on both arms. I do think that it's worth getting them fixed -- even though it's only a small fix, I think one of the easier ways to look nice in a suit is to flash just that little bit of white on both of your sleeves ... and this suit's not going to allow that (unless you get a shirt with too-long sleeves). FWIW, the cost of getting sleeves tailored like this, because it's a small fix, should be minimal -- <$50 total. Probably it's a minor enough adjustment that your tailor won't need to mess around with your buttonholes or take it in from the shoulder.

18. nmoore82

nmoore82 Senior member

It depends who your target market is. There are going to be a lot of people who see spending a lot of money on a tie as ludicrous and only be prepared to spend a small amount. Go for it.

Are you able to touch and see the quality of the tie in person before ordering? If you can, obtain a sample and post on here what people think of the design(s) before agreeing to a mass order.

Good luck with your venture. Post a link when you're up and running!

19. JohnnyMarr

JohnnyMarr Well-Known Member

Thanks - I like the look of Carmina's shoes - I take it that their only retail outlets are in Spain?

Would be nice to try on before buying (I'm in London).

20. Spurious

Spurious Senior member

I assume there are stores that sell them in London, ask in the Carmina thread, people should be able to point you in the right direction.