• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

xensphere

Reaction score
Should button-down collars be made with a lining to stiffen it up or without one for a softer roll?

sfaith

Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanna know the brand of the jacket in the pic below or at least a similar one. And if I want to tailor one, what fabric should I go for? Cotton?

bluesportscoatwhiteshir.jpg

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xensphere
Should button-down collars be made with a lining to stiffen it up or without one for a softer roll?
Typically the softer roll is preferred on a button-down collar.

Vazfinest1

Reaction score
Happy easter everybody. I recently purchased some dark brown desert/chukka boots. I know this is probably a dumb question but I was wondering if the dark brown boots could only be paired with dark colored navy jeans, and various color chino's? Also would a medium or a lighter wash jean work with brown desert boots. Thanks in advance!

kapay

Reaction score
How easy is it for a tailor to take in the waist of a suit? Can it ruin the integrity of the suit like when you attempt to alter the shoulders?

Also, if you hem the sleeves significantly, what happens to the buttons? Does a tailor move them up as well or will there just be less space there/remove a button?

(I found a suit that fits well in the shoulders but a little boxy in the waist. I'm also a short guy and it doesn't come in short.)

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MaxHeadroom
My question is, does the leather start wearing or tearing at the lace holes if there is no protective eyelet? Particularly after "pulling" at the laces tightly when lacing them up each time?
At least 3 pair of shoes I have look to be just the leather on the outside but have metal reinforcement on the inside. Some of the metal is surprisingly thick and robust.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kapay
How easy is it for a tailor to take in the waist of a suit? Can it ruin the integrity of the suit like when you attempt to alter the shoulders?

Also, if you hem the sleeves significantly, what happens to the buttons? Does a tailor move them up as well or will there just be less space there/remove a button?

(I found a suit that fits well in the shoulders but a little boxy in the waist. I'm also a short guy and it doesn't come in short.)

Taking in the waist of a jacket, within a reason bounds, is a common and relatively simple alteration. On sleeve alterations, the tailor can and should move the buttons up although I have seen some tailors simply leave a button or two off the sleeve. If your jacket has working buttonholes on the sleeves, it cannot be shortened except by removing the sleeve from the shoulder and shortening it there, a more involved and expensive alteration.

shan

Reaction score
Does somebody know what brand and model are these glasses?
oprawki.png

Montrachet

Reaction score
Who makes the shoes at Paul Stuart? Alden?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If a I buy a decent blazer with lockstiched cuff buttons; is it possible for a decent tailor to putt in surgeon's Cuffs? Or even artificial button holes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads